Acid Terror Attacks

Title: African Immigrant Attacked With Acid
March 27, 2012

Abstract: A man who threw acid at an immigrant from Cameroon told her she had "dark skin" and he would lighten it, police in Manchester, England, said Monday.

The woman escaped the attack Thursday without major injuries, The Guardian reported.

She told police she was pushing her baby in a stroller through an underpass in Salford, Greater Manchester, when the man came up from behind, made sexual and racist remarks and then threw a corrosive liquid at her back and chest, The Sun said.

"You've got dark skin -- I can do something about that," he was quoted as saying.

Passersby summoned help and she was treated for burns.

Police released a sketch of the suspect based on the woman's description, the Guardian said.

"She received nasty burns to the chest and back but fortunately the injuries were not as bad as they could have been, and her baby was thankfully unhurt. She has been very brave and was able to give us a very good description of her attacker" (UPI, 2012).

Title: Police: Two Children Killed In Afghanistan Acid Attack
Date: March 31, 2012
Source: CNN

Abstract:  Two children have been killed in an acid attack in Afghanistan's eastern Ghazni province, the provincial police chief said Saturday.

The children died after acid was thrown on their faces and into their mouths, police chief Zrawar Zahid said.

Their bodies were brought to Ghazni hospital by the Afghan National Army Friday, after villagers raised the alert, he said.

The bodies were found in Nani village, in Ghazni province's Andar district, Zahid said.

Police do not know if the children are from Ghazni or who their families are, he said (CNN, 2012).

Title: Boy And Girl Killed In Afghanistan Acid Attack ‘Over Friendship’
Date: March 31, 2012
Al Arabiya News

Abstract: A 12-year-old girl and a 15-year-old boy have been killed in an acid attack in Afghanistan, an official said Saturday, with witnesses claiming it was because of their friendship in what is an ultra-conservative country.

The bodies were discovered on Friday in wasteland in the Esfandi area of Ghazni province in south central Afghanistan, provincial police chief Zorawar Zahid told AFP.

“Their bodies and faces were burnt by acid,” he said.

The police chief said officers were investigating the motive for the attack, but witnesses who found the bodies told AFP the two were probably killed because of their friendship.

No one has claimed the bodies, which are still in Ghazni hospital, police said.

The attack is the latest incident to highlight the dangers still faced by many young men and women in Afghanistan 10 years after a U.S.-led invasion ousted the Taliban, notorious for their oppressive policies against women and conservative attitude towards relationships.

On December last year, a 17-year-old Afghan girl and her family were sprayed with acid, apparently after rejecting a marriage proposal. The girl, Mumtaz, was seriously injured when several masked gunmen broke into her home in the northern city of Kunduz and sprayed acid in her face
(Al Arabiya News, 2012)

Title: Sulfuric Acid Thrown Into Face Of Woman In San Diego; Attack May Have Been Random
Date: September 22, 2012
NBC News

Abstract:  A man allegedly threw sulfuric acid on a woman who was walking into a Golden Hill laundromat just before 6 a.m. Saturday, police confirmed.

The assault happened at 1015 25th St. The suspect fled the scene by car.

The woman was taken to a hospital and treated for second-degree burns on her face, arms and back. Officials said the victim was injured pretty badly.

She described the suspect's vehicle to police as an older model, dark blue BMW. She told police she did not know the suspect.

About 20 minutes later, police arrested a 55-year-old man in a dark blue BMW who was causing a disturbance nearby at a Shell Gas Station at 2484 F Street.

The woman positively identified the man at the gas station as the same man who threw the caustic chemicals at her in front of the laundromat. Police said the suspect’s name is Arturo Jose Reyes.

Hazardous Materials officials later identified the chemical substance thrown at the victim as sulfuric acid, police said. Hazmat crews decontaminated the scene at 25th Street following the attack.

Reyes was taken into custody and booked into San Diego Central Jail. He's being charged with assault with a caustic chemical and aggravated mayhem.

According to police, when a person is guilty of aggravated mayhem he or she intentionally causes permanent disability or disfigurement of another person, manifesting extreme indifference to the physical or psychological well-being of another person.

Reyes could face life in prison with the possibility of parole if he’s found guilty.

Police said the motive for the assault is under investigation.

The name of the victim was not immediately released.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, if sulfuric acid makes contact with the skin or eyes it can lead to severe redness, pain, blisters and serious, deep skin burns. If the chemical is inhaled or ingested upon contact, it can also cause shortness of breath, shock or collapse (NBC News, 2012).

