Transcripts‎ > ‎

Anders Behring Breivik Court Transcript 2012-05-11 Live Report




Friday May 11, 2012 - Day 17

08.55 Courtroom 250 in Oslo courthouse resumes to fill up. Before lunch, the court shall review the last twelve autopsy reports.

08.59 Breivik enters the courtroom. He is talking with his lawyer Geir Lippestad.

08.59 He looks towards the photographers while they're taking pictures. The judges enter.

09.00 Judge Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen: - The court is in session. I see that we have a new forensic. What is your name?

09.00 Witness: - Sissel Rogde. [Rogde swears witness oath]

09.00 Forensic Sissel Rogde is present in the courtroom to review the autopsy reports.

09.01 Police Superintendent Gøran Dyvesveen begins with a brief summary before continuing the review of the autopsy reports.

09.01 Police Superintendent Gøran Dyvesveen: - We'll continue by the pump house, and there were 14 youths who died as a result of shooting in that area. This is an aerial photograph taken July 21. Here we have the camp ground and here lies the pump house. [Dyvesveen shows on the aerial image]. The next picture is taken from the water and it shows the pump house. The Café building lies in the background of the forest. Yesterday we were looking at the dead that were up here and by the water. [Dyvesveen shows the image taken from the water]. Today we will look at those who lay beside the pump house and by the beach. Dyvesveen shows where Okkenhaug was found killed by the pump house by marking the location with a red dot on the thumbnails from different angles.

09.05 Dyvesveen: - We'll start by reviewing Emil Okkenhaug.

09.06 Emil Okkenhaug (15) was from Levanger in Nord-Trøndelag.

09.06 Judge Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen: - We have a new aid lawyer. What is your name?

09.06 Lawyer: - Ingunn Kjeldstad.

09.06 Dyvesveen announces the page number in one of the folders, so that the court actors can find the right report.

09.07 Police Superintendent Gøran Dyvesveen: - Emil Okkenhaug, born November 2, 1995. Emil Okkenhaug died by the pump house. [Dyvesveen shows where Emil Okkenhaug lay with a red mark from both the aerial photo and the picture taken from the water ]

09.08 Dyvesveen tells what clothes Okkenhaug wore.

09.09 Sissel Rogde takes the word to account for the forensic investigation. She uses the gray doll and two white sticks to show where the shots hit the 15-year-old.

09.09 Rogde: - Three gunshot wounds were detected. The cause of death is injuries to the head, and we can confirm that these have been immediately fatal.

09.10 Assists Attorney: - The family has asked me to say the following about Emil: "Born in Førde but grew up in Levanger. He was the oldest of three siblings. He stood on the threshold of adulthood. Emil looked forward to starting high school, in media and communications. He wanted to become a journalist. Emil was active in sports, and in recent years it was especially tennis and skiing. He became politically engaged in 2010 and was on Utøya for the first time in 2011. We remember Emil as an inclusive and attentive boy, interested in politics and with a democratic mindset. Emil was a guy we could count on, talk to. A beloved son. Emil had many friends, a girlfriend and family who were very fond of him. For his sisters, he will always be the best big brother".

09.14 The court is now reviewing the autopsy report of Håvard Vederhus (21) from Oslo.

09.14 Arntzen: - Thank you. We have come to Håvard Vederhus. Mette Yvonne Larsen is the aid lawyer.

09.15 Dyvesveen: - Håvard Vederhus, born November 10, 1989. Håvard Vederhus died by the Pump House. We see him on the aerial photographs of the pump house the red marker showing where Håvard Vederhus lay.

09.15 Dyvesveen refers to the pictures in the folders and tells what clothes Vederhus was wearing.

09.15 Sissel Rogde shows what wounds Vederhus had.

09.16 Rogde: - Håvard Vederhus was hit by four shots.

09.16 She says Håvard Vederhus died of bullet wounds in the neck and chest. They have caused immediate unconsciousness and imminent death.

09.17 Larsen asks, as the previous counsel Ingunn Kjeldstad, whether the victims were standing or sitting when they died. The Coroner can't give any answer.

09.17 Larsen: [A picture of a smiling Håvard Vederhus is displayed.] The image we see here is Håvard Vederhus in conjunction with him being on Utøya. It's taken ashore a few days before he is killed. We can see the joy he had before the killer came. The family says "our spirited and energetic Håvard was only 21 years old. He had a close relationship with all of the family and showed great care. He had so many plans, so much he would have done, so many pieces of music he would have written". Håvard wanted to make a difference, as manager of the Student Organization, he was also the head of Oslo AUF and the church. Knowledge changes the world, Håvard said, and he looked forward to working hard for the community. He was an inspiration to everyone around him. He was concerned about that everyone should find a place in the Norwegian society. The family says: "Håvard is with us as long as we live".

09.20 Judge Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen: - Thank you. We have come to Victoria Stenberg. Could the counsel repeat his name?

09.20 Aid Lawyer: - Christian Lundin.

09.20 Dyvesveen shows the overview image and the other images in the folders. He also tells what clothes Stenberg wore.

09.21 Police Superintendent Gøran Dyvesveen: - Victoria Stenberg, born October 23, 1993. Victoria Stenberg died by the pump house. The red marker that shows up by the pump house shows where Victoria Stenberg lay. The marking indicates that Victoria Stenberg was laying right by the forest, not far from Håvard Vederhus. Then the coroner will account.

09.22 Sissel Rogde accounts for the forensic investigation.

09.22 Rogde: - Three bullet wounds were discovered. She died of bullet wounds in the head and chest. The injuries has caused immediate unconsciousness and imminent death.

09.22 Rogde shows where the shots hit the 15-year-old, using the gray doll and two white sticks.

09.23 Aid Lawyer Christian Lundin: - Honourable court, Victoria was on Utøya with her boyfriend Håkon. He is present in court today, so is her family. "Victoria never got to celebrate her 18th birthday. She was a happy girl with a lot of energy. Victoria should have begun the 3rd class in high school. She went for studies of professional sports. She loved to play baseball, and in the summer she played on three handball teams. She was training 7-8 hours a week. She looked forward to celebrating the graduating time, and had rented a car together with friends which they would use in the spring. Victoria was not a very active politician. She was enrolled in AUF on July 15, 2011. After Utøya she and her friends would go on a trip to Bø i Sommerland. They very much looked forward to this. It did not happen. She also planned to study something that could lead to a job with people. She loved animals and loved cats. What mattered for Victoria was being with her friends and her boyfriend. Victoria is missed by her friends and family. She is missed in the women's handball team, she is missed in the graduation ceremony and she is missed at school. Her tomb is very well visited. There is a path around it. There are many who are left with a great sorrow for the loss of the bubbly and jumpy happy girl, who had all of her life ahead of her.

09.27 Arntzen: - Thank you. We now come to Sverre Flåte Bjørkavåg. Can I get the aid lawyer's name?

09.27 Lawyer: - Odd Hovde.

09.27 Police Superintendent Gøran Dyvesveen: - Sverre Flåte Bjørkavåg, born January 1, 1983. Sverre Flåte Bjørkavåg died on the beach by the pump house. The red marker shows where he lay, slightly to the right of the pump house. Here we see the pump house from the trail, and down here on the beach [shows image] was Sverre Flåte Bjørkavåg. Sissel Rogde will then describe the forensic examinations.

09.28 Sissel Rogde takes account of the forensic investigation.

09.29 Rogde: - Sverre Flåte Bjørkavåg was hit by two shots. He died of bullet wounds in the head. They have caused immediate unconsciousness and death.

09.29 Aid Lawyer Odd Harald Hovde: - On behalf of the family Bjørkavåg I have been asked to convey the following. Torhild and Bjarte sit here in the courtroom today. They have lost their oldest son, who got to be 28 years old. His younger brothers sits in the court also. Sverre grew up in Sula i Møre og Romsdal. Sverre did early on show his ability as a safe, stable, caring human being. [A picture of Bjørkavåg outdoors appears on the screen.] In this picture, you see Sverre in the storm on the western coast. In figurative sense, one can say that Sverre fit well into such situations. He was always stable and reliable in even the most tumultuous situations. By the pump house he was probably among those who contributed to the quiet atmosphere we've heard about. Sverre was probably convinced that he should sit this storm out as well. But even Sverre had to give up against the bullets. He was confident and trusting, and he was always the social center. He was known for very striking remarks and a special humor. A taste for puns, with wise and strong words, it will always be remembered. At work he is also missed. He emerged as one of the most patient, facing the most demanding clientele. He was in the final phase of his nursing education. When it comes to politics, he held a number of enlist in the Trade Unions, Labour Youth and Labour. He was factual and highly respected, also among his adversaries. The last thing he did politically was to formulate resistance against social dumping in the workplaces. He was the local representative of the trade union in Møre og Romsdal. He also participated several times in LO's youth squad. In Sula i Møre, the Bjørkavåg family, friends and colleagues are left in great sorrow over the injustice that struck Sverre and so many others on Utøya the summer of 2011.

