Laura & Alf Adams

Laura Adams (nee Blight) was born October 31, 1909 on the family farm at Oakville.  She was the youngest child and was ‘Daddy’s little girl’.  She always enjoyed the skating parties on the La Salle River with neighborhood friends.  This was followed by cups of hot chocolate at the house.  She was a fun-loving girl.

After Laura graduated from Oakville High School, she started her nursing course in 1928 in Portage la Prairie at the Portage General Hospital.  She graduated on May 12, 1931.

Laura met Alf Adams in 1932 when nursing him after he had an appendix operation. They were married on October 6, 1934 and moved to a farm northwest of Portage.  She did part-time nursing for awhile. Laura and Alf had four children:  Jack, Janet, Lois & Gerald.

Laura worked hard on the farm. She always helped with the milking.  Once they got the milking machines, she also washed up the machines.  She did this right up until she was in her seventies.

Gardening was a big part of her life.  She always canned fruit and vegetables for the winter.  Before electricity came to their district, she would also can chickens and beef.  Before they had home freezers, she would be up early in the morning to get the vegetables picked and the children would help get them ready for freezing.  They had to be ready before 5 pm so they could drive into Portage to the Locker Plant that closed at 6 pm.  Here the food was frozen and stored until needed.  On the way home, they always stopped for an ice cream cone which was a real treat. 

Many hours were spent in her large flower garden.  She loved to give a bouquet to friends and family when they dropped in.

Wilfred was always Laura’s favorite brother.  Many Sundays, the two families would go back and forth.  In the late 1940’s, the Adams and the Wilfred Blights bought a cottage at Delta.  Many Sundays in the summer were spent at Delta.  Laura always liked to sit in the water at Delta as the water helped heal the ulcers on her legs.

Laura was a very kind person and a good friend to all the neighbors.  If a hobo came off the railway track begging for food, she would set a chair outside for them to sit on and then give them a bowl of porridge or sandwich.  If anyone dropped in, she always had the tea pot on ready for tea.

Laura raised chickens and sold eggs.  She had a jar where the egg money was kept.  When someone had a birthday, she would always go to her jar.  Laura always had large amounts of money with her.  She would have it wrapped in a white handkerchief and pinned to her bra for safe keeping.

When Laura and Alf went to Winnipeg, she would always make a lunch – hot water, tea bags, sandwiches and cake or cookies.  She was very thrifty and would not go to a restaurant.

Laura still had time for herself.  She took a sewing course so she could make Alf a suit and all his shirts.  She baked for the fairs, taught 4-H sewing, and to fill her spare time, she would either crochet or knit.  Her crochet hook and cotton were often found in the bathroom where she would crochet on her visits there!

Laura enjoyed her family.  Family was important.  She looked forward to visits from her nieces and nephews who would stop to see her and to have a cup of tea.

Alf passed away July 28, 1991 from a fatal train accident.  A year later, Laura’s hip broke and she spent the rest of her days in the hospital and later in Douglas Campbell Lodge where she passed away on May 15, 1994.  She was sadly missed by her family and all her relatives.

/Janet Breedon (nee Adams)