Latest News

November 2014 - Ensenada Cruise with Julie & Kasie

posted Jan 21, 2015, 7:21 PM by Julie Harrison   [ updated Jan 21, 2015, 7:26 PM ]

We used Julie's birthday as an excuse to get together and do something big this year. Kasie & Julie had never been on a cruise and we found a great deal, so I packed my bags and left Bret with the kiddos. I had the best time hanging out with them again. The worst part about leaving Arizona, is I miss my friends.

Cruise with Julie & Kasie

January 13, 2014 - A new year, a new beginning...

posted Jan 14, 2014, 12:09 AM by Julie Harrison

We have made it safely to Fresno! And I can't believe I'm about to write the next sentence........I joined Facebook. My AZ friends convinced me to do it to stay in touch. And since I'm not very good at keeping this site updated, I'm hoping I'll be able to use Facebook to keep family and friends posted on what our little family is up to. Old fashioned e-mail still works too if you need to be connected in a non Facebook way. :-) 

Lots of love to our family and friends and wishes for a fabulous 2014. May you make unforgettable memories with those that you hold dear in your heart.

December 9, 2013 - The North Pole Experience

posted Dec 9, 2013, 10:19 AM by Julie Harrison   [ updated Jan 14, 2014, 12:01 AM ]

We had the BEST DAY EVER this weekend! We traveled to Flagstaff, rode on a trolley, entered through a magic portal to get to the North Pole, and arrived at Santa's Workshop. We saw the toy hall of fame, helped the elves make toys, helped sort toys in the wrapping room, drank snowman soup (hot chocolate) and ate cookies in the bakery, attended a class at Elf University to learn how to be an elf, wrote a letter to Santa in the  mail room, visited Mrs. Claus, saw Santa's sleigh and then got to visit with the man himself. I will work on getting all the photos from our trip on here soon.

The girls had been wanting to go to the snow for awhile, so we took advantage of that while we were there. Emma didn't even last a minute before she wanted to get in the van. I made her stay outside an extra 30 seconds so I could at least get a picture of her. Kara didn't last long either. She picked up some snow with her little mittens on and then her hand got wet. So I snapped a couple pictures of her before she joined Emma in the car with the heater running, listening to Disney Christmas music and eating snacks. It was snowing while they were playing so that tells you it was cold outside. Kristen and Laura saved their snow angels for the end, and then they hopped in the car and changed into some comfy, cozy, warm, dry clothes. The girls were wanting hot chocolate to warm up, so we found a Dunkin Donuts. And since we were there to get hot chocolate, we had to get some donuts too. The girls loved it!
And in case you haven't heard, we are moving back to Fresno just before Christmas! We have loved the past 9 years in Goodyear and are thankful for the memories and unforgettable friends. We look forward to being near family and hopefully to having Bret home more often.

For some reason, the picture album won't load. Hopefully you'll be able to see the pictures at the link below:

October 29, 2013 - California Coastal Cruise

posted Oct 30, 2013, 12:59 AM by Julie Harrison

I can't believe it has been a year since I have updated this site! I'm sorry I have not been better. I can't go back and catch up right now, but I do have some pictures I've been promising to share with friends. I have been anxious to get these pictures on here but haven't had much free time. We left on our cruise September 29, exactly one month ago. My mom & dad came to Phoenix to watch the girls so we could get away. After staying up most of the night packing, we left early Sunday morning and headed towards LA. We went on Princess Cruises and did the 7 night California Coastal cruise. It went to San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego and Ensenada. I put captions on the photos so you can look through those for the condensed version (only 88 photos.) My camera battery died while in San Diego and wouldn't recharge, so I had to use my cell phone the rest of the trip. I will write more below as my journal so I can remember some of the things we did that I do not have pictures of.