09.34 Arntzen: - Thank you. The court is now taking a break until 09.50.

09.50 Audience and actors are about to get into the courtroom again after the break.

09.51 The defendant enters the courtroom again. He is standing with the handcuffs on until the judges enters.

09.52 The judges are back in place, and the negotiations continues.

09.52 Arntzen: - We continue with Diderik Aamodt Olsen. Mette Yvonne Larsen will represent him.

09.53 The court will now review the autopsy report of Diderik Aamodt Olsen (19) from Nesodden, Akershus.

09.53 Dyvesveen: - Diderik Aamodt Olsen, born June 3, 1992. Olsen was by the pump house. Diderik Aamodt Olsen died of injuries he suffered and was transported to the land side of Utøya. The tactical investigation has shown where he was picked up. Diderik Aamodt Olsen died in the boat on the way from Utøya to the mainland. [Dyvesveen shows a white marking on the photo where Diderik Aamodt Olsen probably lay]. Sissel Rogde will explain the forensic investigations.

09.57 Rogde: - Diderik Aamodt Olsen was hit by one shot. The cause of death is a gunshot wound to the head. It lead to loss of consciousness and fairly imminent death.

09.58 Larsen: - Here you see a picture of Diderik Aamodt Olsen. His parents will convey the following: "Diderik was only 19 years old. He lived an active life, showed great care and love for his siblings, family and friends. He was a very intelligent boy and he accomplished a lot both socially, academically and athletically the time he was alive. He was elected to the council board at Nesodden. At the autumn 2011, he would have begun to study history at the University of Oslo. Diderik leaves behind his parents, siblings, friends, and a girlfriend who all miss him terribly".

10.00 Dyvesveen: - I just first want to show the summary of the area by the Pump House. It is the same aerial photo as we saw yesterday, where all the fourteen are marked. Colleague Sandsbråten will take over to explain the area at the southern tip.

10.00 The defender Geir Lippestad interrupts.

10.00 Lippestad: - Administrator, Breivik would like to make some comments about the pump house.

10.00 Arntzen: - We can take the commentaries of the pump house after lunch break today.

10.00 Lippestad: - That's okay.

10.01 Police Superintendent Trond Sandsbråten takes over.

10.01 Sandsbråten: - We will move to Sydspissen, where six youths died. Five of them died of gunshot wounds. One drowned. We will move to Sydspissen where six young people died. We begin with an account of Tamta Liparteliani.

10.01 Arntzen: - Can I get the aid lawyer's name?

10.01 Lawyer: - Maria Bergram Aas.

10.02 He shows another picture taken from the water. It is taken on July 22. Sandsbråten also shows a picture taken on the beach, facing the water.

10.02 Tamta Liparteliani, born January 7, 1988, from Kutaisi in Georgia. Tamta Liparteliani died at Sydspissen. [ Sandsbråten shows a picture of the area. It is a pebble beach with bushes.] This photo was taken at Easter time. In the summer there is some more vegetation there.

10.03 Sandsbråten: - A red mark on the photo shows where she lay.

10.05 Sandsbråten refers to images that only the court's professionals get to see, and says there are many clothes in the picture. Sandsbråten says that it is estimated that these clothes belong to youths who have started to swim.

10.06 Forensic Sissel Rogde takes account of the forensic investigation.

10.07 Rogde: - There were two bullet wounds. Tamta Liparteliani died of bullet wounds in the back.

10.07 Aid lawyer Maria Aas Bergram: - Can you tell if she was found in the water and was pulled up at the shore?

10.07 [Sissel Rogde says she does not know anything about it. Trond Sandsbråten says she has been in the edge of the water, but it is not certain if she lay in the water]

10.08 Aid lawyer: - Tamta Lipertaliani was 23 years old. She came from Georgia, she leaves her parents Liya and Avto. She was on Utøya along with her close friend, Natia. They were visiting and represented "Young Socialist of Georgia". Her grandfather Georgy is present in court here today. He says, "Tamta was a beautiful girl with love for others. She had a basic faith in human goodness and a belief that no one would hurt her". She showed respect for her neighbours and was honest. Her parents want to convey some words from her diary: "Never hate and never be jealous. Hatred and jealousy poison the heart. Give of yourself without expecting anything in return". Tamta graduated with very good grades. Her dream was to take a PhD, and she had very good opportunities for this. The family says that Tamta could have done a lot for her family and her country. Now her dreams are buried. She will be deeply missed.

10.11 Arntzen: - Thank you. We have come to Kevin Daae Berland. [One in the court is telling the judge that the family's counsel is in a local district court and that Siv Hallgren is present in courtroom 250 for them.]

10.12 Sandsbråten: - Kevin Daae Berland from Askøy, in Hordaland, born on June 24, 1996. Kevin Daae Berland died at Sydspissen. The red marker which now is coming up shows where Kevin Daae Berland lay. [Sandsbråten shows both a picture taken from above and from the scene of the crime, and Sandsbråten tells what clothes the victim was wearing.] Rogde will now explain the forensic investigations.

10.16 Rogde: - We discovered one gunshot wound. He died of bullet wound in the head and neck. The injuries have been immediately fatal.

10.17 Aid Lawyer Siv Hallgren: - The family says: "Kevin was 15 years old. He was good at school and had both short-term and long-term plans for the future and would start the 10th class. He was the class representative and active in the youth council. He became deputy in Askøy AUF in April 2011. He took time off from his summer job in order to go to his first summer camp on Utøya. He took care of others who were shut out from the social community. He had a strong sense of justice and fought just as well for justice for others as for his own. He showed great independence early. It was easy to be Kevin's parents in recent years. He was rock solid. All that was required of us was presence and support, and it was a great pleasure to be there. Kevin is described by a good buddy as stable, and that he was always there. He is a missed boy, brother and friend.

10.20 Arntzen: - Thank you. We move on to Karin Elena Holst.

10.20 Hallgren says that the counsel is at a local court with the family.

10.20 Sandsbråten: - Karin Elena Holst, born August 18, 1995. Karin Elena Holst died on Sydspissen. The red marker shows where Karin Elena Holst lay. In the next picture we see the area from the island toward the water. [He refer to the pictures of Holst and tells what clothes she was wearing.] Rogde will now describe the forensic examinations.

10.21 Rogde takes over and shows where Holst was shot.

10.22 Rogde: - On Karin Elena Holst we detected one gunshot wound. The shooting distance was very short. She died of a gunshot wound to the head. It has resulted in immediate unconsciousness and rapid death.

10.23 Sandsbråten adds that this is correct and says that only cartridge from the rifle was recovered in this area. In order to provide this type of injury, the distance must be very short, he said.

10.24 Assists Attorney: - We have received the following from the mother: "Karin was on Utøya for the first time as representative for AUF Mo i Rana. She was a committed young politician who was looking forward to meeting young people who shared her beliefs. Karin was very concerned with equal right to education. She wanted a tolerant society with openness and freedom. She liked to debate, but respected the opinions of others. Karin had infectious humor and a distinctive laugh. Karin was a good and loyal friend, who was good at listening, and always stood up for others. She had just finished 10th class and looked forward to the start of Polarsirkelen High School. Like many others, she was not sure what profession she would take, but she was fond of animals and liked to be amongst people. Karin was one of the last who was killed at Utøya. In the last phone conversation with her parents, she cried repeated how much she loved them and that she wanted to go home. She never came home. Karin's father Øyvind died April 18 this year before the trial started after a short illness. As a retired police officer he asked the question, "How could this happen? Why didn't help get there earlier?" He never got an answer. The loss is a heavy burden. Karin leaves behind a mother. All the good memories will live forever"

10.28 Arntzen: - Thank you. The court will take a break.

10.28 Larsen: - Administrator, may I take some practical things at first. We heard that Breivik would want to say something. I ask to let him say what he wants to after lunch. I represent three of those who died in the pump house. I suggest that he gets to say it, and then we take a break. That way those who do not want to hear it can come in afterwards.

10.29 Judge Arntzen says it is okay.

10.29 The court takes a break.

10.47 Breivik enters into the court again.

10.47 The judges arrives.

10.48 Arntzen: - The negotiations continues. We now come to Rafal Mohamad Jamil Jamil.

10.49 Sandsbråten: - Rafal Mohamad Jamil Jamil. Born March 5, 1991. Rafal Mohamad Jamil Jamil died at Sydspissen. We shall now see aerial photos and the red marker shows where Rafal Mohamad Jamil Jamil lay. [Pictures from the place Rafal Mohamad Jamil Jamil was found]. [Sandsbråten is talking about the pictures and tells what the victim was wearing]. Rogde will now describe the forensic examinations.

10.51 Rogde: - It was proven at least one gunshot wound. She died of gunshot wounds to the neck and head. They have caused immediate unconsciousness and imminent death.

10.52 Aid lawyer Kari Nordtun: - Rafal was only 20 years old. She was born in Iraq but lived in Egersund with her family. She had lived in Norway for a little over a year before she traveled to Utøya for the first time. Rafal had plans to be a dentist and was excited to begin at health sciences in high school next year. She wanted to help and contribute to the community that had helped her and her family when they came from Iraq. The friends who stood near her will remember her gentle and excellent care, warm personality and zest for life. Her friends describe her as active and social. She stood up and always had a gentle disposition. Rafal looked forward to starting at high school. She leaves behind her mother, father and brother. The loss is huge.

