"A work of genius!"
Professor Noel Tredinnick
All Souls Choir & Orchestra
Christmas Cantata is a contemporary oratorio for Advent, Christmas, or Epiphany
It's all about voices: choirs, solos, duets, trios, quartets, octets, recitatives
It sounds great with just a continuo of piano, bass, and drums
But there are parts for orchestra too if you want
Or you can sing it with just a backing track
Explore its unique sound today
Vocal score (July 2016)
8.5 x 11 inches
Orchestral score (October 2016)
8.5 x 11 inches
US $60 UK £40 EU €50
Free backing tracks
Make it happen
The July 2016 edition
|Commissioned as a gift for the Scottish Parliament's first Christmas, Christmas Cantata stands consciously in the great tradition of western European oratorio. Yet its musical language is a fusion of choral pop, jazz, and lounge music.
It has been performed in Berlin, Brussels, Canterbury, Edinburgh, Florida, London, Los Angeles, Sao Paolo, Santo Domingo, Texas, Zimbabwe, and elsewhere.
Want to perform it? Just download the backing tracks, get your singers, and you're there. Or, if you really want to go to town, there are parts for orchestra too...
1. BEFORE ALL THINGS. Aria for soprano & chorus.
2. IT IS WRITTEN. Recitative.
3. ANGEL. Aria for soli and chorus.
4. ALL THIS TOOK PLACE. Recitative.
5. MARY. Aria. Mezzo-soprano & chorus.
6. BEHOLD. Recitative.
7. BLESSED. Chorus.
8. AND SO IT WAS. Recitative.
9. CRADLE SONG. Soprano.
10. AND THERE WERE SHEPHERDS. Recitative.
11. GLORIA. Chorus.
12. WHEN THE ANGEL HAD GONE. Recitative.
13. SHEPHERDS. Octet.
14. AND THEY HURRIED OFF. Recitative.
15. WAKE. Chorus with children.
16. LORD, OUR LORD. Chorus.
17. NOW THERE WAS A MAN. Recitative.
18. SIMEON. Tenor solo & chorus.
19. NOW WHEN JESUS WAS BORN. Recitative.
20. YOU BETHLEHEM. Trio & chorus.
21. THEN HEROD CALLED THE MAGI. Recitative.
22. TWINKLE, TWINKLE, STAR SO BRIGHT. Chorus.
23. AND WHEN THEY CAME TO THE HOUSE. Recitative.
24. THE STAR. Aria.
25. RORATE COELI. Chorus.
26. WHEN HEROD SAW. Recitative.
27. A VOICE IS HEARD IN RAMAH. Aria, soprano & chorus.
28. WHEN ISRAEL WAS A CHILD. Recitative.
29. NEWS. Baritone solo.
30. THE VISION OF ISAIAH BEN AMOZ. Recitative.
31. ARISE, SHINE. Chorus.
32. AMEN. Chorus.