California Coastal Cruise 9-2013

Day 1, September 29 - Los Angeles, Embark
We got there, unloaded our stuff and walked through the terminal. But just before we walked through the metal detectors, Bret realized he had left his wallet in the car. So we walked back out to the car, got it and then back in. The first thing we did was go to our room, 316 Baja (deck 11), where there were chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us. I had ordered these ahead of time because I thought it would be fun to have something special waiting for us. Only two of our four suitcases were in our room, so we didn't worry about unpacking yet. Imam was our steward and always seemed to be in the hall when we were heading out in the evening or in the morning. After leaving our room we headed to one of Bret's favorite places, Prego Pizzeria, where you can get fresh made pizza from 11 am to 11 pm. We toured the Lotus Spa and walked around the sanctuary. We're too cheap to pay go in there so we took advantage on this first day. It is very relaxing in there, I might pay to do it next time. We had to go through the whole emergency procedure thing and were one of the last ones to our muster station, so we stood. We hung out at the front of the ship before leaving. Kristen called Bret asking how to download Furby Boom on the computer (she had recently gotten it on her iPad but wanted it on the computer too.) But thanks to T-Mobile's great service, the call kept dropping. While he was on the phone, I watched as a nearby water feature started playing music with fountains dancing to the music. (Reminded me of World of Color, without all the color, and scenes from Disney movies.) At about 4:30 pm we set sail. We went back to the room where Bret fell asleep and I unpacked. We got ready for the evening and went to the 7 o'clock show that featured their Princess Singers & Dancers and comedian Miguel Washington. For dinner we opted for a table of six in the dining room at 8:00 pm. We met our dinner friends at table 231 that night, Don & Joanna and KL & Ann. We had a lot of fun getting to know them at dinner each night. Even though Bret was super tired, he went to the theater for the late night movie, Iron Man 3. I went back to the room and went to sleep.
Day 2, September 30 - At Sea
We were excited to sleep in and not have to get up for anything. I woke up shortly after 7 and was too awake to go back to sleep, so I went to the gym. It was pretty busy in there. The seas were a little rough that day and I found myself holding onto the treadmill to help keep my balance. I finished my workout and then walked around on the deck a little. It was quite chilly and I realized I probably didn't pack enough warm clothes. Bret woke up shortly after I got back to the room. We got ready for the day and headed to the Horizon Court for breakfast. I loved having fresh fruit readily available, Bret loved the bacon. We caught the end of The Princess Bide on the big screen and then walked around the ship. Bret shot a few hoops at the basketball court and then endured through a dance class with me. They were teaching The Merengue which we had learned 3 years ago. It was a good little refresher course but by the end, I was feeling sick because of the waves. We started each day with a bonine, but I guess the waves were a little too much this day. We stopped by the Pizzeria and Bret watched a bit of a football game on the big screen. We went back to our room and got ready. This was our first formal night. We started our evening with a show, "Destination Anywhere" and then walked through the Piazza during the welcome party. We found a photographer by the stairs and had him snap a few pictures. Dinner was good but by the time we left to go watch the comedian, I wasn't feeling real great. The comedian, Miguel Washington was very funny and clean at the same time. (I loved his joke about his wife that was former military.)
Day 3, October 1 - San Francisco
We did set an alarm this morning because we wanted to wake up early so we could be out on deck when we passed under the Golden Gate Bridge. We had heard that would happen around 5:30 am. We slept with our TV on, set to the channel of the camera off the front of the ship, and when I woke up at 4:30, we were already docked. We had actually passed under the bridge at 3:34 am. So we slept in a little, but not too much because we had tickets for Alcatraz and we were supposed to be there at 9:30 am. By the time we got off the ship, we didn't have a lot of time so when we got off the ship we immediately started walking briskly. After a few minutes I pulled the tickets out to see exactly where we were supposed to be going and realized the pier for it was the other direction from where our ship had docked. So then we turned around walking even faster trying to get there on time. When we got there we were surprised and disappointed to hear that due to the government shutdown, Alcatraz was closed. I was bummed because this was the one thing I wanted to do while in San Francisco. (Well, I wanted to go the Disney Family Museum, but it is closed on Tuesdays.) But because I had ordered them online, we didn't have to wait in line for a refund, but submitted it after we got home. So, plan B. We had heard from a friend about a GPS talking car that you drive around the city and it tells you where to go and what you are seeing as you drive. We walked to the store just past Fisherman's Wharf and rented this glorified motorcycle. Most were yellow, but we lucked out and got the only red one they had. We left the store and the car did not start talking so we drove back and the guy reset the GPS or fixed whatever the problem was, and we were off again. We had an absolute blast in it! We didn't park when we got to the Golden Gate Bridge because the parking lot was full, but people (tourist) sure got a kick out of seeing us in that thing. I can't even count how many people took pictures of us in it. The cars top speed is 40 mph so no driving across the bridge for us. Due to the government shutdown, there were a number of things on the tour that were closed, but we still saw lots of things. The view from on top of twin peaks was amazing, although our ship was on the other side of the hill so we couldn't see it. The tour included Alamo Square where the Painted Ladies are and Bret indulged me further by finding the actual house that is used in the screen shots on Full House. We drove down Lombard street, but didn't get any