10.55 Arntzen: - Thank you. We now come to Andrine Bakkene Espeland. Can I get the aid lawyer's name?

10.55 Aid lawyer: - Linda Solberg Børsand.

10.55 The court will now review the autopsy report of Andrine Bakkene Espeland (16) from Fredrikstad in Østfold.

10.56 Sandsbråten starts as usual to mark the location on an aerial photo, before he marks where she was found on images from different angles. The location is marked with a red dot. The images shown on the big screen are clean thumbnails after the dead are carried away.

10.57 Sandsbråten: - Andrine Bakkene Espeland, born July 30, 1994. Andrine Bakkene Espeland died on Sydspissen. We will now see snippets of aerial photographs and the red mark that is now coming, is showing where Andrine Bakkene Espeland lay. We recognize the vegetation on the image, and the red marker shows where she lay. The next image is taken from the water. Also here she is highlighted in red.

10.58 Sandsbråten also this time refers to the images in a separate folder and says what clothes she wore.

10.58 Rogde details the forensic investigations.

10.59 Rogde: - Three gunshot wounds were found. Andrine Bakkene Espeland died of bullet wounds in the head and chest. The head shot has caused immediate unconsciousness and imminent death.

10.59 Aid Lawyer: - This picture of Andrine is taken on Utøya July 20 last year. [Displays on the screen.] The family wishes to convey the following. Andrine grew up and lived in Sarpsborg. She was now finished with her first year of food and restaurant in high school. Becoming a skilled pastry chef was her dream. She was a family-loving girl and was an example to two older sisters and two stepsisters. She was a thoughtful girl with a luring smile. You often saw her reading a book and with music on her ears. Growing up, she did theater and she was active in the student council. She was engaged with the community early on and she had a heart for those who didn't have it very well. The stories about Andrine who helped others are many. It could be the young girl that dreaded the first day of school, her friend who would drop out of school, or the girl who couldn't run anymore on Utøya, but who Andrine helped further. She had been involved in AUF for half a year. She was concerned about education policy, and that everyone should have the same opportunities. This past year she blossomed, because she was engaged in what she liked. The 30th July 2011 she would have turned 17 years old. That day her family said goodbye to her in an open casket. The family says they got a glimpse of the adult person Andrine would be. They will remember Andrine with love in their hearts.

11.04 Arntzen: - Thank you. We now come to Håkon Ødegaard. Can I get the name of the aid lawyer?

11.04 Aid Lawyer: - Lilli Marie Brimi.

11.04 Judge Arntzen: - We have now came to Håkon Ødegaard.

11.05 Sandsbråten: - Håkon Ødegaard, born May 18, 1994. Håkon Ødegaard drowned at Sydspissen. Divers from the fire department took him up on the shore and lay him with the other dead on Sydspissen. The red marker illustrates the area where Håkon Ødegaard was found by divers from the fire department. Rogde will now describe the forensic examinations.

11.07 Rogde: - Håkon Ødegaard had no bullet wounds and no signs of damage. We have therefore concluded that the cause of death is drowning.

11.07 Aid Lawyer Lilli Marie Brimi: - Honourable court. On behalf of Mom, Dad and Ida I wish to read out the following words: "Håkon was incredibly kind and always wanted the best for others. He was a wonderful brother. He had the ability to care for those around him. He listened to others, whether it was in class, the band or as confirmation leader. For Håkon music was a big part of his life, whether it was music from the mp3 player, tuba in the corps or bass in the band. He finished the first year of high school, music department, and was looking forward to going on. One of the friends in the school band says: "You meant so much for an incredible number of people. The band will not be the same without you". In a week, May 18th, Håkon would have been 18 years old. The best thing with becoming 18 was to get into the concerts he wanted. A memorial and a piece of music have been created in memory of Håkon. It's called "Never again". It is in memory of all those who didn't come home from Utøya. Dreams were taken from him, but the memories will always be with us".

11.09 Sandsbråten: - We have now accounted for those who died at Sydspissen. [Sandsbråten summarizes and displays with the marker, but is interrupted by a man shouting and throwing a shoe towards Breivik. The shoe thrower did not hit Breivik, but his defense lawyer Vibeke Hein Bæra who's sitting between Breivik and the bench with the audience.]

11.10 The audience member who threw the shoe breaks out: "You killer! You killed my brother! Go to hell!"

11.10 It was all quiet in the room when it happened. Afterwards there were many who cried, clearly upset. One could also hear some people in the audience saying, "Finally".

11.11 The audience is clapping and shouting bravo.

11.11 The man is being quickly led out, while he continues to shout.

11.12 He shouts several times: "You killer! Go to hell!"

11.13 The judge says the court will take a ten-minute break.

11.13 The defendant is brought out.

11.14 The Judges leaves. Lippestad remains. He discusses with Holden and a police officer.

11.17 Defender Vibeke Hein Bæra said that a black men's shoe was thrown towards Breivik.'s reporter in the audience says that the shoe is still on the floor in the courtroom.

11.20 The shoe is now removed from the courtroom.

11.28 Some of the audience enter the courtroom again. Several standing and talking together.

11.29 Aid lawyers Mette Yvonne Larsen and Frode Elgesem appear serious and hesitated. They sit in their seats talking. Geir Lippestad enters and talks to the other three defenders.

11.32 Prosecutor Inga Bejer Engh: - I cringed and got scared.

11.34 Brevik is led back into the court again. It looks like he is giving some messages to a police officer.

11.34 The judges comes back.

11.35 Judge Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen: - You're welcome to continue the review.

11.35 Sandsbråten: - We have explained the six who died on Sydspissen. We will move forward on Utøya and describe the area on the west end. On Vestspissen one youth died. The investigation has not been able to make the timing of his death 100 percent clear, but it was in the time window between what happened at Kjærlighetsstien and Bolsjevika. [Because of these reasons they have chosen to place him at the end of the indictment] We recognize the aerial image of the island. The next picture is taken from the water and we see the western tip of Utøya here. We will now describe Andreas Dalby Grønnesby who died in this area.

11.37 Arntzen: - Can I get the assistance lawyer's name?

11.37 Lawyer: - Inger Johanne Hansen Reiestad.

11.38 Sandsbråten: - Andreas Dalby Grønnesby from Stange in Hedmark, born on July 16, 1994. Andreas Dalby Grønnesby died at Vestpissen. He was found and transported by emergency response personnel to the pier where he was examined by us.

11.39 A selection of photographs shows how he fell down and died. An aerial image shows an overview. A marker shows the slope where Grønnesby fell down.

11.40 Sandsbråten refers to images that the court actors have been given, and tells what clothes he wore.

11.41 Rogde: - Under the investigation of Andreas Dalby Grønnesby no gunshot wounds were detected. [Rogde says Grønnesby had other external and internal injuries]. The head injuries probably caused unconsciousness. The cause of death is not clear.

11.42 Aid Lawyer Hansen - The family of Andreas asked me to convey the following. Andreas had had his birthday on the 16th July 2011 and experienced being 17 years for just a few days. He went to Hamar Cathedral School in the line of design and craftsmanship. Andreas was a social and creative boy with many both tried and untried abilities. Photography and music were among the things he liked the most. Friends meant a lot and he was important for a lot of people. Contact through the web made him have friends all over the country. Andreas, or "Andy", as friends called him, was well liked, and an humorous joy spreader. He was not very politically active, but he went to Utøya for the first time to meet old and new friends and enjoy being with young people from across the country. Little did we know, when he left, that this was the last time we would see our beloved son. Mother says, "A mother's heart cries in pain after the loss of her son. When cold and heat clash, it is always the heat who is the strongest element. Let us remember that". His little sister says, "the safety in having a big brother is torn away from me. Now I'm an only child". Father said : Andreas was a wise and inquisitive boy, who was keen to find his own way instead of copying others". Andreas was much loved by all and is deeply missed.

11.46 Sandsbråten. - We have now accounted for the 69 who died on Utøya. We emphasize that the order we followed is the same route which the investigation shows that the defendant went. As for the order within each area, we can not conclude who died when.

11.47 Sandsbråten shows an aerial view and point out all the places where people were killed at Utøya, but does not mention who was killed.

11.47 Sandsbråten: - Two people died by the main house. Then, in the area between the main house and the cafe building, four died. Then south of the café ... three youths died here. At the camp ground one person died. He then went into the café building. 13 died here. From there to Kjærlighetsstien ... 15 youths died here, ten on the trail, five on the slope and in the water below. In the forest by Skolestua two youths died. Further on to Stoltenberget and Bolsjevika... eight died here. By the pump house 14 youths died, one of them in the boat on the way over to the land side. At Sydspissen six died, one of drowning. Finally, Vestspissen, where a youth fell down and died. He is likely killed between Kjærlighetsstien and Bolsjevika in time.

11.52 Judge Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen: - Thank you. I would like to thank all who have contributed to the fact that this extremely heavy review of each death in the government quarter and Utøya has taken place in a respectful and meaningful way. The court is now taking a break until 12.45.

12.44 The actors are heading into court again. Anders Behring Breivik is escorted into the courtroom after the lunch break and one police officer takes off his handcuffs.

12.49 Arntzen: - The negotiations continue. And Breivik had a wish to comment on the circumstances surrounding the pump house.

12.50 Lippestad: - That is correct.

12.50 Arntzen: - Go ahead, Breivik.

12.51 Breivik: - There was one place on Utøya where I was attacked, and that was by the pump house. There was a person who threw an object towards me. He hit me in the face. I thought I should just mention it.

