Saydisc updates and additions
Lots of things have come to light since the Saydisc & Village Thing Discography was published so some of the following links provide updates and additions. There was also a lot of stuff that could have been included in the discography, but which was eventually excluded because of page limitations and publishing deadline. To start, I've added some summary listings (some are still works-in-progress). I'll add a few more bits and pieces as and when.
Updates and additions to discography
- Saydisc releases subsequent to publication
- Saydisc's SD and CP sequence updates (errors corrected and some previously-unknown releases added)
- Matchbox Bluesmaster (new information on the final four releases)
- Roots contract pressing updates (a few more bits and pieces added)
- Highway 51/Kokomo contract pressing updates (very little information was included in the discography)
- Sunflower contract pressings additions (no information was included in the discography!)
- JASS updates (more detailed information added)
- Bornand and Supraphon updates (more detailed information and several omissions added)
- LPs that made it to test pressings but were subsequently unissued (a couple of 'best guesses' confirmed)
- Previously unknown variations
- Known Roots and contract pressing SD catalogue numbers ('recreational impossibility' - work-in-progress)
Stuff to complement the discography
Space was heavily restricted in the discography and a lot of possible summary listings were dropped as being a bit too 'trainspotty' and for taking up too much room. In the end, the only summary list included was the Matchbox listing - and that only to preclude an inconvenient near-empty page at end of the main SD catalogue section! So below are a lot of listings of other series within the SD catalogue.
The various series are listed below in the order in which the first of the series appeared. This might be a bit 'wrong footed' on occasion because sometimes a series wasn't made explicit until several records in and some series only exist on advertising materials rather than being explicitly stated on the record sleeves themselves. I have only had access to a limited number of advertising inserts and catalogues and some series may have been documented earlier than I know of. Any further information welcome!
Summary listings of Saydisc's various series:
- The 'Saydisc Historic Jazz Series'
- The 'Bells of Britain' series
- 'The Golden Age of Mechanical Music' series
- The 'Saydisc Matchbox Blues Series'
- The Bornand Collection
- The 'Ragtime, Cakewalk and Stomps' series
- The 'Saydisc Jazz Series' (see Volume 1's that never saw a Volume 2)
- The 'Matchbox Country Series'
- The 'Flyright-Matchbox Library of Congress Series'
- The 'West Cornwall Museum of Mechanical Music' series
- The 'Saydisc Traditional Series'
- The 'Cotswold Series'
- The 'Finchcocks Series' (work-in-progress)
- The 'Victoriana Series'
- The 'Steam Heritage' series
- The 'Matchbox Bluesmaster Series'
- The 'Border Keep' series
- The 'Golden Treasury Series'
- The 'Gloucestershire Country Life Series'
Odds and sods lists:
- Series that never saw a Volume 2
- Cassette-only releases
- Budget and mid-price releases
- Saydisc records credited to others
- Known issues of Saydisc material on the Past Times label (work-in-progress)
- Known issues of Saydisc/Amon Ra material on the US Musical Heritage Society label (work-in-progress)
- The last LPs left on catalogue
- Pre-SD matrix numbers on early releases
- Records that were not released, were cancelled or not released as planned
- Other bits and pieces (work-in-progress)