11 ounce of shortbread cookie crumbs
1 tablespoon sugar
zest of two oranges
4 tablespoons melted butter
3 8 ounce packages of cream cheese, at room temperature
1 and 1/4 cup of sour cream
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup key lime or regular lime juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 and 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 cup + 2 tbs Meyer lemon juice
3 whole eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
3 tbs heavy cream
2 tbs unsalted butter, cut up into little pieces
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 inch spring form pan.
- Start with crust: mix together the shortbread crumbs, sugar and zest in a medium bowl. Add the melted butter and stir until the crumbs are moistened by the butter.
- Pour the crumbs into the springform pan and pat the crust into the pan using the bottom of a cup to press the crust into place and up the sides.
- Refrigerate the crust.
- To make the cake, beat the cream cheese on medium speed in a stand mixture until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sour cream and beat until combined, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the sugar and beat until fully combined, another two minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until eggs are combined.
- Add the lime juice and beat for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- Take the crust out of the fridge and pour in the cheesecake filling.
- Place the cake pan on a cookie sheet and bake until the edges are set and the middle jiggles, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack for 2 hours, and the chill in refrigerator.
- To make the curd (start while the cake is baking): whisk together the sugar and cornstarch in a sauce pan. Then slowly whisk in the juice. Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks and cream.
- Put the pan over medium low heat and stir constantly which a rubber spatula until the mixture thickens, right before the mixture boils. [This will happen in an instant, one minute the mixture is thin and then bang! it thickens right up.]
- Push the mixture through a fine mesh sieve.
- Cover the curd with plastic wrap so that the plastic actually touches the curd and chill for a couple of hours.
- One the cake has chilled for 2 hours on the rack, spread the chilled curd on top, then chill the whole finished product overnight before serving.