12.52 - One more thing: one person named Lars Øberg testified yesterday. I charged at him, but did not pull the trigger. The reason I didn't pull the trigger was that the magazine was empty. I think that was the reason.

12.53 - Another point, or there are two points: the autopsy reports are somewhat misleading, because the head shot comes last and not first. That's how it is almost all the time. One more thing when it comes to movement. The reason I did not go to the east side of the island was to avoid being shot by Delta from the other side. It was planned.

12.53 Judge Arntzen says that the court takes a short break until 13.

13.00 The judges enters.

13.00 Arntzen: - I will for the sake of order inform that the single episode we had before lunch seems to have been handled in a good way.

13.01 Arntzen: - We continue with the first witness for today, and that is Eivind Rindal.

13.01 Holden: - He is present and probably right around the corner.

13.02 [He enters. Eivind Rindal takes place in the witness box. Judge Arntzen takes personalia on Rindal and takes him under oath.]

13.03 Prosecutor Holden: - You were on Utøya July 22, can you explain what you experienced there?

13.03 Witness Eivind Rindal: - July 22, at 17.20, I start around there, I was in one of the cabins at the LO-top along with two others. We were listening to the radio and got the news of what had happened in Oslo. A few minutes after 17.20 we heard the sound of something that to me seemed like explosions. It turned out to be shots. It sounded as if it was on land, but when I got out of the cabin I noticed that the sound came from below the information building. After going out, I saw people moved toward the infocenter before they more or less turned their heels and came back.

13.05 - I'm sure it was Snorre who instructed me to get to safety. By the café building there was a guard in yellow vest that showed the way behind the café building.

13.05 Holden points out that there is a map of Utøya on the screens, and that he can show his movements on the island on this.

13.05 Rindal: - [Displays a map of Utøya. Rindal shows with a mouse pointer where he went] I was standing behind the café building with a group of others. We heard shots again, much closer than before. There was already a chaotic atmosphere, but this got significantly worse, and it went over to panic.

13.06 - I then, more or less controlled, move down the rock cliff that goes down in the woods there [shows on the map]. It was in diagonal line, so I cross the tractor road against the pump house and reach down to what is referred to as Kjærlighetsstien. I observe in the corner of my eye people who stumble and fall. There is clearly confusion, and there is a chaotic atmosphere. I try to keep myself as controlled as possible, do not run, and at the same time keep as low profile as possible, and be as small a target as possible, in case there should be any shooters nearby. I follow the trail while I get out by the sanitary building. I come up at Kjærlighetsstien, one of the points closest to the camp ground. There is a larger group of people standing there, among others Tonje Brenna, who was testifying yesterday. Some are apathetic, some are crying, some are discussing what is happening.

13.08 - Some say they think this sounds like blanks. I say in the passing that "I dare not say anything" and that "I would rather have reliable information". I move along the path until I approach the caves. My plan was to hide in these caves.

13.08 Holden: - Rindal, we haven't heard about these caves?

13.09 Rindal: - You haven't? I have been told that there are some limestone caves on the island. They have been used as a hiding place among people who fled religious persecution in the Middle Ages. I have not been there myself, but I know where they are. The road down to them is blocked with a little water. It is a hard road down there and the path down to the caves however was full of people that attracted attention.

13.10 - At this point I would seek a place where there weren't so many others, so I could keep a low profile. I decide to turn back and look for a place in the forest where it may be possible to hide. That's when I try to call the police for the first time. It may be timing is correct, but it can also vary by a few minutes, but it is at least saying 17.29 in my phone log. I had passed the rock tent [shows where on the map]

13.11 - When I come down in the woods, I see people move along the edge of the water, in the direction of Sydspissen. I follow. There are boats quite far out on the water. I ignore the boats and make no attempt to contact them. I see that people start to swim and people are trying, persuaded to swim. Those who do not know if they can swim look desperate. They are convinced they will be left behind when the others swim. I take hold of these persons and try my best to provide comfort and help them to get into coverage. Eventually we hide under a slab.

13.12 - We have laid down and calmed somewhat down, so that we can think more clearly. And I'm very happy that we climbed up from the hiding place, as I have gotten to know where the defendant was shooting people afterwards. It would be fairly easy to detect us. It is around this point I come through to the police on number 112 for the first time. It is a brief conversation, and I am quite quickly interrupted with the words "help is on the way". On my mobile log it says 18.32, but it may as well be 18:30.

13.13 Holden asks if he means at 17.

13.13 Rindal and Holden agree the time was 17.32.

13.13 Rindal: - It's on my mobile, but it may be we can subtract up to two and a half minutes for the times shown. I am moving ... After we lay there we hear the shots are coming closer. So I estimate him to come from that area here. [Showing on the map.]

13.14 - I heard the sound of the shots were changing while I moved here. The shots sounded to come in short, controlled series. It was apparent single shots, but many together, almost never just one shot. I also heard that they came from two different weapons. The shots seemed very targeted with short, fast intervals. It was apparent single shots in quick precise series. That's the impression I got from listening to the sound. While we lay here the shots came closer. We found that it was smart to split up. We were five or six. We moved to the north-east, that is, we followed the shoreline.

13.15 - When we come here [show on map] there is a small bay. There was water in this bay, not as dry as it looks like [shows on the photo taken later when the water level wasn't high]. I made the assessment that one is less mobile in the water and there could be roots and ditches under the water. In addition, you splash, which makes it easier to attract attention. It is also a bad call if you have to flee. I chose to go to a rock cliff and avoided the worst thorn bushes. Utøya was a place with good coverage.

13.16 - When I came around here [pointing at the map] I heard shots. Not very many shots, but I went into flight mode. It was the only time I really ran for my life. I felt the shots were right behind me. Most likely they were fired in this area [shows on the map]. I didn't take the chance to turn around. I was thinking there was only one thing to do which was to run, and that was in my opinion the best chance to survive.

13.17 - I predicted the best opportunity was to get away. I got through the thorn bushes in an incomprehensible way. [Showing on the map where he runs.] The pebbles were extremely slippery because it had rained a lot and there was a lot of mud. I manage to get myself along the waterfront and the pier by running, walking fast and crawling. I see the boat "Reiulf" lie at the pier. I walk down the pier.

13.18 - I see five - six people on board. There are several on the shore, or who are about to board the other boat. I notice they are trying to board "Reiulf". I board, as well. I ask the others to loosen the mooring and to push the boat from the shore. I'm taking control. I make an attempt to start the engine. I pressed a green button, and there was a sound. It also lit the lanterns. I can't say that helped to increase the peace.

13.19 - We need to get the boat out from shore and to turn the boat. It was equipped with two oars. [Asking for it to be shown a picture of the boat Reiulf.]

13.19 Holden: - We'll see if we have the opportunity ... We do not. But the court has seen it, so I think we'll take the chance that it's OK.

13.19 Rindal: - It's OK, then. When we came out from the shore, there is still some people running on the pier.

13.20 - We have no opportunity to wait, but those that remain on the pier have to throw themselves into the water and swim to us. There are some people left on shore. They said to me a few days later, they made a conscious choice not to go out on the pier, because they were afraid they would be in danger there. They went around here in the vegetation, and plunged into the water and began to swim out in a diagonal. We picked them up over here. I took one of the oars. I had to make it clear that I wanted to have control on one oar, cause I knew how to row a boat. We manage eventually to get some kind of rhythm in the rowing, and I would estimate the speed was something like two knots, considering that this is a boat that is not built for speed.

13.22 Rindal asks if he can get another map that shows the current position on the water, making it easier to see.

13.22 Prosecutor Holden believes it's not necessary and asks him to continue.

13.22 Rindal: - It would be very nice if there had been a map... But anyway, we get quite far out in the bay, at least 70 meters and I will estimate it to be maximum 140 meters. Because of the lighting conditions at the time it is difficult to be precise. But then we see the killer coming down to the pier. We throw ourselves down in the boat, and in a second- or maybe less than a second too - the first bullets fly over our heads. I hear the sound of projectiles and can eventually feel the pressure from projectiles over my head. The projectiles hit the water and the boat. It was fired a minimum of ten shots but under 30. There were several shots that hit the boat. I would estimate that four hit the boat.

13.23 Holden: - The court has been hearing from criminal technicians that there were six shots that hit the boat.

13.24 Rindal: - We were shot at, and while we were under fire, it was a very special situation in the boat. It was naturally a great fear of death. There was a clear understanding that this boat did not provide adequate protection. Those who were on board were not seriously injured, thankfully. If there's been a thing I have thought a lot about in retrospect, it is that if a different type of ammunition had been used lives would be lost, because other ammunition could perforate the boat. It was also lucky that we managed to dodge in time.

13.25 Holden: - And the shooter. What impression did you get of the shooter?

13.25 Rindal: - The shots around did not feel so precise. I noticed that the first shots went into the water and in the air above us. The shots came in a quick burst. When the shots stopped, I chose to look up. I lay still and looked over the edge.

13.26 Rindal: - I saw clearly a person in dark clothing with this reflective tape down his trousers and with it I thought it was a bulletproof vest. I saw he had a lighter weapon. I estimated it to be an automatic weapon, based on how quickly the shots came. I saw in silhouette that he was holding a gun. I saw an extra magazine, which made the weapon got a shape like an AK47. [Explains what this is, a Russian weapon]. I lay like that for a while, I saw that he was moving toward the main house. At this moment he lowers his body. He moves in a defensive position, as if he were in a combat situation. It reminded of how soldiers move when they try to avoid being shot. It seemed like something from military films.

