I am an Research Scientist at Educational Testing Services, an educational non profit, in Princeton, NJ.
My primary research interests are in the processes that regulate learning and memory. I explore these topics by examining the cognitive and metacognitive processes underlying memory encoding, memory retrieval, and self regulated learning and assessment.
- Finn, B. (in press). Retrospective utility of educational experiences: Converging research from education and decision making. Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition.
Finn, B. & Tauber, S.K. (in press). When confidence is not a signal of knowing: How students' experiences and beliefs about processing fluency can lead to miscalibrated confidence. Educational Psychology Review.
- Finn, B. & Miele, D. B (in press). Hitting a high note on math tests: Remembered success influences test preferences. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory and Cognition.
- Kornell, N. & Finn, B. (in press). Self regulated learning: An overview of theory and data. To appear in the Handbook of Metamemory.
- Thomas, R. C., Finn, B., & Jacoby, L.L. (in press). Metacognitive judgments at the category level predict test performance with educational concepts. Metacognition and Learning.
- Finn, B. & Metcalfe, J. (2014). Overconfidence in children’s multi-trial judgments of learning. Learning and Instruction, 32, 1-9.
- Finn, B. & Roediger, H.L. (2013). Interfering effects of retrieval in learning new information. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory and Cognition, 39, 1665-1681.
- Metcalfe, J. & Finn, B. (2013). Metacognition and control of study choice in children. Metacognition and Learning, 8, 19-46.
- Finn, B., Roediger, H.L. & Rosenzweig, E. (2012). Reconsolidation from negative emotional pictures: Is successful retrieval required? Memory & Cognition, 40, 1031-1035.
- Wahlheim, C. N., Finn, B. & Jacoby, L. L. (2012). Multiple bases for category learning judgments: Effects of repetition and family size. Memory & Cognition, 49, 703-716.
- Metcalfe, J. & Finn, B. (2012). Hypercorrection of high confidence errors in children. Learning and Instruction, 22, 253-261.
- Roediger, H.L., Finn, B. & Weinstein, Y. (2012). Improving metacognition to enhance educational practice. In Della Sala & Anderson (Eds.), pp. 128-154. Neuroscience in Education:The good the bad and the ugly. Oxford, Oxford University Press.
- Son, L., Kornell, N., Finn, B. & Cantlon, J. (2012). Metacognition and the social animal. In Briñol & DeMarree (Eds.), Social Metacognition. Frontiers of Social Psychology: New York, Psychology Press.
Reviews and Commentary
- Finn. B. (2012). What is metacognition? (Review of the book The Taxonomy of Metacognition). PsycCritiques.
- Finn. B. & Weinstein, Y. (2010). Eric Kandel and the new science of mind. (Review of the motion picture In Search of Memory, With the Neuroscientist Eric Kandel, Winner of the Nobel Prize). PsycCritiques. Contemporary Psychology, 55.
Finn, B (2015). Measuring motivation in low
stakes assessment. (ETS RR-15-19). Educational Testing
Service, Princeton, NJ.