Recipe from What's For Lunch, Honey?
300g all-purpose flour
300g rhubarb, cut into approx. 1.5 com thick pieces
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground ginger powder
140g + extra butter, softened
100g Muscovado sugar
250g maple syrup
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Pre-heat oven to 160-180 degrees C. Butter a 20 cm square springform pan and
line with baking paper.
- Sift flour, baking powder and spices into a bowl. In the food processor,
beat together the 140g butter and sugar until fluffy and light. Pour in the
maple syrup and beat for a further minute or two.
- Bring water to a boil in a kettle. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in 200
ml of boiling water, then gradually pour into the spout of the food processor.
- Add the flour-spice mixture into the food processor and pulse a few times
until just incorporated. Pour in the eggs and mix briefly.
- Pour the cake batter into a bowl, then fold in the rhubarb using a
- Pour the batter into the prepared springform and bake for 50-60 minutes or
when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. The cake
should feel firm and when press it should spring back.
- Cool cake in the form for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Unlike other spice cakes, this one should be eaten within 3-4. Due to the
rhubarb it won’t keep fresh much longer.