13.28 - He moved up against the main house. And it is at this time, a little after, that the smoke grenade is fired. The shots came, in other words, before the smoke grenade was detonated. That is the last I saw of the perpetrator at Utøya, and what I could directly observe of him. It may be that I saw the shadow of him elsewhere, but this is the only time I can say with certainty that I saw the person who took lives.

13.29 Holden: - What happened on the boat?

13.29 Rindal: - I had to assure what the situation was like. Was anyone hurt? Did someone need help beyond being comforted? Furthermore, it was to ensure peace in the boat, and that people remained low, quiet, still, in case there would be others who would want to shoot at us. Of course we didn't knew at this time what the situation was like, how many perpetrators there were, so we had a policy that everyone could be potentially terrorists. Everyone. However, there were others I saw as safe, like the paramedics. The reason for this was because I could not imagine such a cold-blooded plan to use a large array of fake paramedics to lure people into a trap.

13.31 - After taking a look at the damages of the people on board I took a look at the material damages. "Did we take in water? Do we have to start swimming?" This was important to clarify. There wasn't a huge amount of water leaking into the boat. The water came in modest amounts, so we did not have to plan any evacuation of the boat. There was also a significant uncertainty and it was hard to get people to row. I eventually convinced people that we had to row further from Utøya. Later we saw a policeman on Utvika from some distance. It was difficult to know if this was an accomplice, as the perpetrator on the island had the same clothing. We therefore chose not to enter the land side because we didn't see any uniformed police cars either. We saw boats that picked up people north-east of Utøya and north of our position. We also observed some that had started to swim to the north of Utøya. There was someone who swam beside the boat and we picked him up into the boat. We were twelve people on board including him.

13.33 - We discussed whether we should throw out the lifebuoy to someone who was swimming around 40 meters away. I said no because we would not be able to throw that far, in addition we would lose a float. There were a few more instances where I had to use all the authority I had to get through what I considered to be the safest solution, but mostly the cooperation in the boat worked quite well.

13.34 Holden: - You then get in contact with another boat?

13.34 Rindal: - At first, we contacted the police. The time was 17.52. It had been some time since we were shot at. That was a call that lasted 2 minutes. It was not I who called, but I took back my phone after listening to incoherent talk about machine guns for a while. I called again and gave the sergeant the same info as I gave to you about what the perpetrator looked like. I emphatically said that people were swimming. I said that I feared that someone could drown, and I said that we would need a helicopter. I also gave an exact position of the boat "Reiulf" and told how many people were on board. Afterwards we came to the other boats. We thought, "Are these friends or not friends?" My strategy was to see how they dealt with people who swam, if the boats picked up people or shot at them. We tried to stay low in the boat so that they couldn't see us, but when we saw that they wanted to help people, we changed the strategy. If they picked up people, it would be safe to call for attention. Eventually we came in contact with a boat, which first took an extra lap to get in contact with some swimmers. [Explains where they are] Eventually the boat returns and we manage to get a tow rope attached to the boat, which rushes off at great speed.

13.38 - I ask the others on board in Reiulf to lay low and to get to the back of the boat, because of the danger that the tow rope would break and come back at us with great speed. There is a risk in towing boats and also cars. We managed to get to the shore. At first we're almost thrown on shore, literally, because the tugboat has a too high speed. It gave immediate panic in the boat, because we didn't think it was a cop we had observed on the land side, and we feared that we would end up closer to a potentially new killer. Then we were dragged around here, and onto shore here [shows on the map]. I can tell that from the start I had great confidence in the policemen and the rescue people who were there, because I saw that they were helping the swimmers to shore. There is a farm that lies over here [shows on map]. I may mention that when we came on shore, the time was about six. 10-12 minutes past six, we were ashore. We are received, I leave the boat as the last person to check that there is no personal property that is left. I sent a text message to my mother at 18.07 that we came to be rescued, so that matches well. When we came ashore, we were well taken care of. Since I had a phone that worked I made it available. Since people were cold, I offered some to lend the rain jacket and a sweater I was wearing. We are evacuated to an apartment in an ambulance station used by Norwegian Aid people about 1-2 km from Utvika. We stay there until we are transported by bus to Sundvolden.

13.41 - I can say that of all the experience I had that day - the most dramatic and the last one I will forget - was to look into the eyes of the other survivors. The picture was total chaos and they had lived to see their whole world fall apart. It was clear it wasn't sorrow. What I saw was not a reaction. It was empty stares. The feelings were in a weird situation, although I myself was very calm.

13.41 Holden: - I have no questions related to the event at July 22. How has the time been afterwards?

13.42 Rindal: - For me personally it has gone surprisingly well. The first few weeks I asked myself the questions: "Is it right that it is going so well with me?" Is it right that I have no nightmares, that I sleep well and have an appetite? For me it has been a weird time. For me it was important to see what I can contribute and manage. As I mentioned, I study political science in which I might have an above average interest in ideology. So I've spent some time on it. In addition, I have been in the media a lot and I have arranged some meetings for survivors and the bereaved.

13.43 Holden: - Is there anything further you want to add?

13.43 Rindal: - One of the things that I want to add, and that I think is important to include, is the situation of those who weren't physically hurt at July 22. It was agony for us in the boat. We were the victim of a murder attempt. It's luck that made us survive. The shots were not intimidation, they were shots to kill. The odds were not in our favour and many of those who were in the boat experienced seeing the most horrible things. [Tells more details about this].

13.44 - These memories are just as deep as physical wounds. It is important that they get the same restoration as those injured. We were all exposed to attempt of murder. There was a person who wanted to kill us. I know that many of those who were aboard the boat were under 18. There were people who were secondary school students. And some who had not yet reached confirmation age were in that boat, and they were exposed to danger. I would like to add one thing, and it is about how we communicated and the feedback we got in conversation with the police. While we were at Utøya, I got feedback that the help was on the way. It took almost an hour before the help arrived Utøya after we had been told that the help was on the way. And there was neither any clear indication of how we should handle the situation, or what we should do next. Also, when we were in the boat and told them that we were being shot at, we got no message about what we should do next. This is something to think about in retrospect. Otherwise I would say there has been good support afterwards. I've been offered everything I needed, and I have been offered more help than I've had to take up on, from the public, from organizations and individuals. In addition, I will also give credit to the Norwegian media. They have dealt with this matter in a respectful manner. I want to thank the discretion they have shown in their meeting with us. For me it has also been a form of therapy to get to talk about this with journalists and contribute to information and in that way do my civic duty. And that's what I wanted to say if there are no more questions.

13.48 Holden: - Then I say thank you.

13.48 Defender Lippestad has some questions.

13.48 Lippestad: - You remember many details from the passage with Reiulf. You testified you saw Breivik on the pier lie flat down. Can you remember if there was any activity on the opposite side - on the land side?

13.49 Rindal: - At that time, the view was naturally facing the person who was trying to kill us. It is natural not to look in the opposite direction then. You do not want to have your back against someone who shoots at you, but as we got further, we discovered that there were people and activity on the pier ashore. We were nervous about who this could be. We wondered if there was someone who communicated with someone on Utøya. It was clear that they had police uniforms and at this time we were halfway to shore.

13.50 Lippestad: - Can you estimate approximately how long it took before you saw policemen at the land side?

13.50 Rindal: - It is difficult to say precisely. But based on the phone log it looks like it was a good distance, and between the first phone call and the next. When we stood still we discovered activity. Before that we saw movement up on the highway, the black Mercedes cars of the police who drove there. It was a signal that help was on the way. We saw them extremely clearly.

13.51 Aid Lawyer Frode Elgesem asks Rindal to tell what course they set out from the dock, and if they had a specific goal.

13.51 The court is shown a larger map of Utøya and the water around.

13.52 Rindal: - I shall briefly give the whole course. We turn to the south and move in a course away. I'm a little unsure of the distance. [Showing this on a map.]

13.52 Elgesem: - Where's the shooter?

13.52 Rindal: - He stands at the tip of the pier. [Showing on the map where the boat is and where the shots are coming from. Rindal points out where "Reiulf" was at the time the boat was fired upon, and where the perpetrator stood. Rindal shows where "Reiulf" went toward the land side. Rindal said they stopped rowing when they were in the middle of the water. From there they were towed to the shore.]

13.54 Larsen: - I have a few questions, is it okay? There are several who are wondering about the time line, and you've been pretty accurate with the time. The question is, when did you put the boat out from the shore? What time would you estimate?

13.54 Rindal: - Yeah, I do not have an exact time. When I fled I had other things to do and think about than checking the time.

13.55 Larsen: - I understand. We fully understand if you do not remember the times, just so that is said.

13.55 Rindal: - But I guess it was around 17.40. That should fit with that we went slowly, with us stopping and running. The latest time must have been 17.45. We can most likely say 17.43.

13.56 Larsen: - Did you see any other boats on the bay when you went out?

13.56 Rindal: - I've said earlier, when I was at Kjærlighetsstien there were boats in the water in that area here [show on map.] But when we left the island, there were no boats in the sector here. There were no boats immediately near us when we were shot at.