Title: Woman Loses Vision In Acid Attack
October 7, 2012

A 37-year-old woman lost her vision after her "paramour" threw acid on her face when she refused to continue maintaining relations with him, police said today.

The accused identified as P Rama Rao flung acid on the woman, who is the mother of three children, at Vankailapadu village in Prakasam district last night, they said.

Rao and the woman, who lost her husband some time back, were allegedly having an "illicit" affair for the past several years. However, she recently refused to continue the relationship, which angered him.

The woman received burn injuries on her face, stomach and legs, a police officer said, adding that she has lost her eyesight in the incident.

A case has been registered and efforts are being made to trace the accused (NDTV, 2012).

Title: Kitten Burned By Acid Walks On Bandages
October 10, 2012
NBC San Diego

A three-month-old tabby kitten who was burned by caustic chemicals earlier this month is recovering slowly but surely, animal care officials said Wednesday.

Phoenix the kitten was burned by caustic chemicals and left at a Los Angeles shelter, according to a spokesperson with the Helen Woodward Animal Center, where Phoenix is being cared for.

He was transferred to the Helen Woodward Animal Center in San Diego with swollen front paws and a damaged tail, face and ears.

His tail was amputated and he was struggling to walk in his front-feet bandages when NBC 7 first learned of his arrival to the San Diego shelter.

Now, Phoenix is still undergoing medical treatment for his burns and has even managed to walk on his mitten-like bandages (see video below). His paws are still severely damaged, though.

“His nose and chin are healing well," said Stephanie Oba with the center. "His ears are healing, but slowly. His paws have improved a little."

Oba said Phoenix has also developed an endearing habit from staff at the center.

"We discovered that he really loves chin rubs,” he said.

Staff at the center said they named him Phoenix because he "rose from the ashes" and had a resilient and warm spirit.

The center does not know whether the chemicals were purposely poured on the kitten or not.

Veterinarians say Phoenix has a long path to recovery but is thriving under their care and will be closely monitored.

He'll be available for adoption in about three weeks. Adoption information can be found on the center's website.

Here's a video taken by staff at the center on Wednesday of Phoenix walking (NBC San Diego, 2012).

Title: Woman Injured In Acid Attack
October 10, 2012
IBN Live

A 38-year-old woman, Vankayalapati Prameela, sustained critical burns after one Palaparthi Rama Rao threw acid on her at Vankayalapadu of Inkollu mandal in Prakasam district on Saturday night. Her condition is said to be critical.

According to the police , Prameela, a native of Rachapudi village in Korsipadu mandal, got married to V Isreal 20 years ago. But her husband died 11 years ago. She has three children, including a girl. She shifted to Rachapudi after her husband’s death, where she reportedly developed an illicit relationship with Rama Rao six years ago. She continued the affair even after returning to Vankayalapadu.

Rama Rao visited Prameela on Saturday night and they got into a quarrel when he threw acid on her face, stomach and hands. While Rama Rao escaped from the scene. Prameela was shifted to Chirala area hospital by her son Maria Das (IBN Live, 2012).

Title: Wife Pours Acid On Sleeping Husband
October 10, 2012
IOL News

A woman was arrested for allegedly attempting to kill her husband with acid in KwaMashu, north of Durban, KwaZulu-Natal police said on Wednesday.

Captain Thulani Zwane said the 47-year-old woman was arrested on Tuesday.

“The suspect had a fight with her husband on Friday because she suspected he was cheating on her.”

The woman poured acid on her 42-year-old husband while he was sleeping on the couch. The man was found in the road by his 14-year-old son after he had tried to run away from his wife.

The man's son called an ambulance. The man was taken to hospital, where he was in a critical condition, Zwane said (IOL News, 2012).

Title: Sulphuric Acid Thrown In Student's Face In University Of New South Wales Lab Fight: Police
October 12, 2012
SMH News

A university student is in an induced coma after a classmate allegedly threw acid in his face and attacked him with a hammer, police say.

Emergency services were called to the University of New South Wales, in Kensington, about 6pm yesterday after reports of an assault.

Police said witnesses have told them two male students had a fight inside a chemistry lab in the Chemical Sciences Building.

"It’s alleged one student threw a chemical, believed to be sulphuric acid, in another student’s face before hitting him on the head with a hammer during an altercation," police said in a statement.

A 25-year-old man was initially taken to St Vincent's Hospital, but has been transferred to Royal North Shore Hospital's burns unit where he is in a critical condition in an induced coma.

