Why Brian Smith?
I have a vision for soccer in Utah. It includes:
- Further development of locally run youth academies and recreation soccer at the most basic levels of the game.
- A continued healthy & strong relationship with our MLS partner ReAL Salt Lake.
- My vision furthers not only the game, but all those kids who play the game.
- This means enabling kids to play at any any level they want in youth soccer.
- Promoting them and helping them to play at any level they want beyond the youth game. i.e. College, University, MLS Academy, MLS etc.
- I will strive to have UYSA assist member organizations with field development via grant applications, money's, and throwing our resources behind MO's in working with their local government leaders to further their good causes.
- My vision is to make the game easier to play for all kids including those in all socio-economic demographics!
- Quiero involucrar a los hispano-hablantes en nuestras programas. Dandoles los remedios para jugar al lado de todos sus vecinos con oportunidades iguales. - I want to involve the spanish-speaking kids in our programs; Providing the means to play beside their neighbors with equal opportunity.
My soccer journey began in the south of Spain during the 1986 Mexico World Cup. As a teen in Sevilla and Cadiz for a few years, I was taught the game on the courtyards of Catholic cathedrals using tennis balls. Taught by 8, 10 & 12 year old kids in the dirt courtyards where we used clothes lines for goals. I learned the game from kids! I graduated to playing in fulbito leagues in Sevilla.
I brought what I learned back home to Utah and when the time came, made sure that my 3 sons were 'baptized' into soccer from birth. I began coaching 20 years ago and continue today.
I constantly think back to those kids on the church courtyards and dirt fields whose passion for the game was their life! Every vote and decision I've ever made for UYSA has always been made with my first thought to our Utah kids, who live and love the game and who have grown or will grow up through Utah Youth Soccer.