See Our New Website (Effective on August 16th, 2012)
The overall goal of our lab is to systematically integrate protein/peptide engineering, biomaterials design and
micro/nano-fabrication towards on-demand therapeutics and diagnostics, focused on cancer, diabetes and regenerative medicine.
- Postdoc, 2010-2012, The Laboratory of Prof. Robert Langer
Department of Chemical Engineering
David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research
Massachusetts Institute of Technology/ Harvard Medical School
- Ph.D., 2010, School of Engineering and Applied Science
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
Advisors: Prof. Yi Tang in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and
Prof. Yong Chen in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- M.S., Polymer Chemistry and Physics, Nanjing University
Advisor: Prof. Qun-Dong Shen in Polymer Science and Engineering
- B.Sc., Chemistry, Nanjing University
Honors and Awards
- Excellent Publication Award of Key Laboratory of Mesoscopic Chemistry, 2011
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Ph.D. Students Abroad, 2010
- Distinguished Model Graduate in Nanjing University, 2006
- Finalist for DSM Business Course-"2006-ZHUO", Shanghai, 2006
- Scholarship of National Distinguished Graduate Student, China, 2005
- Dai An-Bang Scholarship for Excellent Experimental Abilities, China, 2003
- Distinguished Youth Leadership Award in Jiangsu Province, China, 2003
- Distinguished Model Student of Nanjing University, 2002
- GuangHua Scholarship, China, 2002
- The First Prize of People’s Scholarship in Nanjing University, 2002
- The First Prize of People’s Scholarship in Nanjing University, 2001
- The First Prize of 6th Academic Paper Competition in Nanjing University, 2001
- The First Prize of 10th Youth Creativity Competition in Jiangsu Province, 1999
- Cover Features
*:Corresponding Author; +: Equal Contribution
18. Zhen Gu*, Anuradha Biswas+, Muxun Zhao, Yi Tang*,"Tailoring Nanocarriers for Intracellular Protein Delivery" Chemical Society Reviews, 40(3638), 2011. (Corresponding Author, invited manuscript)
17. Muxun Zhao, Anuradha Biswas, Biliang Hu, Kye-Il Joo, Pin Wang, Zhen Gu*, Yi Tang*, "Redox-Responsive Nanocapsules for Intracellular Protein Delivery" Biomaterials, 32(5223), 2011. (Co-corresponding Author)
16. Kye-Il Joo, Yun Fang, Yarong Liu, Liang Xiao, Zhen Gu, April Tai, Chi-Lin Lee, Yi Tang, Pin Wang*, "Enhanced Real-Time Monitoring of Adeno-Associated Virus Trafficking by Virus-Quantum Dot Conjugates", ACS Nano, 5(3523), 2011.
15. Zhen Gu*, Muxun Zhao, Yuewei Sheng, Laurent A. Bentolila, Yi Tang*, "Detection of Mercury Ion by Infrared Fluorescent Protein and Its Hydrogel-Based Paper Assay" Analytical Chemistry, 83(2324), 2011. (Co-corresponding Author)
14. Anuradha Biswas , Kye-Il Joo , Jing Liu , Muxun Zhao , Guoping Fan , Pin Wang , Zhen Gu*, Yi Tang*, "Endoprotease-Mediated Intracellular Protein Delivery Using Nanocapsules" ACS Nano, 5(1385), 2011. (Co-corresponding Author)
13. Bin Sun, Min-Jie Sun, Zhen Gu, Qun-Dong Shen*, Shao-Jun Jiang, Yu Wang, "Conjugated Polymer Fluorescence Probe for Intracellular Imaging of Magnetic Nanoparticles" Macromolecules, 43 (10348), 2010.
12. Zhen Gu, Anuradha Biswas, Kye-Il Joo, Biliang Hu, Pin Wang Yi Tang*, "Probing Protease Activity by Single-Fluorescent-Protein Nanocapsules" Chemical Communications, 46(6467), 2010.
11. Zhen Gu*, Yi Tang*, "Enzyme-Assisted Photolithography for Spatial Functionalization of Hydrogels" Lab on a Chip, 10(1946), 2010. (Highlighted as a Front Cover; Co-corresponding Author)
10. Zhen Gu, Xiao-Yuan Chen, Qun-Dong Shen*, Hai-Xiong Ge, Hai-Hua Xu, "Hybrid Nanocomposites of Semiconductor Nanoparticles and Conjugated Polyelectrolytes and Their Application as Fluorescence Biosensors" Polymer, 51 (902), 2010.
9. Zhen Gu*, Yi Tang, Yong Chen. "Fabrication of Biomolecular Nanopatterns" Chapter in: F.Columbus "Advances in Nanotechnology". Nova Science Publishers, 2010. (Invited Paper; Corresponding Author)
8. Ming Yan+, Juanjuan Du+, Zhen Gu, Min Liang, Yufang Hu, Wenjun Zhang, Tatiana Segura, Zheng Liu, Yi Tang*, Yunfeng Lu*, “A Novel Intracellular Protein Delivery Platform Based on Single-Protein Nanocapsules” Nature Nanotechnology, 5 (48), 2010.
