The most important growing condition for Buddleia is well draining soil, this is essential, so when choosing a spot for your Buddleia make sure the water drains freely through the soil, if it doesn't, either find another spot or dig over the soil putting in plenty of organic material and gardening sand to raise the level of the soil.
- Some loam based compost
- Clean seed trays
- A small amount of fine light coloured sand
- Peat pots
Plant Category: shrubs.
Tolerances: drought, deer, heat & humidity, pollution, rabbits, seashore, but must have free draining soil.
Light Range: Sun to Full Sun
pH Range: 5.5 to 6.5
Soil Range: Mostly Sand to Some Clay
Water Range: Semi-Arid to Moist
Bloomtime Range: Early Summer to Mid Autumn
US Hardiness Zones 5-10. Buddleia will die to the ground in winter in zones 5 and 6 but it comes back in spring.
7. In Scotland the Grampians, Highlands and locally in the Southern Uplands, in England the Pennines and in Wales the highest part of Snowdonia.
8. Most of England, Wales and Scotland, and parts of central Ireland.
9. Most of western and southern England and Wales, western Scotland, also a very narrow coastal fringe on the east coast of Scotland and northeast England (within 5 km of the North Sea), London, and most of Ireland.
10. Very low lying coastal areas of the southwest of Ireland and the Isles of Scilly.