"A work of genius!"
Professor Noel Tredinnick
All Souls Choir & Orchestra
Christmas Cantata is a 90 minute contemporary oratorio for Advent and Christmas
It's all about voices: choirs, solos, duets, trios, octets, recitatives
It's supported by a continuo of piano, bass, and drums
But there are parts for orchestra too
Explore its unique sound today
Make it happen
|Written and recorded for the opening of the Scottish Parliament in 1999, and first performed in 2000, Christmas Cantata stands consciously in the line of the great western oratorios. Yet its musical language is a fusion of contemporary pop and jazz styles: Monteverdi meets John Barry and Tom Jobim in a favela jam.
1. Before all things began. Aria for soprano & chorus.
2. It is written. Recitative.
3. Angel. Aria for soli and chorus.
4. All this took place. Recitative.
5. Mary. Aria. Mezzo-soprano & chorus.
6. Behold. Recitative.
7. Blessed be the Lord. Chorus.
8. And so it was. Recitative.
9. Lullaby. Soprano.
10. And there were shepherds. Recitative.
11. Gloria. Chorus.
12. When the angel had gone from them. Recitative.
13. Shepherds. Octet.
14. Wake. Chorus with children.
16. Lord, our Lord. Chorus.
17. Simeon. Tenor solo & chorus.
18. Now when Jesus was born. Recitative.
19. You, Bethlehem. Trio & chorus.
20. Twinkle, twinkle, star so bright. Chorus.
21. And when they came to the place. Recitative.
22. The star
23. Rorate coeli
24. When Herod saw. Recitative.
25. A voice is heard in Ramah
26. When Israel was a child. Recitative.
28. The vision of Isaiah ben Amoz. Recitative.