- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 C flour
- 1 C 2% milk
- 1 C heavy cream
- 3-4 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large carrot, grated or julienned
- 4 C broccoli florets
- 8 oz. Velveeta Cheese or Cheddar, cubed into small pieces
- salt and pepper
- bread boules, for serving (optional)
- Melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Set aside.
- In a pot over medium heat, whisk flour, milk, and cream until smooth. (The roux may appear lumpy, but it’s fine). Add at least 3 cups of chicken stock, whisking all the time, until the roux thins out. Add nutmeg and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Let simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Add onions, broccoli and carrot to the broth mixture and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add cheese to the soup, and whisk until melted. If the soup is too thick, add the additional cup of stock.
- To prepare bread boules, use a sharp knife to slice the top off, cut a circle into the loaf. Hollow the bread out with your fingers. Pour soup into boule and serve.