A 26-year-old man was treated for minor burns before he was arrested and taken to Maroubra police station.

He was charged this morning with inflict grevious bodily harm with intent and is due to appear in Waverley Local Court this morning.

Two witnesses were also taken to St Vincent's Hospital to be treated for superficial burns.

Dean of the Faculty of Science, Professor Merlin Crossley, said staff and students were in shock.

"We're all shocked and distressed," Professor Crossley said via a spokeswoman.

"And we're going to be organising counselling for any of the other students who were there.

"We're obviously concerned about the welfare of the student [in hospital].

"We'll be co-operating fully with the police" (SMH News, 2012).

Title: Four Hurt As Gunmen Throw Acid On Passengers
October 13, 2012

Four passengers, including two female students, sustained burn injuries when unidentified gunmen threw acid on them in lower Kurram Agency on Friday, official and tribal sources said.

The sources said that unknown armed men fired at the Parachinar-bound passenger van (RIS-158) coming from Peshawar in Durrani area in lower Kurram to force the driver to stop the vehicle. “The gunmen forced four passengers to disembark and threw acid on them,” a source said.

The injured included Irshad Hussain and Mohammad Ali along with two female students. The victims were taken to the Agency Headquarters Hospital in Parachinar. The injured told reporters that they were MSc students and had gone to Kohat to appear in the viva examination. The students said they had asked the authorities to arrange the examination in Parachinar, but they didn’t pay heed to the demand. “We didn’t want to travel to Kohat owing to the fragile security situation in the area,” one of the injured person said (, 2012).

Title: Mindless Violence: Militants Attack Kurram Students With Guns, Acid
October 13, 2012
Express Tribune

: Acid attacks seem a never ending horror, despite the passage of the Acid Control and Acid Crime Prevention Act identifying acid attacks a punishable crime.

Unidentified militants in Kurram Agency intercepted and attacked a vehicle carrying Shia students from Kohat, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa en route to Parachinar, the headquarters of the agency, before throwing acid on them, injuring three, including a female on Friday.

One of the victims, Nabila, admitted at the Agency Headquarters Hospital (AHQ) in Parachinar said that the militants first opened fire on them and then threw acid on the students, injuring three of them near Durrani area. She said that they were on their way from Kohat University when the incident occurred.

Talking to The Express Tribune, Dr Mashad Ali of the AHQ added that Nabila and Shahid Hussain suffered horrific burns as a result of the acid attack, while the third person, Muhammad Ali suffered a bullet wound.

Yaqoob, a levies officer from Kurram Agency told the The Express Tribune that the political administration and levies officials had visited the area and were actively searching for the attackers under the collective responsibility of the Frontier Crimes Regulation.

Sajid Hussain Turi, a Member of the National Assembly from Kurram Agency expressed concern over the acid attack, saying “Acid attacks are a new of kind of sectarian violence in Kurram not known before.”

Previously, militants would use improvised explosive devices to target people travelling in the area. However, the administration effectively controlled that.

“Miscreants want to sabotage the peace agreement chalked out in 2008 and implemented in November 2011 to end sectarian violence in Kurram Agency,” Turi told The Express Tribune.

He asked the authorities concerned, including the political administration of the agency, to effectively bring such people to justice, saying “God forbid, if two or three such incidents occur in the future, it might spur sectarian violence in the agency again.”

Turi claimed that after a considerable period of peace and improved law and order in the agency, certain elements were attempting to disrupt the harmony (Express Tribune, 2012).

Title: Police: Battery Acid Attack On Sleeping Woman
October 18, 2012
Napa Valley Register

A man was arrested at mid-day Wednesday in Calistoga on suspicion of pouring battery acid onto the face of a woman while she slept, according to the Calistoga Police Department.

Claude Thomas Smith, 72, of San Francisco, was arrested after he was interviewed at the Calistoga Police Department, Sgt. Tim Martin said.

The attack allegedly occurred the night before at a residence in the 2400 block of Foothill Boulevard, police said.

According to the woman, who was interviewed at 1:50 a.m. Wednesday, she was hit in the head while she was asleep, then a caustic substance was poured on her face, police said.

She was treated and released from St. Helena Hospital for non-life threatening injuries, Martin said.

Smith was booked into the Napa County jail on suspicion of pouring a caustic acid onto someone, assault with a deadly weapon and domestic violence, police said. The investigation is ongoing, Martin said (Napa Valley Register, 2012).

