Lemon Meringue Pie Serves 8 to 10
Recipe by: BlueRibbonKitchen.blogspt.com, Karri Perry
Combine all dry ingredients is a food processor, pulse 5 seconds. Add chilled butter and Crisco while processor is running, until combined (30 seconds). Slowly pour in the water/vodka mix until dough forms a moist ball. All the liquid may not be needed. Remove dough, wrap dough with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour, or up to 3 days.
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch, and use to line a 9-inch pie plate. Crimp the edges decoratively. Chill until firm. Prick the bottom of the shell with a fork, line with parchment paper. Weight the shell with pie weights or dried beans, and bake until the edges begin to brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove paper and weights; continue baking until golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes more. Let cool.
2. To make filling, combine cornstarch, cake flour, salt, and sugar in a medium nonreactive saucepan. Add 1 ¾ cups cold water. On medium heat bring the mixture to a boil, whisking constantly, about 4 minutes, the mixture will begin to thicken.
3. Remove the pan from heat. Temper egg yolks by beating a small amount of hot mixture into the yolks before adding them to pan. Add tempered egg yolks to the saucepan and cook over low heat for 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Whisk in the lemon juice and zest. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes more, be sure not to overcook the lemon/egg mixture.
4. Remove from the heat. Add the butter one piece at a time, whisk each piece until incorporated. Pour the mixture into a large bowl, and let cool for 30 minutes.
5. Pour the warm filling into the cooled shell and refrigerate, cover with plastic wrap until firm, about 1 hour.
6. For the Meringue, heat oven to 400 degrees. In a saucepan combine sugar and water, bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 4 minutes and remove sugar syrup from heat. Combine egg whites beat until frothy (about 1 minute) then add the cream of tartar, pinch of salt and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Carefully, pour hot sugar syrup down the side of the bowl into the egg white mixture while beating egg whites on low. Once sugar syrup in incorporated, continue to beat egg whites on medium high for 5-8 minutes while the egg whites cool and become shiny and glossy.
7. Cover pie to the edges with the meringue, being sure to seal the edges with the meringue. Using the back of a spoon, create whimsical peaks all over meringue.
8. Bake pie on middle rack of oven until meringue peaks are light brown, about 4-6 minutes, watching constantly. Chill pie 4-6 hours...up to overnight and serve.