Adapted from Paula Deen
Prep Time: 35 min, Total Time: 1 hour
For the cake
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 C cake flour
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 oz red food coloring
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 2 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp vinegar
For the filling
For the freshly whipped cream
- 3 C heavy cream
- ½ C confectionary sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, butter and
sugar until creamy. Add cocoa and food coloring. Mix until combined.
- In another mixing bowl, sift together Add
- In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar
and add to batter. Pour batter into prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until done. Allow
cakes to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare instant pudding according to
the package directions using 4 cups milk. Allow pudding to set up in the
refrigerator for 10 minutes. Using a spatula, gently fold in whipped
- To assemble the trifle, cut the red velvet cake
into 1 inch cubes. Place an even layer of cubed cake in the bottom of a trifle
bowl. Top with 1/3 of the pudding mixture. Repeat the layer process so that the
final layer is pudding. Chill until ready to serve.