Title: Woman Suffers Acid Attack After Divorce
October 20, 2012
Express Tribune

In the second such attack in a week, a man threw acid on his former wife, leaving her face disfigured. 

This was the 34th reported case of acid throwing in the province and 84th nationwide this year, according to the Acid Survivor Foundation (ASF).

Rozina was rushed to the Lady Reading Hospital (LRH) on Thursday after her ex-husband Tahir Zaman and his mother allegedly threw acid on her face in retaliation for their recent divorce. Rozina was admitted to the burns unit in LRH.

“They threw acid at her face and severely burnt her face and chest,” said a policeman, talking to The Express Tribune. Both the accused escaped but an FIR has been registered against them and investigations are underway, he added.

Rozina was on her way to visit relatives with her sister when the incident occurred on Talab Road, Nothia, in the jurisdiction of Gulberg police.

Several months ago, Rozina had filed a petition in the family court wanting a divorce from Zaman. After a series of hearings, which also lasted for months, the court finally decided in Rozina’s favour. Tahir was very upset at the news of his divorce and conspired with his mother Jamlu Bibi to attack Rozina.

The victim’s family declined to comment on the matter and was busy in treating her.

According to a report by the Islamabad-based NGO ASF, 45% of acid attacks occurred over family disputes, while 17% were caused over rejecting marriage proposals this year. Last year, 150 people suffered acid attacks across Pakistan, with 30 cases reported in Mardan -the highest in any district.

ASF Pakistan’s Chairperson Valerie Khan Yousafzai told The Express Tribune that many cases go unreported due to security risks. It is imperative that the provincial government legislate on the issue to protect the victims.

A Collective Response
Qamar Naseem, the programme coordinator for End Violence Against Women/Girls Alliance, said that ASF and other donor agencies will hold a meeting in Islamabad over the increasing incidents of acid attacks. A plan has been prepared to support treatment, including surgeries, for the victims (Express Tribune, 2012).

Title: Acid Attack On Stray Dogs In Malwani
October 21, 2012
Times of India

Around 10 stray dogs, including a female who had just delivered puppies, were severely injured after acid was thrown on them by unidentified persons in Malvani earlier this week.

Animal welfare officer Amit Pathak said, "I was recently informed by activist Shirley Advani of
NGO Save Our Strays that several dogs in Malvani were in acute pain due to an acid attack. We informed the Malvani police, rushed to the spot and rescued six injured dogs. It is shocking that someone could come up with such a plan against innocent animals."

Pathak said the rescued strays were sent to an animal hospital run by In Defense of Animals (IDA) in Govandi. A search is on for more injured animals in the area.

"We want to appeal to the public to think before treating animals in such a cruel way. They feel immense pain, just like us humans, when they are tortured or hurt. If there are too many
stray dogs in your area, then sterilization is the best and only solution to curb their population," added Pathak (Times of India, 2012).

Title: Acid Attack On 2 Girls In Patna, Police Arrest Youths
October 23, 2012
Hindustan Times

Two teenagers were sprayed with acid in their sleep early on Monday in Patna district for spurning the advances of a youth. The girls, an 18-year-old intermediate student and her 12-year-old sister, were sleeping on the terrace of their house at Chhitnawan village under Maner police station when the attack took place. “It seems that a group of youths barged into the house and threw acid on the girls,” said a police officer.

Both the girls have been admitted to Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH).

Police said the older sibling suffered severe burn injuries on her face and was in a serious condition, while her sister, who received burn injuries on her face, chest and a hand, was out of danger. “The girls were immediately taken to Danapur Sadar Hospital from where they were referred to PMCH for treatment,” police added.

The girls have accused one Anil Kumar and his associates of throwing acid on them.

Police said the girls used to go to Danapur to attend computer-coaching classes, where Kumar and his associates allegedly used to follow them and pass lewd comments.
“Kumar has been harassing us at the coaching classes. Four days ago, he had forcibly entered the house and threatened us with dire consequences,” said the older sibling.

Maner sub-inspector Umesh Kumar said the police had arrested the two youths in this connection. However, the victim’s family is yet to lodge a case (Hindustan Times, 2012).

Title: Jeweller Injured In Acid Attack
October 28, 2012
Business Standard

Three persons allegedly threw acid on a jeweller in Kandhrapur area when he was returning home, critically injuring him, police said today.

Ramchandra Soni (25) was returning home last night when the three assailants thew acid on him, they said.

