Leadership Asheville Board of Directors
Board Member Position Description
Responsibilities and Expectations of Board Members:
· Regularly attend Board meetings and important related meetings
· Serve and participate actively on a committee
· Stay informed about Board/committee matters, prepare well for meetings, and review and comment on minutes and reports
· Participate in fund raising for the organization
· Actively participate in the Board’s annual evaluation and planning efforts
· Understand oversight responsibilities of the Board in accordance with the by-laws
· Act in accordance with the charter, by-laws and other governing instruments
· Attend Leadership Asheville organizational functions and serve as an ambassador by attending other community activities
· Commit to an personal financial contribution to the organization annually
· Be trusting and trustworthy
· Be civil, collegial and respectful of others, building a working relationship that contributes to consensus
· Keep current on issues involving the organization
· Honor core values and mission by personal example
Board Committee Chair Position DescriptionIn addition to duties of a general board member, committee chairs will handle the following primary responsibilities:
Determine the size of the committee and recruit committee members.
· Set the committee’s agenda based upon the input of other committee members and the board.
Determine annual goals and objectives for the committee within the expectations set by the board.
Determine which agenda items can be decided upon within the committee and which agenda items require the input of the board.
Present pertinent information about committee progress to the board in written reports, to be submitted to the board chair no later than one week prior to the board meeting date.
Work in collaboration with other appointed board committees.
Handle or delegate all administrative tasks associated with the effective coordination of the committee. These tasks include but are not limited to:
Communicating consistently with committee members (at least once a month)
Securing space for committee meetings
Reminding committee members about meeting times and location
Taking meeting minutes
Sending committee meeting minutes to the board secretary no later than one week after the committee meeting and before the next board meeting
Board Chair Position DescriptionIs a partner with the Chief Executive in achieving the organization’s mission.
Provides leadership to the Board of Directors, who set policy and to whom the Chief Executive is accountable.
Ensures good Board practices including the effectiveness of meetings and adherence to bylaws and Board rules.
Chairs meetings of the Board after developing the agenda with the Chief Executive.
Encourages Board’s role in strategic planning.
Appoints the chairpersons of committees, in consultation with other Board members.
Serves ex officio as a member of committees and attends their meetings when invited.
Discusses issues confronting the organization, or issues concerning the Board, with the Chief Executive,
Helps guide and mediate Board actions with respect to organizational priorities and governance concerns.
Monitors financial planning, financial reports and fundraising activities.
Performs other responsibilities assigned by the Board.
Board Vice Chair Position DescriptionThis position is typically successor to the Chair position.
Performs Chair responsibilities when the Chair cannot be available.
Reports to the Board Chair, and works closely with the Chair and other staff.
Participates closely with the Chair to develop and implement officer transition plans.
Performs other responsibilities as assigned by the Board.
Board Secretary Position DescriptionResponsible for documenting the work of the Board.
Maintains records of the Board and ensure effective management of organization’s records.
Manages minutes of Board meetings.
Ensures minutes are distributed to members shortly after each meeting.
Is sufficiently familiar with legal documents (articles, by-laws, IRS letters, etc.) to note applicability during meetings.
Board Treasurer Position DescriptionManages finances of the organization.
Administrates fiscal matters of the organization.
Provides annual budget to the Board for members’ approval.
Ensures development and Board review of financial policies and procedures.
Treasurer’s role does not add to or reduce the accountability of the Chief Executive for the financial management of the organization including its adherence to budget.