13.57 Larsen: - Did you get any impression of what the boats were doing there?

13.57 Rindal: - The first boats seemed as if there were people who were curious about what was going on. Some moved towards the island and back out again, it was difficult to estimate what purpose they had. But as I see the boats in the areas here and here [shows on the map], I saw they picked up people, and that was also something that made sure I got confidence in them and that we could call on them for help.

13.58 Larsen: - Can you suggest anything about how many boats were lying there and picked up people?

13.58 Rindal: - I did not focus very much on those south of us, which were on the south-east side of Utøya. The focus was on these four points here [shows on the map]. I will say that there were three to four boats that were active in the area. I noticed two boats in particular. In addition, there were boats south of us here [show on map]. I would think there were more than three boats on the bay.

13.59 Larsen: - Finally, Rindal. When approximately do you get to the country side?

13.59 Rindal: - Again, I know that I sent a text message to my mom at 18.07 and shortly after we came ashore. I looked at the clock as I sat in the van, the time was then 18.22 and we were ashore a few minutes before that. I estimate we were ashore around 18.10.

13.59 Elgesem: - Who else was in the boat with you?

14.00 Rindal: - I had not conducted a roll call, and I'm very bad at remembering names. I think it is better if the prosecutor takes that, as based on testimonies he knows who it is.

14.00 Holden says Rindal won't have to read the names, and that he will do it soon.

14.01 Larsen: - You've described how you heard the shots. What can you say about your perception of Breivik?

14.01 Rindal: - The clues I have to say anything about Breivik during the massacre. I can break it into three points. 1) It was sound, movement, rhythm and shots. 2) By seeing the shooter on the pier. 3) There was another observation than the shooting, which was associated with the events. The shots seemed controlled. They seemed rehearsed, focused and effective. It did not seem like a waste of ammo or wild shooting. It was not a wild shooting spree. It seemed that the shots came from a professional killer. It was quiet on Utøya at that time. The shots came in a quick burst, then there was a pause, then there came new shots in rapid series. When it comes to my observance of him on the pier: When I saw him on the pier, I see an attacker who calmly lifts a weapon against us. There was no violent movement, no running, no fumbling, but purposeful movements. For other observations, the answer will be: No. I saw no extreme right-wing salute or shouting from the perpetrator or any other special gestures. I heard no words, no laughter. [elaborates how it was on Utøya]

14.05 Rindal: - I heard nothing but shots and people crying or talking quietly.

14.05 Prosecutor Holden read the names of those who were in Reiulf in the crossing.

14.05 Arntzen: - Thank you. Then you're done here.

14.06 The judge said that the court takes a break until 14.20 before the next witness.

14.18 NRK's reporter inside the courtroom discloses that there are some small changes in security arrangements after the throwing of the shoe. When Breivik is led in and out of the court room there now stand officers in front of him in the path between the audience and where he is.

14.24 Breivik enters into court again and stands next to his defenders.

14.25 The defendant's main defenders, Geir Lippestad and Vibeke Hein Bæra, talk together before the judges enter.

14.26 The judges enter.

14.27 Judge Arntzen: - The proceedings continue. I will first address a practical question. We have received a request to broadcast the incident that happened before lunch. We take a spin on the latest witness, so that the parties can say something about it at the end of the day. We continue with the day's last witness, and that is Munir Osman Humed Jaber.

14.28 [The witness oath]

14.28 [Aid lawyer is Sidsel Katralen]

14.28 Arntzen: - Go ahead, prosecutor.

14.28 Prosecutor Inga Bejer Engh: - I will ask what we have asked the others. You were on Utøya. Can you start by explaining what you experienced July 22?

14.28 Jaber: - I'm standing in the hallway in the café building and talking with a girlfriend about what had happened in Oslo. We hear something that sounds like fireworks on the square, by the kiosk. We were a little upset about it and asked if they could stop with what they did. We see those who stand before us, they run towards us in the hallway and have a facial expression that I perceived as serious. It was no nonsense and play. Then I pulled against the wall and said "stay back". I turned around into Storsalen. I shouted "everyone must get out of here. Keep your head under the windows and get out of here!"

14.30 - People understood it, and began to move. One person stands up and shouts: "Stop. What are we running from"? I run toward the front door and saw a woman who had been shot. She had a Norwegian Aid uniform. [Describing what he saw.] I run into Storsalen again and shout: "Trust me, get out". So I run back to the front door. I have no sense of how many there are who are shooting. There were many shoes that blocked the door so I could not shut the door. I felt it took forever to kick them away, so that I could close the door. One comes running to help me to get the shoes away. People had also hung up garments there, and I started to tear this down. I said, "Get away. You must get out". He looks at me and runs back. We were really in the firing line if the perpetrator would come. Finally I get to close the door. I go back to Storsalen, which I consider to be very empty. I go to the window and see the killer with his body facing the window.

14.33 Jaber: - He stands at the trail by the tent camp. He stands and smiles satisfied with the gun facing the stage, and the staircase at the small stage. And he walks very calmly. For me it was ... I had seen someone being killed, and I had also seen an offender who smiled satisfied and was very calm, and who also wore what to me looked like a very unrealistic police uniform. So I thought that this was an exercise because the perpetrator was so calm. But yet I do not let it limit the way I act, I assume that this may be the worst, and run back into Storsalen and look into Lillesalen.

14.35 Engh: - How many people were in Storsalen at this time?

14.35 Jaber: - I remember there wasn't anyone there. So I go out into the hallway, where there are very many people. From the second door which is leading into the cafeteria, and the other side, there are a lot of people. Then we hear shots from inside the building. It's really a lot of shots, and you hear the weapon is inside the building because of the echo. So we have to get people away, and we direct them. I'm standing directing by the entrance to the cafeteria.

14.36 - We made sort of a line, a group, which was going into the cafeteria. There was panic and people ran each other down. We had to lift and push people forward. I had to get everyone out of there. At one point I heard shots in the hallway. As I stand there, right in front of the hallway to the cafeteria, I'm thinking that I need to get away. There hung pictures above us in the hallway where we run. They fell down and the glass crashed down on us. I just ran out. I run toward the door I had locked. I stopped by the smoking corner and the NATO - outhouse.

14.37 Engh: - How many people were on the island?

14.37 Jaber: - Out on the place, by the outhouses, there is a downward slope. It leads to Kjærlighetsstien. We were around 15 people who stopped there, and there was one that had blood on them, but no one had been injured. Then we wondered if "this is for real? Or was it an exercise?" None of the people I was with were injured. We checked if it was real blood. While we are talking, we hear shooting. They are on the way out and heading to the square. Then it's as if we never wondered if it was real and we just run down the trail, i.e. Kjærlighetsstien [show on map]. At the moment we are a group, it was important to calm down the people I was with and say we'll get an overview over this and figure it out. I get a call from my uncle who is in Denmark. He asks me if it everything is OK. He asks if I was at Youngstorget , where I usually work. I can not really speak to him properly. I'm thinking "what can this be".

14.39 - I just had to hang up. We continued to run. We came down Kjærlighetsstien. When we get down the hill down to the Bolsjevika, we get ready to swim. I'm trying to rip off my sweater, but it gets stuck around the neck. I fall and undress everything but my trousers, which are jeans. I put away everything else, clothes, mobile. The water was cold, so we had to turn around. We go back to Stoltenberget.

14.40 Jaber shows on the map on the canvas where they tried to swim out.

14.40 Engh - How many were you?

14.41 Jaber: - There was a girl there, we were three or four who came running. Very many swam, others stayed there to get an overview. We stay there talking to each other. One girl said, "Call the police". I'm thinking: "The police are here shooting at us". [He says he is persuaded to call] I try 112 a few times, but do not come through. [Tries several times]. So I call 113, there I came through to the ambulance. I explain what is happening, that children and young people are being shot and massacred on Utøya. I asked her to call everyone, police, military, and ask her to send ambulances. She says she can not send an ambulance because the police must be in the area first. I say "I understand very well, but just tell the police right away". I say that I know she has the opportunity, and that it will be easier than it is for me to call. But she said "you have to call the police yourself» .

14.43 Engh: - Do you know what time this is?

14.43 Jaber: - No, I do not know.

14.43 - I tried to explain that we couldn't come through and that we were in danger. She said yes, she'll see what she can do. That was the drop of trying to communicate, so I just hang up and I threw the phone away. While we are there, there is a person coming who has been up at the top, by the football field. [Showing on the map.]

14.44 - He has got an oversight and has seen the area around, and he says "now you have to take off your colorful clothes right away". We take that information, spreads it, take off our colorful clothes. I go up on top to get an overview, as well. I see it is not possible to hide there, as it is completely open. I run down and convey this information. While I do that, we hear the shots coming closer. Many people said: "He's coming, he's coming now". We hear it from here [pointing on the map].

14.45 - Then he who kept looking said he was coming. There were many who jumped into the water and started swimming. I decided to go back instead, and I ran towards the island. It was important for me to get an overview and provide the information further. We had many members there, so it was important for me to get an overview.

