About Us‎ > ‎

History

Anita-Alta camp was donated to NCSU in 1973 by the Luther Robinson family of the Mulberry Community after both of their daughers, Alta and Anita, had passed away from polio that they were stricken with in 1953.  The campground consists of 375 acres which joins the Boone's Fork Park area consisting of 43,380 acres owned by the United States Forestry Service.  This area is part of the Pisgah National Forest under the supervision of the Grandfather District.  Anita-Alta was used as a 4H Outpost Camp from 1873-2008.  During that time it just never could make a profit.  NCSU made the decision to close the camp permanently in September 2008.  The appearance of the camp had grown worse over the years from lack of use and neglect.

The officers of the BRHA learned of it's closure from a 4H member who was hoping the group could save the camp.  After much thought and eeliveration, in July 2009 BRHA made trhe bold move to tackle the enormous expense odf leasing, cleaning, repairing and reopening the camp.  The camp was reborn as the Anita-Alta BRHA Youth & Horse Camp.  Over 8 dump truck loads of trash and rubbish were removed from the property and much work was need on the water system, driveways, camping areas and trails.  Basically all of the trails had been destroyed by fallen trees.  BRHA held many, many workdays and club members showed up in full force with helping hands, open wallets and strong backs!  Today we have over 10 new trails to add to the existing Boone's Fork trail system and have mapped and color coded each trail to aid hikers, bicyclists and horseback riders.  We have also added other features to compliment horse camping.  BRHA is proud to continue the legacy of the Robinson's; "...that these grounds may be an extension of the lives of our two daughters in serving youth".  We hope you enjoy your time spent at Anita-Alta BRHA Youth & Horse Camp! 
Thanks for being our guests.
Comments