There are two different sets of mandatory equipment that must be carried, depending on the prevailing conditions on the day.
Mandatory gear will be checked at registration. Bring both sets of gear to be checked. Same kit for 35km and 64km.
INADEQUATE GEAR = NO START = NO EXCEPTIONS
DO NOT COME TO GEAR CHECK WITHOUT BOTH SETS OF GEAR.
GEAR CHECK IS NOT A TIME FOR HAGGLING, THE MANDATORY GEAR IS FOR YOUR SAFETY - PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE APPROPRIATE GEAR.
The following equipment must be carried if the weather is fine:
- Waterproof jacket with hood (must be waterproof and not just water resistant. ie Gortex, Event or similar, look for sealed or taped seams)
- Long sleeve thermal top, polypro or merino (compression top not adequate; technical running top not adequate; if you don't know what constitutes thermal find out; no short-sleeves with arm warmers)
- Map and course diagrams in a waterproof bag (can be zip-lock): Spatial Vision's Bogong Alpine Area Outdoor Recreation Guide 1:50,000 Scale available here: map An alternative map is now available and comes made from waterproof plasticised paper from Rooftop maps Bright - Dartmouth Adventure Map. This map has a great detailed version of the course. The line diagrams can be downloaded from "Course Description-Diagrams" in the sidebar. You need a copy of the course notes and diagrams with you.
- Compass-NOT an electronic one such as on an iphone, Garmin or Ambit. Must be manual with swinging needle that can be read easily
- Whistle (can be in pack strap)
- Compression Bandage (for snake bite) must be compression (heavy weight crepe) and not just loose crepe bandage. MUST BE 10cm WIDE and look like this:
- Space blanket or bag
- 1000 kilojoules of emergency food (in addition to any food expected to be consumed during the run)
- Capacity to carry at least 1 litre of water (i.e. bladder or bottles)
- Mobile phone (telstra Next G has best cover and is recommended)
The following equipment must be carried if weather is bad, but not so bad that the event is cancelled (this will be determined at the race briefing on the Saturday night before the race so be sure to still bring it with you):
All items in the light kit plus the following:
- Waterproof overpants
- Thermal long johns (compression tights do not count, must be polypropolene, merino or similar)
- Warm beanie or buff
- Gloves (can be lightweight running gloves)
- Extra 3000 kilojoules emergency food (imagine being stuck overnight in a hut with no food)
- Cigarette lighter or waterproof matches (for use in huts if needed)
- (PLB - totally optional and for absolute emergency use only)
IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS ABOUT YOUR GEAR THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE IT WON'T PASS THE CHECK. WITHOUT THE APPROPRIATE GEAR YOU CANNOT START THE RACE. BRING SPARES, OR CHECK BEFORE LEAVING FOR THE RACE. LIMITED SUPPLIES AVAILABLE AT MT BEAUTY ONLY.