good pictures there. (Man, I should have jumped out and taken a few.) The tour went through China Town, interesting and since Bret is a Giants fan, we also went to AT&T Park. Then we drove back along the bay, and was impressed with the Bay Bridge. It is lit up at night which looked even cooler. After four hours of driving around, we took the little car back. We had such a great time and those memories are going to last forever. We were pretty hungry by this point so we walked back to the ship about 5 and ate a late lunch. We couldn't justify paying money for food when we could eat for free on the ship. We were docked in San Francisco until 11 pm that night, so after we ate we went back out. We called home and had fun chatting with all the girls. They were having so much fun with Grandma & Grandpa. We looked in a few shops at Pier 39. We went to Del Sol and got some nail polish as well as some jewelry that I have been wanting since I saw it on our last cruise. Then we tried to hurry to see the sea lions before it got too dark. We had done everything we wanted to do and it was almost 8 pm, so we decided we could still catch dinner in the dining room. Ann & KL's daughter lives in San Francisco so they were visiting with her and missed dinner that evening. Late that night, we and I think everybody on the ship, went up on top when we left the dock to watch as we went under the Golden Gate Bridge. It was very windy and I was freezing, but it was still neat. Because of the angle it didn't look like the ship was going to have enough clearance, but we made it. We went under the bridge around 11:10 pm. Then we quickly left so I could warm up.
Day 4, October 2 - At Sea
We slept it (I could get used to this) then went to breakfast. This at sea day was much better, I guess we were going with the current. We slept in (so nice!), went to breakfast and then to a culinary show. The head chef and maître d put on a show which was entertaining while showing us how to make a few things. At the end we got to walk through the galley (kitchen) where they had some neat displays set up. We exited the galley into the Capri Dining Room where they were have an outlet sale of sorts. I wasn't going to look but we ran into Don & Joanna right outside so she convinced us to take a look. It was fun but I really didn't need anything. Bret patiently sat near the window watching the waves as I sorted through shirts on the tables. If I found something I liked, it wasn't in the right size. And if I found something I liked and in the right size, it wasn't on sale. I did end up buying a fancy little purse that I can use for all the times we go out on formal dates. They were having a special Irish Pub lunch at the Crown Grill, so we took advantage of that and went there. Bret got the fish & chips and we left before dessert but then heard that the dessert was the best part. In the afternoon we went our to the deck and watched the ice carving demonstration. Pretty neat talent to have. Then we got some chairs by the pool (and I'm sure Bret grabbed some pizza too) and watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off. We walked around the ship a bit then made it up the gym for a workout. There was hardly anybody in there in the late afternoon. As I was stretching in the room (used for classes), there was a guy in there doing crazy handstands and videotaping himself doing them. I figured he must be one of the performers and we saw him doing some crazy stuff, including pole dancing a few days later. This was our second formal night so we had to get all done up again. Dinner was great and we took pictures with our group. We even managed to squeeze in a quick sitting in front of a photographer. I loved a lot of the pictures, but at $24.99 a piece, we only bought one. We were having a dilemma after dinner because I wanted to go see the dancing/singing show and he wanted to go see the comedian again. Don & Joanna were having the same problem, so Joanna & I went to the show, while Bret & Don went to the comedian. It worked out great. Afterwards we found each other in the piazza right after the balloon drop. Then we went with them to Skywalkers Nightclub. (Side note: I had committed myself to only using the stairs while on the cruise.) We were on deck 5 at the time, and Skywalkers Nightclub is on the 18th, the highest you can go. Bret & I took the stairs and Don & Joanna took the elevator, and believe it or not, we still managed to beat them to the top. (Bret and I raced a few times and I always won on the stairs.) There were not many people there and even fewer on the dance floor. We sat by the window to chat and order drinks. We got our strawberry daiquiri and pina colada, virgin of course, which were really good. We enjoyed visiting with each other but it sure made for a late night. I think it was 1:30 am when we finally got to bed.
Day 5, October 3 - Santa Barbara
We slept in (ahh, such a wonderful feeling) and then hit Horizon Court for breakfast. We don't dock in Santa Barbara, but have to take the tenders ashore. There was a little bit of a line when we got there, but the wait was minimal. I didn't bring my sweater with me and it was pretty chilly as we rode the tender (we like to sit on top) and I was worried that I might be cold all day. But we got there and just started walking. Most people took the trolley ride to State Street, but we enjoyed the walk. I did find it interesting that all the signs on the stores were quite small. Must have some kind of city ordinance on sizes of lettering and signs. We didn't have definite plans but as we neared the end of the shops on State Street we decided to just go to the Santa Barbara Mission because it wasn't too much farther. (Come to find out later that it was a 3 mile walk from the dock to the mission.) We started the tour of the mission and it begins with a short video. All the partying from the night before must have caught up with me because I fell asleep during the video. The mission was very interesting though, first established in 1786. As we were walking back we passed the court house and it has a huge clock tower with an observation deck. So we walked up all 263 stairs (just kidding, I didn't count so I really don't know how many there are.) We also thought we could see some famous giant fig tree they have there as we were walking back. We had to backtrack a little to find it and I was getting nervous about the time. The last tender was leaving the dock at 5 pm and we've heard