7. Zhen Gu, Ming Yan, Biliang Hu, Kye-Il Joo, Anuradha Biswas, Yu Huang, Yunfeng Lu*, Pin Wang* and Yi Tang*, "Protein Nanocapsule Weaved with Enzymatically Degradable Polymeric Network" Nano Letters, 12(4533) 2009.
6. Zhen Gu*, Suxian Huang, Yong Chen*, “Biomolecular Nanopatterning by Magnetic Electric Lithography” Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 48(952), 2009. (Highlighted as a Front Cover, Co-corresponding Author)
5. Lei Zhang*, Zhen Gu, Zhiping Yu, Xiangqing He, and Yong Chen. “A CMOS Microarray with On-chip Decoder/Amplifier and Its Integration with Bio-Nano-System” Journal of Semiconductors, 29(10) (1947), 2008.
4. Qianxi Lai, Zhiyong Li, Lei Zhang, Xuema Li, William F. Stickle, Zuhua Zhu, Zhen Gu, Theodore I. Kamins, R. Stanley Williams, and Yong Chen “An Organic/Si Nanowire Hybrid Field Configurable Transistor”, Nano Letters, 3 (876), 2008.
3. Zhen Gu, Qun-Dong Shen*, Yang Zhang, “Distinct Photophysical Properties of an Anionic Water-Soluble Poly(Phenylene Vinylene) Alternating Copolymer”, Polymer Division of Chinese Chemical Society 2005 Annual Conference.
2. Zhen Gu, Qun-Dong Shen*, Yong-Jun Bao, Yang Zhang, Mu Wang, “Enhanced Photoluminescence and Dual Electroluminescence of Anionic Water-Soluble Poly(Phenylene Vinylene) Alternating Copolymer”, Macromolecules, 39 (3125), 2006.
1. Zhen Gu, Qun-Dong Shen*, Juan Zhang, Chang-Zheng Yang, “Dual Electroluminescence from a Single-Component Light-emitting Electrochemical Cell Based on Water-Soluble Conjugated Polymer”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 100 (2930), 2006.
See details of publications...
1. Zhen Gu, Alex Aimetti, Daniel Anderson, Robert Langer, “A Glucose-Mediated Delivery System for Diabetes Treatment” MIT Technology Disclosure, Case#-15469, 2012.
2. Zhen Gu, Daniel Anderson, Robert Langer, “Micro-Device for Glucose-Responsive Delivery of Insulin” MIT Case#-15056, U.S. Application Serial No. 61/476,094, filed 02/17/2012.
3. Zhen Gu, Alex Aimetti, Daniel Anderson, Robert Langer, “Self-assembled System for Intelligent Insulin Delivery” MIT Case#-15057, U.S. Application Serial No. 61/476,094, filed 02/17/2012.
4. Yi Tang, Zhen Gu, Yunfeng Lu, Ming Yan, Anuradha Biswas, Guoping Fan. “Protease-Assisted Native-Protein Delivery Approach” UC.-Case#-531. U.S. Patent Application Serial No. 13/089,117, filed 04/18/2011.
5. Yi Tang, Zhen Gu, Muxun Zhao. “Redox Responsive Nanocapsules for Protein Delivery” UC.-Case#-659. U.S. Application Serial No. 61/476,094, filed 04/15/2011.
6.Yi Tang, Zhen Gu, Yunfeng Lu, Ming Yan. “Protease-Assisted Photolithography” UC.-Case#-086, 2010.
7. Yi Tang, Zhen Gu, “Photo/Enzyme Synergistically Responsive Matrix” UC.-Case#-246, 2010.
8. Yi Tang, Zhen Gu, Anuradha Biswas, Guoping Fan. “Endoprotease-Mediated Protein Intracellular Delivery” UC.-Case#-014, 2010.
9. Yi Tang, Zhen Gu, “Protein/Hydrogel Based Paper Assay” UC.-Case#-211, 2010.
10. Qun-Dong Shen, Bin Sun, Yang Zhang, Zhen Gu. “Preparation and Application of a Magnetic/Fluorescent Hybrid Nanocompsite Material” China Patent No. 200810020415, filed 08/06/2008.
- Member of Materials Research Society (MRS), 2008-Present;
- Member of Controlled Release Society (CRS), 2011-Present;
- Member of Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES), 2011-Present
ACS Nano (ACS), Analytical Chemistry (ACS), Biomacromolecules (ACS), Biomaterials (Elsevier), Chemical Communications (RSC), Green Chemistry (RSC), Journal of Applied Polymer Science (WILEY-VCH), Journal of Materials Chemistry (RSC), Journal of Controlled Release (Elsevier), Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ASP), Lab on a Chip (RSC), Macromolecules (ACS), Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics (WILEY-VCH), Materials Letters (Elsevier), Materials Science and Engineering B (Elsevier), Microelectronic Engineering (Elsevier), Molecular BioSystems (RSC), Nanomedicine (Elsevier), Polymer (Elsevier), Polymer Chemistry (RSC), RSC Advances (RSC), Small (WILEY-VCH), Soft Matter (RSC)
Copyright 2011, Zhen Gu (顾臻), PhD; Koch Institute, MIT; Children's Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School