The purpose of the research study is to
1. Compare the different scandals that have occurred and the different ways of cheating in the sport of baseball,
2. Research the Steroid Era and the players that have their name associated with it, and
3. Look at the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame and explain how the purposes have an affect on being considered a Hall of Fame player using the Rule 5 Character Clause Hall of Fame entrance criteria.
The research questions for this study, discussed in Chapter 4, were the following:
1. What constitutes being considered a scandalous player in baseball?
2. Who in Major League Baseball history is considered a scandalous player,
A) Already in the Hall of Fame,
B) Not in the Hall of Fame.
The intended design around the research methods of the purpose statement was to find that
1. There are current scandalous players in the Hall of Fame,
2. There are current scandalous players being kept out of the Hall of Fame, and
3. There are current scandalous players that are still waiting to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
The research methodology presented includes the research design, the quantitative data analysis, as well as some relevant scandals that were researched.
Nearly all information was available via books, newspapers or magazine/journal articles; there was no qualitative research needed as it was found in the research previously done by others.