Ingredients (this made 5 small tarts)
250g all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
170g very cold unsalted butter cut into small cubes
1 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
80ml ice water
4-6 stalks rhubarb, chopped into medium sized chunks.
1 cup small strawberries, cut in half or quartered
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
a pastry blender or your hands (my choice), cut the butter into flour
until the crumbs are the size of peas. Transfer this to a large bowl
and make a well in the center of the crumb.
- In another small bowl, beat together the egg, vinegar and water. Add the well in the flour mixture.
two forks, toss the flour mixture into the egg mixture until it forms a
dough. I finished this up with my hands. Don't overwork the dough,
you want it to just come together.
- Form dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Cool for at least 30 minutes in refrigerator.
- When you are ready to roll out the dough, toss together the fruit, sugar and flour. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove dough and portion into how many tarts you want - 5/6 small tarts, 2 medium tarts or 1 large tart.
out tart on a floured board with a floured rolling pin. The dough
should get 1/8 inch thick. Roll it into a circle shaped.
- Mound the fruit in the center of each circle and fold over the fruit, about 1-2 inches of the fruit should be covered by dough.
the tarts on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 25 - 35
minutes until the pastry is lightly browned and the fruit bubbles.