Slightly adapted from Closet Cooking
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Melt 1 TBSP butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender.
3. Add garlic and thyme, and sauté until fragrant.
4. Add the mushrooms and sauté until they turn brown and caramelize. This should take about 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, season both sides of the filet with salt and pepper. Wrap the bacon around each filet, securing with a toothpick, if necessary. On both sides in the pan until slightly caramelized.
6. Transfer the pan to oven, and cook according thickness and desired doneness.
7. DO NOT do what I did and overcook your deliciously tender filet. :(
8. Once the filet is cooked to desired doneness, allow to rest for about 5 minutes.
9. Deglaze the pan you used for the filet by adding your wine. Transfer the wine to the other pan with the mushrooms and deglaze it. Double deglazing!
10. Add 1 TBSP butter and simmer until sauce is reduced by half.
11. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Serve mushrooms over the filet.