Some of us are unlucky enough to lose
a child before we've had the chance to get to know them - either
through miscarriage, stillbirth or neo-natal death. If you are reading
this page, then the likelihood is that your world has fallen apart, the
carpet has been ripped from under your feet, and your life has been
turned upside-down and inside-out by the loss of your precious baby. We
are so sorry that you are here, but know that you are very welcome and
we greet you with arms open wide, shoulders ready to be cried upon, and
hearts ready to weep with you.
While charities in other
countries do fantastic work in supporting parents and family members
bereaved in this tragic way, as yet, in SA, there is very little in the
way of this sort of specialised grief and bereavement support. While we
are not (nor do we claim to be) professional counsellors, we hope
to surround you with the love, support and information you need at this
time. We want to walk alongside you as you journey through your grief
because we have walked this terrible road before you, and we know how
lonely it can be.
Our vision is to:
- establish face-to-face, parent-led support groups across South
Africa that will provide a safe and supportive environment in which
bereaved parents can explore their grief, share their memories, and
discover hope that they can rebuild their lives
- maintain an online point of contact and support (at the moment that is on Facebook, or via email)
- offer telephonic support (at the moment that is via Skype)
- assist private hospitals and the Health Department in writing policies regarding the handling of infant bereavements
- publicise the plight of bereaved parents & family members
- assist in the training of medical maternity staff
- set up specialised hospices for those who know in advance that their baby is at high risk of death
We hope that the information provided in these pages will be of use to you.
Please feel free to contact us - we would love to hear from you.
Nicole and Graeme