Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
Yields 9-12 generous brownies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, pecans, 1/3 C evaporated milk, and butter. Stir together until totally combined. Mixture will be thick.
3. Press half the mixture into a greased 9 x 9 inch square baking pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and set aside.
4. In a double boiler, melt caramels with additional 1/2 C evaporated milk. Stir until smooth. Pour over brownie base. Sprinkle chocolate chips as evenly as you can over the caramel.
5. Take remaining dough and use your hands to press it into a large square about the size of the pan. (It’s ok if it’s smaller, or it’s not a perfect square). Set it on top of the caramel and chocolate chip layer.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature.
7. Cover and refrigerate for several hours, preferably overnight. Cut into either nine or twelve helpings, and carefully remove from the pan.