He was seriously injured in the incident and rushed to a local hospital, from where he was referred to a hospital in Varanasi for better treatment, they said.

An FIR was lodged in this connection, they said, adding, the incident was stated to be fallout of recovery of a loan taken by Soni from some persons (Business Standard, 2012).

Title: Ghana: NPP Organiser Attacked With Acid
October 29, 2012
All Africa

The Techiman North branch of the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) has allegedly invoked a popular Techiman Shrine Bokyerewa, and the Antoa river goddess Nyamaa and other deities against unknown assailants who poured acid on the party's Constituency Organiser, Mr. Peter Mensah.

The NPP Organiser, currently on admission at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) in Kumasi, was yesterday doused with acid when he was returning from a Youth Forum at Techiman.

The latter sustained excessive burns all over the body as a result, according to ASP Kusi Appiah, Techiman Municipal Crime Officer, who confirmed the incident.

The Police Chief said they were yet to apprehend the perpetrators of the crime.

Initially, Mr. Mensah was rushed to the Holy Family Hospital in Techiman, but had to be referred to KATH, following the serious nature of the burns.

The Techiman NPP said they suspected the National Democratic Congress (NDC) as having masterminded the heinous crime. The NPP Communications Director for Techiman, Mr. Kofi Donyinaa, said they believed Alex Kyeremeh, Techiman Municipal Executive and also the NDC parliamentary candidate was behind the attack.

The Communication Director, who mooted the idea of a curse, did not only curse the NDC, but also journalists, the police and others who would be handling the case in their own way.

According to Donyinaa, any journalist who would be reporting the case based on falsehood and half-truths should also face the wrath of the gods invoked. .

He also said any authority or person who shall be handling the case, either by way of investigation or trial, without handling it properly, should also be punished by the powers of the shrines invoked.

The Communications Director appealed to the gods to deal with the person who perpetrated this heinous act, and that they (gods) should not entertain attempts by the offender to reverse the curse. He has suggested that whoever is behind this should be involved in an accident.

He went ahead to ask the gods to revert any bad intentions by their opponents against them in the forthcoming elections.

Donyinaa and his team said they resorted to cursing, because so many attacks were being meted out to them, but the police had not acted on any of them.

Meanwhile, the Municipal Chief Executive for Techiman, Alex Kyeremeh, who the NPP accused as the brain behind the acid dousing, in an interview, denied the allegation, urging the NPP to prove their case.

Oseadeayo Ameyaw Ekumfi IV, Paramount Chief of Techiman Traditional Area, has met with all political parties in the municipality to calm down tempers. He warned them to be law-abiding and do their campaigns in a very peaceful atmosphere, without any rancor (All Africa, 2012).

Title: Sleeping Man Doused With Acid In Cowardly Attack
October 29, 2012
Herald Sun

A 69-year-old man who was doused with paint and acid by a man who broke into his Merriwa home overnight was asleep on his couch when he was attacked, it has been revealed.

Peter Nelson was sleeping in his Dunmore Circuit home at about 2.30am this morning when a man broke in and threw paint and phosphoric acid into his face.

The intruder escaped with the man's car keys but not his car, while Mr Nelson was left in extreme pain before he was rushed to Royal Perth Hospital for treatment on chemical burns to his neck and face.

Today, he told Nine News his glasses saved his eyes but the pain became excruciating: "The pain got worse and worse over the next 35, 40 minutes until I was shaking with the pain of it."

Mr Nelson said people were no longer safe in their own homes: "I'm sort of vulnerable in the fact that I'm older and weak and disabled."

Police who attended the break-in say the fumes caused by the acid and paint mixture were so strong that officers were overcome and had to go back outside to breathe.

Detective Senior Constable Jamie Paterson said: "The intruder has found the paint and the acid in the victim’s carport  … armed himself with it, he’s come into the house and found the man sleeping on his couch in the lounge room.”

“He (the victim) has half woken up and the offender has just thrown this stuff onto him while he was still sitting in his chair.

“The homeowner didn’t even get to confront him or say a word to him…it’s an absolutely vicious and cowardly attack on a vulnerable person.

“He was in no position to defend himself.”

Police are still hunting for the attacker who was seen heading towards Dalvik Park. He is described as dark-skinned, about 170cm tall, aged in his early 20s and was wearing dark clothing (Herald Sun, 2012).

Title: Parents Attack Daughter With Acid For Talking To Boy
November 2, 2012
ABC News

Pakistani parents in a remote village allegedly killed their 15-year-old daughter by pouring acid all over her face and body after they caught her talking to an unknown boy, according to local police and hospital officials.