stories about people getting left behind. By the time we found it, we were literally running past it to get back to the dock in time. We ran and ran (which was not real easy to do since we hadn't eaten or drank anything in about 7 hours.) But we made it back, with a whole five minutes to spare. We got ready for the evening and saw the musical show before dinner. It started at 7, and is just a few decks below us so naturally, we walked out of our door at 7 pm. When we got to the theater it hadn't started yet, and after a few minutes I just knew it wasn't right. We would take a picture of the daily schedule in the Princess Patter (with our phones) each day so we would have the information wherever we were. So I pulled my phone out to look it up and sure enough, they were performing in the Vista Lounge at the other end of the ship. It was funny as we announced to the 50+ people in there that we were all in the wrong place. After dinner, from 10-11 in the Skywalkers Night club they were holding an Elvis Hour. We told Don & Joanna we would meet them there. Bret had missed the beginning of Iron Man 3 on Sunday night and it was playing again for tonight's Movie Under the Stars. So we went there first so he could see it. Then we joined them at the club. KL & Ann even made it for a bit. Not a lot of people there, but nobody dancing either. Towards the end of it the DJ played "Can't Help Falling in Love with You", which helped to get some couples out there dancing. Even though I'm not much of a dance, I just love Elvis music and felt like dancing. Luckily Bret kept me grounded.
Day 6, October 4 - San Diego
We slept in (and it felt great), then had breakfast at Horizon Court. We didn't have to walk far to get to the USS MIdway Museum (an aircraft carrier that is thankfully run by a non profit organization and not the government, or it would have been shut down too.) For the tour you get headphones and a remote to control what audio you hear, based on where you are standing. We spent about four hours in there walking all around. When we were done we walked to Seaport Village and looked in a few shops, but bought nothing (a proud accomplishment of Bret's.) We went to eat when we got back on the boat and called home again. We caught the before dinner show, comedian Steve Caouette and he was really good. I had marked to celebrate my birthday on this day and I guess Bret had asked them to do it (sing to me and give me cake) on Saturday night because Don & Joanna wanted to be there and they were attending a special Chef's Table that evening. I guess our waiter forgot or it got lost in translation because they sang (and very well I might add) and gave me the cake anyway. But they said they would re-do it again the next night. Our assistant waiter, Davor wasn't there that night because he was sick. We ended up going to bed early tonight, like 10:30 pm.
Day 7, October 5 - Ensenada
We slept in (and boy am I going to miss that) then breakfast at Horizon Court.) We didn't feel safe enough to get off and really go into Ensenada. They have like a marketplace with vendors set up where we went and bought some vanilla. There was also a Carnival ship docked so we walked over to their little market thing. The most entertaining part of the day was watching the people exiting the Carnival ship. I swear they were already drunk before they got off the boat. It is definitely a different crowd than Princess. I'm such an old fuddy duddy. We ran into Don & Joanna outside the ship and took advantage of that so we could get a picture with both of us in it. We had not gone swimming yet and needed to put that swimsuit I brought to good use, so we went swimming for a bit. It felt chilly at first so we started with the indoor pool thinking it would be warmer, but then we went to the outside pool and the water was warmer. Bret got hooked watching Oblivion outside so I left him in the pool while I went to get ready for my massage at the spa. It was so relaxing, I even fell asleep. I got back to the room shortly after Bret had. Then came the most depressing part of the cruise, time to pack. We got most of it done, then snuck out to see Steve Caouette. I was slightly worried because he does like to make fun of the audience members that walk in late, and we were walking in late, but luckily we were spared. After the show we walked though the piazza where we saw Duo Push performing, the guys that do the body balancing stuff. We went back to our room, finished the packing so we could set out our luggage before we went to dinner. And of course we were pushing it with time, but that didn't stop me from looking at the rings and buying two on our way to dinner. Davor was sick again so I'm thankful we got his picture from the second formal night. At dinner they sang to me again for my birthday and I even got gifts. Don & Joanna gave me a rose and a scarf they bought in San Francisco. Ann & KL got me a San Diego hat. It was so sweet of them to do that! Now every time I wear those things, I am reminded of them, our friendship and the cruise.
Day 8, October 6 - Los Angeles, Disembark
We did have to set an alarm this morning because we were supposed to be out of our room by 8 am. It was 8:30 when we were finally out, but oh well. We got to enjoy a nice breakfast in the dining room. We ran into Don & Joanna one last time before they exited the ship. We finally got to the theater, which was our designated spot for Cream # 6 luggage tags. We had each brought a book with us on the cruise and hadn't had any time to read them yet. We didn't pack them in our big suitcases the night before, because we knew this would be the perfect time to read them. So, we sat down, Bret opened up the backpack, handed me my book, then over the loudspeaker came the call for Cream #6 to line up and disembark. I couldn't believe the timing! So we exited, and going through customs didn't take too long. I was worried about them not letting me bring my rose, but they didn't seem to care at all. When we got to the parking lot, we were asked to help jump a car with a dead battery. Turns out, that couple is from Glendale. I think those were the first people that we personally met that were not from LA.
We were sad that this vacation was coming to an end. But it was seriously such an amazing trip and we are so thankful we were able to go and have a relaxing vacation with just each other. Thanks again Mom & Dad for watching the girls for us! We couldn't have done this without your help! 