14.45 Engh: - Did you feel that you had a responsibility for those who were there?

14.46 Jaber: - Yes, to convey what information I had. We're standing there by the water. Then there are some guys who pick up stones to defend themselves. We were annoyed at them for doing that because we had to be very quiet. I hide over here [pointing on the map down by the water and a cliff] until I hear someone approaching. It is high grass and you can hear it, and someone starts shooting. Then we run. I'm one of three - four which are running and I'm the last one in the row. We run on rocks, we had no shoes and we had been in the water. We run along the water and as I come to Bolsjevika I'm slipping in the mud and the shooting keeps going. We had got the perpetrator's attention. One who ran in front of me, turned to me and said: "If you want to live, Munir: Run!" I managed to run, and was running up the road. [Pointing on the map]. I do not run at Kjærlighetsstien, but another trail. You hear beeps and that the shots are close. The earth next to me spurts up because the shots hit there. One must decide to run until you drop, until you can't run anymore, until it is physically impossible. I was determined on that. But at some point I was very tired.

14.49 Jaber: - I am very tired, but at some point I get a lot of adrenaline in the body. The shooting stops and it is shouted, "It is the police, the police are here to help". We are thinking, "That's not true. Keep running, keep running". We are trying to get an overview of where there can be a possibility to hide. I find a place. [Explains where he is hiding. It was dense with bushes and leaves.] There were lots of nettles there, and I had taken of all the clothes, but thought that I had to do it. I went in and made sure to turn around to push back nettles, so it didn't look like someone had been there, before I lay down on the ground with a lots of twigs. At this point, I have my back against the café building. My body is facing the waterfront.

14.51 Engh: - What do you see from there?

14.51 Jaber: - I see Kjærlighetsstien.

14.51 Engh: - You were standing by the water when you heard the shooting and that the defendant was on his way. Did you see the defendant when you started running?

14.51 Jaber: - No.

14.51 Engh: - So you do not know where he is?

14.51 Jaber: - No.

14.52 Engh: - How many others did you run together with then?

14.52 Jaber: - Along with three others. [Says he does not know who they are.]

14.52 Engh: - When is it that you discover the accused while running?

14.52 Jaber: - I did not discover the accused. But I see shots hit nearby. I hear shots, and I fall.

14.52 Engh: - You said something about that you saw you were being shot at. Was that because you discovered the bullets hit the ground nearby?

14.52 Jaber: - Yes. When I ran, I just looked straight forward where I stepped. But I saw soil splashed up at the side of me.

14.53 Engh: - Where was it?

14.53 Jaber: - It was very close, when I got up and ran from Bolsjevika, the steep path up toward Kjærlighetsstien. There it was.

14.53 Engh: - How do you see that, how do you experience that?

14.53 Jaber: - One sees that it is just splashing up. I can not say with certainty how many meters it was, but I saw that the dirt splashed up.

14.54 Engh: - But you didn't turn around at any time? You did not know where the defendant was then

14.54 Jaber: - No, I was very determined that I would run and not look back.

14.54 Engh asks about when he heard someone say they were the police.

14.54 Jaber: - It was said: "It is the police, it is the police, we'll help".

14.54 - Here I lie down, and I lie on some twigs. So no matter if I had moved a millimeter, I'd have made sound because the twigs would have snapped.

14.55 Engh wonders if he looked at the clock at any time.

14.55 Jaber said that he had thrown away the mobile phone.

14.55 Jaber: - Then I glimpsed a black helicopter between the trees, and I thought that "it is the police, it is the rescue team". The helicopter, it could be anything, but since it was a black helicopter I thought it could be the defense or the police. As I lay there, I heard shots, very many shots here at the water's edge. It was cold and wet, but we just had to keep composure and be absolutely quiet. And when the rain hits the leaves it sounded like heavy steps. It was scary because when you hear the rain hitting the leaves, and it sounds like steps, one becomes very aware. It was cold, I had no clothes on and it was raining. There were mice and frogs that moved beside me. But you have to take it with composure. I noticed that I had managed to break off a leaf, so that it had the bright side up instead of the dark side up.

14.57 - A little further away I could use it so I could look around the corner. That's what I did. This would provide a better overview and you could use it as a mirror. As I sit and stare at this leaf, I hear shots and sirens on the land side. At some point it becomes so cold - along the way I tried to keep warm and tightened my muscles in the body - the teeth begin to chatter. I had to put my tongue between my teeth to avoid making sound. Eventually, the tongue gets sore and starts bleeding. I then hear from behind someone shouting "the police, the police". I hear girls are screaming, and screaming from the café building. When I hear "police" I think I can get out. But I thought the police would sound different because of heavy equipment, so I waited.I was thinking that the police never comes alone, they are always several. Then the scream became completely silent. After being there for a very long time - I did not have a watch, but it felt like a very long time - I find that I do not have any possibility of rescue. There is no opportunity to get out of here alive. I can sit here and wait, or try to get down to the water because I had heard that boats came and picked people up. I came to the conclusion that I could meet someone and be shot. I wait a bit and am reluctant to do so. I hear that motor boats are picking up people from the water. At one point I hear a dialogue between a girl and an English-speaking man on a boat. He says "I do not have any more room, but I will return". She says "please take me with you". It ends with him driving on without her.

15.01 - So there's quiet a while in front of me, until I hear him again. I hear a lot of shots. Suddenly there is a speedboat nearby, which pulls away full throttle from the island.

15.01 Prosecutor Engh is asking if all of this happens while he is sitting at the same place.

15.01 Jaber confirms this.

15.01 Jaber: - I'm thinking. "Is it the police, or is it several accomplices?" I hear shots, there are various sounds from the shots so I'm thinking, "Is this the police against the perpetrators?" But I did not know if the perpetrators had more weapons. I hear shots and the shots are moving further away. I have two choices: I can either run to the water - with the chance of meeting the perpetrators - or sit here and really just wait to be shot. I will certainly not be saved, not after this long time. That was the thought at least. I see a girl sneak across the square in front of the LO - cabins. I run to her. [Showing on the map where she is] I signal that she must be silent. I had not heard him in a while, so I had no overview. We hold hands and choose to run where there weren't established paths.

15.03 Jaber shows where the two of them were running.

15.04 Jaber: - We had to get an overview, because when one does not know anything, and we have seen all of these things, you have to get an overview to know where it is safe to run and where it is not. We run along the forest here, we choose not to take Kjærlighetsstien, we run here [shows on map]. When I run with her, it was just like I saw brief, newly cut grass and open ground in front of me, but when I've been there, in retrospect, there were lots of bushes and growth, it was difficult to get through. But it was different when I was there. We're heading to an area in the woods where there is a cliff down to Kjærlighetsstien. I find a Labor jacket, it is completely red.

15.05 Engh: - Is this a girl you know?

15.05 Jaber: - Yes. Her name is Oda.

15.06 So we come here, where there in a way is a cliff. I find a Labor jacket, a red one. I was frozen all the way during our stay and it was very cold. I see the jacket, and I think I need a little warmth. But I did not get it all around me, because its arms were twisted. We slide down here and starts to run back. We have the way down to Bolsjevika right here [shows on image].

15.06 The screen displays a film of the area where Jaber and the girl ran.

15.07 Jaber: - She takes the road over the place here, and I go down there. [Shows on the photo taken from the water]. I then saw what had happened there. It's the worst. No one deserves to see such a sight. It was very painful and tough to watch. To see so many young people die before you. It was tough and heavy. One matures inside. It is indescribable to see such things. I then see someone floating here [shows on image] and as I got further out towards Stoltenberget I see a girl that has been trying to get away. She lay half on a stone and half in the water. I'm not sure who it was. Then I see another person laying a bit further away. [Shows on image]. He lay on his stomach on a rock. He was shot. As I walk past it was incredibly tough because you believe you will never experience such things. I had to tread carefully past the corpse.

15.10 Engh: - How many dead did you see in total?

15.10 Jaber: - I saw very many. I know that in the interview I said about fifteen. In retrospect, I know that there were eight, but it was hard to watch.

15.10 Engh: - Did you know any of them well?

15.11 Jaber: - [Munir Osman Humed Jaber mentions one girl he recognizes]. It was tough for me to see it. It made quite an impression on me having to see so many dead, while I also knew I had to get away.

15.11 Engh is asking if he had seen any of these people when the shooting took place.

15.12 Jaber: - [Can not remember who the one girl is. Describes that it is difficult to remember each person] When we run down the first time, we were among the first who got there. There were new people coming all the time, and I remember that I saw some of them.

15.13 Engh asks him to continue his explanation.

15.13 Jaber: - At this point I can't remember any shots. We had to get over to the other side. It was reassuring to see others being received at Utvika. The girl was wading out in the water and wanted to start swimming. I'm staying on shore, so she comes back to get me to swim. When wading out, it makes a lot of sound. We were aware we must not do that. I stood on shore to watch out for this. A girl drags me into the water. We wade out calmly. It is very shallow. We noticed how much sound we made, but we just had to do it. At one point I threw myself into the water so I made some sound. I threw myself down a little early and hit a rock. We swam out a bit. When we reach so far out there that it was hard to shoot at us, we started waving and shouting to a helicopter that was above us.

