Home - please see our new & updated site at: http://bornsleeping.wordpress.com
A support group for South African parents bereaved by miscarriage, stillbirth or neo-natal death.
Some of us are unlucky enough to lose a child before we've had the chance to get to know them - either through miscarriage, stillbirth or neo-natal death. If you are reading this page, then the likelihood is that your world has fallen apart, the carpet has been ripped from under your feet, and your life has been turned upside-down and inside-out by the loss of your precious baby. We are so sorry that you are here, but know that you are very welcome and we greet you with arms open wide, shoulders ready to be cried upon, and hearts ready to weep with you.
While charities in other countries do fantastic work in supporting parents and family members bereaved in this tragic way, as yet, in SA, there is very little in the way of this sort of specialised grief and bereavement support. While we are not (nor do we claim to be) professional counsellors, we hope to surround you with the love, support and information you need at this time. We want to walk alongside you as you journey through your grief because we have walked this terrible road before you, and we know how lonely it can be.
Our vision is to:
- establish face-to-face, parent-led support groups across South Africa that will provide a safe and supportive environment in which bereaved parents can explore their grief, share their memories, and discover hope that they can rebuild their lives
- maintain an online point of contact and support (at the moment that is on Facebook, or via email)
- offer telephonic support (at the moment that is via Skype)
- assist private hospitals and the Health Department in writing policies regarding the handling of infant bereavements
- publicise the plight of bereaved parents & family members
- assist in the training of medical maternity staff
- set up specialised hospices for those who know in advance that their baby is at high risk of death
We hope that the information provided in these pages will be of use to you.
Please feel free to contact us - we would love to hear from you.
Nicole and Graeme