October 31, 2012 - Halloween

posted Nov 17, 2012, 11:23 PM by Julie Harrison

Halloween came and went so quickly this year. For the first time, Kristen was not a Disney character, she was a witch, but a nice witch. I think this was Laura's second year being Snow White and Emma's third as Minnie Mouse. I didn't want to spend any money on costumes this year so they got to pick whatever they wanted out of the dress up bin. Kristen was actually a ballerina for the ward trunk or treat. And while Kara did technically fit into the Tigger costume that is 0-3 months, I didn't figure it would be that comfortable for her. So instead I put her in a Minnie dress that was too big for her. She didn't seem to mind, she just goes along with everything.
I went to school to help in Laura's classroom for their Halloween party and brought Emma & Kara dressed in their Minnie dresses. It was a lot of fun although I did experience a little bit of room mom stress. It's so lame that our school district says they can't call it a Halloween party, and they aren't supposed to do it the day of. But I love our kindergarten teacher who doesn't worry about stuff like that and just makes it fun for the little kiddos.
Bret wanted to wear shorts and flip flops to work so we were trying to base his costume off that. Well, since already have an Elvis costume, I told him he could put on the Elvis hair and go as Elvis from Blue Hawaii. He didn't care, he just wanted to be comfortable at work. And by looking at the picture of him at work, it looks like he succeeded.

Halloween 2012

October 2012

posted Nov 17, 2012, 11:09 PM by Julie Harrison

It's a good thing that our fall break is two weeks because I needed the extra week to recover from our vacation the first week. The girls don't let me sleep in much, but I love not having to set an alarm to wake up in the morning. Just before we left for Disneyland, Bret switched the girls beds around so they all have their own room, well, Kristen and Kara have to share. So we no longer have a guest room or a room to lock up all the toys. It's been over a month and I'm still trying to move stuff out of the closets so the girls can have move their clothes into the closets.
Kristen had gone on a field trip for school to the Arizona Science Center and loved it and wanted to go back. So one Saturday we took the whole family and ended up getting a membership so I'm sure we'll be back again soon. The very first thing we did was the water things outside that had balls that you could put in it. Kara was in the stroller and didn't appreciate getting splashed every so often by the nearby clueless people. The girls played with legos, learned about the human body, Morse code and my favorite the show about weather.

