Ottie Roberts, an original member of the Library Board, was named the first librarian upon the opening of the library. The interior of the "Carnegie Library", as it came to be known by staff and patrons, is shown above. When the library opened, there were some 400 volumes in its collection, but by the 1930's the collection numbered over 8,0003. As the collection continued to grow throughout the mid-twentieth century, it became clear to the Library Board that the Carnegie Libary was too small and a new building was needed2.
A receipt for Ottie Roberts' Library Certificate from 1942 is shown at left. Roberts served as librarian until her death in 19442.