Snippets of Billington and Whalley

1894
 
On 5th November the Parish Council was formed. There were 13 candidates put forward of which seven were chosen after a show of hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1899

Permission was obtained from Solomon Longworth to build the bridge from Whalley to Billington. It became known as The Iron Bridge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
1905

The first motor wagon to be seen in the district was introduced in September by Barrow Print Works to convey coal from Whalley Railway Station to the factory. It replaced four teams of horses and was viewed with grave misgivings by older residents.

A novel race took place between Billington and Blackburn, when a horse ridden by a Clitheroe man raced a Whalley cyclist. The horse won easily and its rider collected a prize of £8.00.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1908

Iron Bridge - still awaiting estimate.

September - it was agreed to levy a rate of between 3p and 4p for a right of way over the bridge. The new bridge was installed and named Old Sol's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
1917

It was agreed to have a Parish Council noticeboard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1922

The Council agrees to see if electric lights could be obtained for the village.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
1931

There was a report on the nuisance of buses stopping in George Street.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
1935

There was a mock wedding, entirely made up of the ladies of Queen Street and Princess Street, Whalley, celebrating King George's Jubilee.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1941

A special meeting was called as the churchyard was nearly full and it was proposed to ask the Clitheroe Rural District Council to provide a new burial ground.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1945

Whalley applied for 12 houses to be built, but was only given 8.

The bus stop queue opposite Sutton's Shop (now the Dry Cleaners) was causing a nuisance and it was recommended that a white line be drawn on the kerb. The following year the Ribble Motor Company disclaimed any liability regarding the white line.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1946

Land bought for new burial ground just outside Barrow.

A bonfire took place on Abbey Fields, Whalley, for the Peace Celebrations.

Longworth's Factory in Billington decorated a float for the Peace Celebrations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1947

A special meeting was called to discuss a scheme to purchase the Assembly Rooms (Rendezvous Nightclub) for use as a village hall. About 100 rate payers were present and a proposal was put that the council proceed with the purchase and an amendment that a postal vote be obtained first. it showed 41 for the proposal and 35 against. the chairman suggested a vote by ballot because of the narrow majority.

In May 1947, with over 100 people present, a proposal that the parish council raise a loan of £2,750 to purchase the Assembly Rooms for a village hall was put. There were 58 votes for and 52 votes against. Eventually the council did not purchase the Assembly Rooms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1949

There are reports regarding litter in George Street and around the Bus Stop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1953

More litter bins are required in the village as well as railings, especially on George Street, because of the increased traffic.

Church Street should also revert to its original name of Church Lane, it was agreed.

The new method of traffic lights made it more difficult for the elderly and prams to cross the main road. This was when a proposal for a zebra crossing was put forward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1954

The zebra crossing proposal failed to win backing from the Ministry of Transport.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1955

There was a suggestion of building council houses at the rear of Woodlands Drive. More than 100 people attended the meeting. A suggestion was supported that the new homes should be bungalows. It was agreed to ask the Rural District Council to proceed after only 15 people voted against the idea.

May Queens from almost a dozen Roman Catholic Churches in East Lancashire took part in the May Queen Festival and Procession at English Martyrs Church, Whalley. A crowd of more than 1000 people saw 200 children join in procession with the Whalley May Queen, six year old Margaret Mary Wilson.

Residents in Whalley were pleasantly surprised to see a cleaner, tidier street on their way to Church.
The street, which had been swept free of litter in the morning, was down to the efforts of a team of volunteers led by chairman of the parish council Coun. A. Brooks and Mr Jimmy Fell, a local resident, in an attempt to make the village tidier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1956

A scheme was submitted to convert Whalley's street lights to electricity. A loan of £2,200 from Lancashire County Council was applied for to pay for the work.

Water shortage would no longer be a problem in Whalley and District after this year, as Clitheroe Rural District Council was preparing a scheme to tap Manchester Corporation's Haweswater pipeline.