November 17, 2012

October 8-10, 2012 - Disneyland

posted Nov 17, 2012, 10:56 PM by Julie Harrison

The girls were on fall break at school so we took advantage of that and went to Disneyland. We didn't tell the girls we were going until a couple of hours before we left, but for some reason they weren't too surprised. On our last trip I had said we would come back in October, and Kristen knew they didn't have school, and that I wanted to go for my birthday, so she was smart enough to put it all together. It was Halloween time at the Disneyland resort, and that Monday was Columbus Day, plus I think Utah, Oregon and even Ohio  (plus others I'm sure) were also on break that week, so it was much busier than I like. We waited 35 minutes for Pirates! But I was still glad to be at the happiest place on the earth with the people I love. My birthday was Tuesday and Bret got us into Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast that morning. It was great food and it's awesome seeing the characters. Kara didn't have a problem with Goofy or Pluto, but Chip and Dale she was not so fond of. She would cry if they came near her. My guess is that they're strangers to her, where as Goofy & Pluto are on the wall in her bedroom. There were even a few characters that Emma didn't care for. Cars Land was still pretty crazy busy. Radiator Springs Racers was the one ride Laura asked to go on, and we never did. They waited in line about 40 minutes when it broke down and they emptied the queue. We went back Wednesday morning but the line was 3 hours long; that's just insane! We didn't want to wait so we did some other fun stuff around California Adventure. But Bret talked to someone later in the day that had gotten in that line and it broke down again. So even though the ride totally rocks, I'm glad we didn't wait in it for nothing. Before leaving on Wednesday we sat through the Disney Vacation Club presentation. Although we did not buy into it, the girls got to play in the room next to us with all kinds of princess costumes and we got cookies. Maybe some day when we're rich we could afford the Disney Vacation Club and stay at nicer hotels, but for now, I'm good with the cheap hotels we find.

Disneyland 10-12

September 10-12, 2012 - Disneyland

posted Sep 17, 2012, 11:10 PM by Julie Harrison   [ updated Nov 22, 2012, 8:56 PM ]

It's weird how the summer seemed to fly by so fast, but it felt like it had been a long time since we had been to Disneyland. We had a great trip and the best part was that Daddy was able to go along with us. Because of his work, he had missed out on the last few trips, but we're so thankful he can take vacation time now. I can't believe what a difference it made with him there, especially during the drive that took an extra hour and half due to stopped traffic. Of course Grandma and Grandpa Gage and Aunt Jen and kids were there too. The weather was a bit warmer than I would have liked, but we survived. With Bret there to hold Kara, I never even put her in the baby backpack. She doesn't like to miss out on all the fun and will normally forgo naps, being at Disneyland was no exception. She took just a little catnap each day but was very alert the rest of the time. We spent all of Tuesday at California Adventure and I must say that I love the new Cars Land. I loved the feeling of walking into a new land, seeing all the new stuff for the first time and the anticipation of waiting in line to experience the new rides. The rides were great and Radiator Springs Racers was AWESOME! It would have been fun to go again, but the line was about an hour long. Laura said she didn't care how long the line was, she would wait again. But I convinced her that we'll do it next month. We went back to Disneyland Wednesday morning to just do a few more things. We saw Minnie so we had to jump in line. I think Emma has been asking to give Minnie a hug for over a year now. They're were getting ready for Halloween time because the giant Mickey pumpkin at the beginning of Main Street appeared some time during the night or early Wednesday morning. With the exception of Cars Land, the crowds really weren't too bad. Another change at California Adventure is the Mission Tortilla Factory closed, which I was bummed about for a second until I heard it was going to become Ghirardelli. It's a full blown ice cream shop with lots of Ghirardelli chocolate, and they even hand out samples when you enter. Nicely done Disney!