15.16 - So we see that two boats are leaving Utvika and sail on both sides of the island. And we are in the middle. And then we are kind of like, "it can not happen, we have to get them over here". We starts shouting and waving our hands. We do this until they discover us and come over. I remember the ambulance boat that picked us up, there were two policemen in it. But it was hard to get up from the water and into the boat, so they both helped us into the boat. We are driven here to Utvika [shows on the map.] We ask the police "are you real, are you real, are you real?", repeatedly. And they say that they are genuine. Then they are told on the radio that they should rather be driving us to Storøya. They're changing the course. And then I was sure that we would be driven elsewhere, and that we would be killed. So I repeated a few times "just drive us to where all our friends are, you can drop us off there, and you can do whatever you want afterwards".

15.18 - I asked again and got no answer. The third time he waited a bit but said that they didn't have control over the area. That could be correct, but at the same time you are a bit wary. I try to observe the equipment because I noticed that there was a policeman on the island. I observe their police uniform and it looks real. What created a sense of security for me for a moment was that the policeman in front enclosed the holster with the gun. He did so to secure the weapon and it wasn't to be used, which was a good thing. As we come to Storøya I see a police car, the boat "MS Thorbjørn" and we see a police car with two police officers on the land side. [Munir Osman Humed Jaber says he feels a scepticism about what will happen on the land side]. I think they must have stolen the car and brought it there. I was sure that our time had come. But I was very tired, out of energy. I get off the boat and think "now it happens, it happens now". I get off the boat expecting to be shot, but was warmly welcomed. A police officer said that we should go up to the road. We saw lots of ambulances and police there. We were then taken to Utvika. It was very reassuring. I would not come along with a private driver to Sundvolden. I had seen the worst I can see in my life, but have very little confidence in others. I could not just sit down with a strange driver, but I was persuaded. We were some of the first to get there. I met some friends there and it was nice to see them, and I eventually got a hot shower. The work of survey and to get an overview started.

15.22 Prosecutor Engh asks Jaber to point at a picture to show where he ran.

15.22 [Asked by Bejer Engh he explains where he ran at Stoltenberget. He shows this in a picture]

15.22 Engh: - Observations of the defendant. You said he smiled when you saw him through the window, and you said he was very calm. Are there other things that gave you the impression that he was calm, other than that he was walking slowly?

15.23 Jaber: - Nothing more than his satisfied smile and that he was walking calmly. That's what gave that impression.

15.23 Engh: - How have you been doing afterwards?

15.23 Jaber: - There are many hard days, there is much to deal with and process. The loss is very huge, but the cohesion in AUF and in Norway is good. It's nice to get back to the daily work. [He has a full-time job in AUF and will work as deputy soon]

15.24 Defender Vibeke Hein Bæra has some questions.

15.24 Bæra: - There is no doubt that you have given a good explanation of a difficult day. But it is important that the court actors know as much as possible about how Breivik acted that day. At the café building, he was calm, how did he appear here?

15.25 Jaber: - I heard shouting. When I looked through the window, I only saw him, I did not hear him.

15.25 Bæra: - How was his tone of voice then?

15.25 Jaber: - I can not say. But he was shouting. That's what I've taken to me from that place.

15.26 Bæra: - Were there any other outbreaks that weren't specific words?

15.26 Jaber: - No, I did not hear anything.

15.26 Bæra: - No laugher or anything?

15.26 Jaber: - No.

15.26 Bæra: - There was a contact point, a little later.

15.26 Jaber: - Yes, that was when I was hiding up by the smoking corner. I had an overview over this space here [show on map]. Then I heard "Police, police, come out, we're here to help"". I saw two girls who ran out, and I heard some shots , and then it became silent.

15.27 Bæra: - Does that cover the points of contact you had with the defendant?

15.27 Jaber: - Yes.

15.27 Prosecutor Holden: - Did you see who was shouting the last time you heard someone shouting "police, police"?

15.28 Jaber: - No, I had my back turned. I do not know.

15.28 Lawyer: - Was there any more shooting after there was shouting the last time?

15.28 Jaber: - Yes, there was.

15.28 Lawyer: - Was there a lot of shooting?

15.28 Jaber: - No, after a little while it got quiet.

15.29 prosecutor Holden: - The police fired two shots when they came to the Café building to shoot up the doors. It was maybe the police who were present. [He thinks we can assume that the shots Jaber heard in the end were these].

15.29 Larsen: - I'm asking on behalf of someone who has lost their daughter. The place you saw two girls, do you know who it was?

15.29 Witness Osman Humed Munir Jaber says this is unclear to him.

15.30 [Mette Yvonne Larsen is wondering if there is a special girl by a name that he saw, but Munir Osman Humed Jaber is not sure]

15.30 Larsen: - Did you ever talk to the perpetrator?

15.31 Jaber: - No... I did not.

15.31 Jaber is now finished with his testimony.

15.32 Arntzen: - Then you're done here. Thank you for your attendance. The court takes a 15-minute break. We meet again at 15.45 for a short round of requests.

15.45 Anders Behring Breivik is back in court discussing with his defense lawyers Tord Jordet and Odd Ivar Grøn. He simultaneously takes notes on one of his yellow note block.

15.46 This part of the negotiations is allowed to be broadcast. The judges will now consider a request from the press about being allowed to broadcast footage from the event earlier today where a shoe was thrown toward Breivik.

15.49 The court is set. Harald Stanghelle takes the witness stand. He leads the media group that is in contact with the court when situations like this arise.

15.50 [Stanghelle reports that several media companies have applied for it to be allowed to broadcast the episode with the shoe throwing earlier today]

15.51 Stanghelle: - I will not repeat the reasoning the Broadcasting Corporation has provided. There are recordings of parts of what happened. It happened in open court, which has dominated the news today. We are free to report, interpret and comment on what happened. What we are not free to do, is to show what happened. [Stanghelle says that this will give a better overall picture of what happened.] It is unnecessary to remind the court that this has dominated the news today. We are free to refer to what happened. We can render and interpret what happened.

15.53 Stanghelle: - It is important to emphasize that individuals will be anonymized, and faces censored. What happened is of great public interest. We therefore ask for an exemption for the general broadcasting association. I have great respect for the court's workload. I will still be so bold to ask for a ruling on this now today.

15.54 Judge Arntzen: - Can you see the person who had the outbreak, but censor the face? What about the people around him?

15.54 Stanghelle: - It is possible to blur the audience who sat near him. Technically it is possible.

15.54 Defender Geir Lippestad starts.

15.54 Lippestad: - We have great appreciation for the press' desire to broadcast the episode. However, two considerations are important to not allow that. One consideration is the courtroom's dignity. We have been through a grueling presentation of evidence. Dignity is shown for the families and survivors. To view this incident will give a distorted picture of how the presentation of evidence is made. The second is for us the objective of our work and our rule of law. We never comment on any scene that targets us. The purpose was not to throw at one of the defenders, but that was what happened. That it is being applauded and the media writes that some feel this as liberating, we consider that a security risk. We regard it as unfortunate that it is being broadcast and affects one of the defenders .

15.57 Lippestad: - I am aware that the opinion was not to hit one of the defenders, but now it was what happened.

15.57 Arntzen: - Lippestad, is it the contagion effect you fear?

15.57 Lippestad: - Yes, definitely. We are experiencing mostly positive feedback, but also some unfortunate episodes. Broadcasting such an unfortunate episode can affect our working conditions. It has not reached the public that it was a defender who was hit. It will if it is shown on TV. Thank you.

15.58 Prosecutor Holden: - Honourable Court. We have a great understanding of the request from the press, but for the prosecutors it is also a crucial point what was advocated by the defense in regard to their employment situation. Therefore, we request that it will not be broadcast.

15.59 Lawyer Siv Hallgren: - We have divided this into two. We have been in contact with the relatives' Aid lawyer Arvid Sjødin. He says that the client doesn't mind that the event will be shown on TV. On the contrary, he wants it.

16.00 This position is supported by the counsel.

16.00 Elgesem: - We have gotten different views, and some have opposed the license to broadcast. We will say a little about the law around it, and the assessment made. [Elgesem goes through the laws relating thereto, and ends with that they fundamentally do not mind broadcasting, but there are some concerns that hamper it.]

16.01 Elgesem: - What we believe justifies a restrictive stance, is the considerations of the main proceedings.

16.01 Larsen: - Honourable court. We have also received specific requests from the people around the guy who threw the shoe. Among others, there were sitting two girls in that area. They were very afraid and felt that they relived unpredictability. They do not believe it will be possible to "blur" it so that they won't be recognized. We dare not trust that it can be "censored". They have been able to sit here today and feel secure that nothing shall be shown on TV. Our clients find it offensive that you should publish such an incident because it happened at the time during an autopsy report. We are also afraid of the contagion effect. There is something about this case that makes you feel it should not be published. We do not need to watch as the situation has been taken care of. We ask for it to be taken consideration for those who sat nearby.

16.03 Judge Arntzen: - Stanghelle, you wanted to make an additional comment?

16.03 Stanghelle wants an additional comment.

16.04 Stanghelle: - I will not argue against the court's actors, but I'll take up two things. When Lippestad says that it isn't public knowledge that the defender was hit by the shoe, this is wrong. It is not so. It has been out in public. The applicant has also given interviews about the case. [Further, Stanghelle says that the episode will dominate the media today anyway.]

16.05 The court withdraws.

16.06 Arntzen: - We will provide a written ruling, which means that everyone here can be discharged.

16.07 The court is therefore adjourned for today.