The incident happened in Kotli, a small town in Pakistan-administered Kashmir. The parents allegedly confessed to the attack after she spoke with a boy outside their house.

According to local police, the girl's father, Mohammed Zafar, became enraged when he found his teenage daughter, Anvu Shah, with the boy outside their home.

In many rural areas of Pakistan, deeply conservative social traditions forbid girls to speak or be seen with boys who are not related by blood.

"Zafar beat her up and then poured acid over her with the help of his wife," Tahir Ayub, a police officer, told Agence France Presse.

"She was badly burnt, but they did not take her to hospital until the next morning, and she died on Wednesday," he said.

Local media reports, citing hospital officials, say her death was slow and excruciatingly painful. The girl was brought to hospital with third degree burns all over her body, including her face, arms, and chest. Police were reportedly alerted to the attack by one of Shah's female relatives.

Her parents have now been charged with murder (ABC News, 2012).

Title: Pakistani Taliban Target Female Students With Acid Attack
November 3, 2012

It's the latest cruel tactic in the Pakistani Taliban's battle to stop girls and women from getting an education: acid thrown in their faces to scar them for life and deter others from following in their footsteps.

A doctor who treated the victims of an acid attack on a college van in the city of Parachinar in northern Pakistan last month told CNN that two girls had been left with severe burns to their faces.

The Pakistani Taliban have taken responsibility for the attack in threatening pamphlets distributed around the city. They also warn local girls against going to school, Dr. Shaban Ali said.

"We will never allow the girls of this area to go and get a Western education," said Qari Muhavia, the local Pakistani Taliban leader, when contacted by CNN by telephone.

"If and when we find any girl from Parachinar going to university for an education we will target her (in) the same way, so that she might not be able to unveil her face before others," Muhavia said.

The Pakistani Taiban's violent campaign to stop girls from getting an education was brought to international attention early last month when gunmen in the Swat Valley attacked another van, this time carrying schoolgirl education activist Malala Yousufzai. She is in a British hospital recovering from a gunshot to the head.

Shahab Uddin, a local government official from Kurram Agency in Pakistan's northern tribal belt, said the acid attack was the latest method used to terrorize young girls and deter them from going to school.

Fifteen students, boys and girls, from Kohat University were on their way home to Parachinar when unknown "extremists" stopped the vehicle and threw acid at the girls and shot one of the boys, according to Uddin.

Two girls, Zahida and Nabila, and one more boy had suffered burns, Uddin said, while Mohammad Ali, a fourth boy, was the student who was shot.

"After throwing acid on the students the assailants opened fire on the van," Uddin said.

He said the girls who were targeted "are alive and out of danger now, but their faces are badly scarred."

Ali, of the district headquarters hospital, confirmed that four students were brought into the emergency room for treatment, three with acid burns and one with a bullet wound.

"We are all graduate students studying in the master's program, and we were coming back home after taking our exams," one of the girls who was targeted told CNN under condition of anonymity.

"We don't know who the attackers were, but when our vehicle reached Doranai they stopped us and threw acid on our faces ... now we are scared of going back to our studies," said another girl, who also asked not to be named because she didn't have permission from her family to speak.

"Other passengers who were sitting in the vehicle were also wounded, but they were not as serious as Zahida and Nabila," she said.

Acid throwing is frequently used as a weapon in Pakistan to punish women for acts that allegedly bring dishonor to the family, or just to enact revenge.

Another recent acid attack in Pakistan resulted in the death of a 15-year-old girl, Anwasha. She was allegedly attacked by her parents for engaging in illicit relations with a boy, according to Tahir Ayub, a senior police official.

The 15-year-old girl suffered severe burns on her face and chest, but her parents initially refused to get her medical help, Ayub said. She was eventually taken to a hospital a day later and died from her injuries.

"Her father said she wasn't coming to her senses so the parents threw acid on her to save their honor," Ayub told CNN.

Anwasha's mother claimed she had seen the boy and girl secretly meet and had seen her frequently speaking on a cell phone, Ayub said.

The parents, who live in a suburban village outside the Kashmiri city of Muzaffarabad, are in police custody, Ayub said.

The Taliban in Afghanistan also have used acid attacks against girls to discourage them from going to school. The victims are left to cope with a disfigurement that is shameful in their culture and is likely to impact their ability to have a husband and family (CNN, 2012).