Disneyland 9-12

August 2012

posted Sep 17, 2012, 10:36 PM by Julie Harrison   [ updated Nov 22, 2012, 8:57 PM ]

We celebrated Bret's and Kristen's birthday this month. For Bret's birthday we hid 33 paper candles around the house. Laura and Emma hid some so well that we still have not been able to find 10 of them. Emma had seen a football cake at Target and wanted to get it for Bret's birthday. In an effort to save some money, I decided to make a football cake myself. And we really put 33 candles on it for him to blow out. Kristen told me she wanted an ice cream cake for her birthday, but not our normal kind of ice cream cake. She wanted cake, with a layer of ice cream in the middle, and ice cream on top (instead of frosting) with oreo bits on the top. It was really good and we'll probably make another like it someday. The girls got a mini cupcake pan and holder from Granddad and Grandma Harrison and we wasted no time in trying it out. We had Emmalee over while her parents were busy packing, so we decided to have a little tea party. The girls used their best manners and Bret was their server.
Kristen's birthday turned out to be quite a busy day. (I had stayed up the night before to put up a few fun decorations.)  I loaded up Emma and Kara and headed to the school at 8:00 for a fundraising assembly. When it was done at 8:45 I left to drop off Emma at preschool and then back to the school to help in Laura's classroom. Kristen requested that I bring in donut holes for her class, so I went to Target and they didn't have any. So I headed to Walmart and found them there, and picked up Emma from preschool. I came home and had just enough time to bake the cake before leaving again. Went back to school and served donut holes to her class and was there until the end of school. Came home and had a little bit of time before cheer leading at 5:30 and decided to treat the girls to McDonald's. I stayed and watched their cheer leading practice (it was their last class of a 4 week session) and then we hurried home. Bret was home so we quickly did presents and cake then had to get the girls in bed since it was a school night. It was a good day, super loooong, but I think it was a good day for Kristen.
Things have been busy at school so far this year. Kristen and Laura both received the "Student of the Month" for August. Laura got to be the first Star Student in her kindergarten class so she got to bring Sam, a patriotic looking stuffed bear, home over the weekend. (Sam has been to our house before, almost 2 years ago.) She really liked him and was sad when she had to take him back. Bret is the new PTA president at school. They were about to dissolve it because nobody would step up to take it over. And since Bret has a ton of extra time he didn't know what to do with (can you hear my sarcasm?) he said he would do it. He has done a fabulous job so far and is really trying to turn it in to something people want to be a part of. But since I am the other half of Bret, that also means I am involved with it all too. I'm finding myself at the school multiple days each week trying to take care of things, in addition to helping in the girls classrooms. Most teachers recognize me now, along with Emma and Kara.
Emma started preschool and absolutely loves it. It's two days a week but she is always thrilled when she gets to go to Ms. Jessica's. Kara is growing so fast and is still such a good baby. Even with all the running around we do, she sits in her car seat very patiently. She loves to clap and put her toes in her mouth. If I lay her down on a blanket on the floor she no longer stays in one place. She rolls and scoots and manages her way off the blanket. I really need to get my house baby proof again.

August 2012

August 6, 2012 - First Day of School

posted Aug 12, 2012, 12:27 AM by Julie Harrison   [ updated Nov 22, 2012, 8:58 PM ]

The summer flew by so quickly! The girls were looking forward to starting school, especially Laura. Laura picked out a Dora backpack a few months ago, and Emma got a Minnie backpack. We spent a small fortune buying all their school supplies, but the girls really enjoyed it. And I admit, I enjoy buying that stuff for some strange reason. We found out a few days before school started that Laura would have the same kindergarten teacher as Kristen. We loved that teacher and are thrilled that Laura will be in her class. On the first day, Laura came home with a paper bag  puppet she had made. So Kristen wanted to make one too and made a Mickey puppet. I'm always so impressed with her art skills. Both Kristen & Laura were feeling a little under the weather and had a cold when school started. When I woke up Kristen on the second day, she told me she was sick and couldn't go to school. And me being the kind and sympathetic mother that I am, told her she would be fine and she had to go anyway. But they have both survived their first week and for the most part it was pretty good. Although I think it was the third day I asked Laura how school was and she answered "awful!" If one bad thing happens to her, it ruins her whole day. When I woke her up Friday morning she said she wanted to take a break from school and I told her she could take a break on Saturday and Sunday. But on Friday her table got to pick a prize from the treasure box so she was really happy about that. Emma will be starting preschool this month and she can hardly wait. It's just 3 hours, two days a week, but I am really looking forward to it. I'll probably use one day to do my shopping and the other day will be spent helping in the girls' classrooms at school. I'm glad to finally be back in a routine and to get my house back in order. 

First Day of School 2012

1-10 of 33