Rube Goldberg Project
By Kenny vanderveen
The purpose of this apparatus is to light a candle. The result of this project would end up lighting a match which lights a candle.
Description of model
The simple machine that we made involves a set of stairs that holds dominoes, a ramp with a marble, a magnet and a fish hook connected, a wooden lever weighted down with a match on the tip of the lever, and a vertical piece of wood with match flint and a candle attached.
There are several different types of energy transformations taking place in the machine
-Stairs of dominoes
-Marble down ramp
- Swinging lever
-Fish hook attached to magnet
-lever held down by fish hook
-match being lit by match flint
-candle being lit by match
1. Building the stairs to the perfect distance upward so that dominos can go up them
2. Having the rotating arm nailed in the right spot so that it won’t move, or be too tight
3. Connecting the fish hook to the magnetic forest field of the magnet
4. Putting the match in the lever the perfect amount so it won’t break or miss the match paper.
1. Dominoes were used to measure the correct distance for each gap in order to knock each domino down.
2. The vertical shaft that the lever was attached too was sanded down and the nail was made tighter on the lever.
3. Tests were completed to find the most magnetic part of the magnet.
4. A hole was drilled the correct distance so the match would be the correct length each time.
Discussion of results
After many long days and nights our project was a success in the classroom. As the first group to go we were nervous, but on our first try we nailed it. The model we created was a simple machine that ultimately lit a candle. The steps were
1. Dominoes go up a flight of home made stairs,
2. Dominoes hit a ball,
3. Ball rolls down a tube,
4. Ball hit a fish hook that was connected to a magnet,
5. Ball breaks the force, rotating lever swings up,
6. Match at the end of the lever strikes match paper,
7. Lit match lights the candle.
-The reliability of the machine is great now that we perfected all the mistakes and little bumps in the road. It's also great because as a group we all have to set up a part in which we know how to do well. We all know the correct measurements for what job we have to do.
-Some malfunctions can take place over time on the machine that could cause it to lose energy.
1. Heat can be lost if the wrong matches are used and the match is not measured correctly.
2. The lever may become loose ultimately not allowing the match to strike.
Compiling this project took time, effort, and even a little luck. Some of the hardships or problems that we encountered were making the stairs for the dominoes exactly right so it would hit the next domino. Another difficulty we faced was putting the nail in the dowel just enough so that it would not hit the wood or miss the lighting strip. The easiest parts of this project had to do with the magnet, pipe, bearing, and candle. All of those things had success on the first try, so we were extremely fortunate in that regard. A change that I think should be made is just having some examples, next year there will be some but it hurt not having an example to draw from. This project was fun, but extremely difficult because there were so many steps that had to happen. The best part of this assignment was seeing the success that hard-work made and all of the steps working correctly. This project was fun and should definitely happen next year.