- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 1/2 C water
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 1 C chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and pepper, sautéing until soft.
- Add chili powder and cumin, stirring constantly. sweet potato and stir frequently.
- Add sweet potato and mix well. Add water and bring to a simmer. Cover, and continue to simmer until sweet potato is soft.
- Add beans, tomatoes and lime juice; increase heat to high and return to a simmer, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer until reduced. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Before serving, garnish with fresh cilantro.