My name is Dan Kitay. I am your 3877 Pack
Trainer and one of my jobs is to help all parents and leaders to complete the training requirements. Not only is it required
of all leaders, it also helps to build a strong pack and the best possible
experience for our cubs. The Pack goal is to have all registered adults and leaders earn the Trained Leader emblem and patch that is shown below. Earning this requires each of us to
take a minimum of 3 online courses and one instructor-led course.
Coming local Training opportunities are listed here:
5/8 - In classroom Leader specific training in Thousand Oaks - Den Leaders, Committee leaders.
Saturday, May 8, 2010 @ 8 a.m.
1600 Erbes Road, Thousand Oaks
Cost: $5 (Materials Fee)
See attachment below for more details and contact info as you need to pre-register for this.
The minimum requirements is to complete these three online courses:
1) This is Scouting
2) Youth Protection
3) Fast Start for your position - Pack Committee or for Den Leaders the Tiger, Cub (for Wolf & Bear) or Webelos Fast Start training
plus one classroom training
4) Leader Specific Council training for your position - Cubmaster and Assistant, Den Leaders and Assistants and all Pack Committee members
Webelos Leaders should also attend the Webelo Den Leader Outdoor Council training.
Other Training for the safety of your Cubs includes (Supplemental Training):
Safe Swim Defense
CPR & First Aid
Other Leader Training and Resources include:
Trainer Development Conference or EDGE - Explain, Demonstrate, Guide and Enable course
Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO) - required by leaders to enable planning and implementation of a Pack Camp out
Wood Badge is advanced training in leadership skills for all adults in BSA programs.
Tracking Training Certificates
Send copies of all Training Certificates to your Pack Trainer - hand deliver to a den or pack meeting or copy/paste into an email is fine too. Once received you will be recorded in the Pack DB for completing each course. Your Pack does not get notified of any completed training - you must provide this information to your Pack Trainer.
How to Take the Online Training Courses
1) Go online to the eLearning page (here is the URL if you wish to paste it elsewhere https://myscouting.scouting.org/Pages/eLearning.aspx
You will need to
login and if you haven’t yet created a MyScouting account, you will need
to. When registering or creating your account it is best to have your BSA ID number so that any training taken is recorded at the BSA level.
2) After login, click on the Training tab and then the Cub Scout tab and you can take the Fast Track training for your position.
3) Click on the General tab and under Basic Training take the Youth Protection Training course followed by the Quiz.
4) On the General tab, take the This is Scouting course. I believe its closer to an hour in length with small quiz questions along the way. Over time please take the Supplemental training which enables us to take the Cubs on various outings and events.
5) Please confirm on the eLearning page that the system shows the courses you have taken, print your certificates and if you like you can copy/paste your certificates of completion into an email and send them to your Pack Trainer.
Please let me know if you have any questions or need any help.
Other Useful Training Links and Sites
Cub Scout Leader Roundtables - Monthly roundtables provide an opportunity for leaders within a council to share ideas in an ongoing learning experience.
Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow - The pow wow is a "convention" for pack leaders that provides an opportunity to attend sessions addessing various facets of the Cub Scout program.