Whalley, Wiswell and Barrow residents were urged to economise with water, as a run of dry weather caused a shortage in reservoirs. emergency deliveries were made by milk tanker and an application was made to draw off a temporary supply from the Manchester pipeline.

Clitheroe Rural and District Council voiced its concern to the North West Electricity Board that plans for an overhead power supply in the Read and Whalley areas would spoil some of the area's most picturesque countryside.

Visitors to the Clitheroe area had no excuse for littering the streets with their rubbish, as new litter baskets were distributed to Wiswell, Whalley, Downham and Chatburn in time for the summer.

Whalley's streets were left full of litter at the end of the Easter holiday last weekend. Thousands of people visited the village over the course of four days, but during the period, the streets were only swept once by the County Council. By Monday evening, the aftermath of the visitors was clear, with pavements and gutters choked with fish and chip and ice cream wrappings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1957

Clitheroe District Council was to be congratulated on arranging for Whalley to have a new and improved water supply from Manchester Corporation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
1958

The Parish Council chairman appealed for people to use water more sensibly, as it seemed people could not get enough of the improved supply. Water consumption has risen and the Council might have to increase charges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1959

The Vicar asked the Council to contribute towards the upkeep of the churchyard. A grant of £35.00 was taken from the rates. In the same year the Parish Clerk was instructed to write to the Education officer, seeking permission for village children to use the playing field adjoining the School.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1960

In April a special meeting was called to discuss the proposed development of land bounded by Abbey Road and Station Road.

About 150 people attended the meeting and strongly objected to the developments of this land for houses.

The proposed estate (now Abbey Fields) would cause traffic problems and put too great a strain on the village's existing amenities, it was argued.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1963

A loan of £275 was obtained from Lancashire County Council for an extension to the burial ground at Barrow.

In August, a special meeting was called to show a scheme to improve traffic flow in the village. A plan for a one way system around the Whalley Arms was to be submitted. However, those at the meeting wanted more and demanded that a by-pass road be built round Whalley.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1964

A grant of £100 was made to the churchyard, up by 25% on the previous year.

The Parish Council agreed a grant of £75 to the Cricket, Tennis and Bowling Club.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1966

There was a proposal that new street lighting be installed from Mitton Road to the Calder Bridge, at a cost of £1,670. This was not carried out as the Ministry was taking over responsibility for this trunk road in consideration of a future by-pass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1981

Calderstones Hospital's Diamond Jubilee Year was to be crowned with its first royal visit. In May, Prince Charles was to be in the North West for the reopening of the Grand Theatre, Blackpool and as Patron of the International Year of Disabled People, he delighted residents and staff by accepting the invitation to see the hospital life at first hand.

Pupils at St Augustines R.C High School, Billington, were hoping to top the charts with their record "The Stuart Hall Song". Launched at the weekend, the 130 strong school choir and band featured in the record, had already appeared on BBC television when the song was privately recorded in January.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2005

Residents in Whalley can proudly show off their green fingers after cleaning Whalley Parish Church Yard. Armed with trowels, spades, wheel barrows and other garden tools, volunteers turned out in their numbers on Saturday to spruce up the Church grounds. Whalley resident and borough councillor Joyce Holgate, was one of the volunteers involved in the bi-annual clean up mission.

Generous members of Whalley Chamber of Trade have come to the aid of a life-saving charity. Members handed over a cheque for £400.00 to Whalley and Billington First Responders to purchase a pulse oximeter. The move was in response to a plea by the first responders for "crucial" equipment.

More than £220.00 was raised for the North West Air Ambulance when a popular Whalley cafe opened its doors especially for the lifesaving charity. Marmalade, in King Street is normally closed on Tuesdays, but its owners and staff decided to open up for four hours, with proceeds going to the air ambulance.

A kind Whalley woman raised more than £300.00 in the space of five hours to boost funds for the retired police dogs charity. Mrs Marion Sycamore, of King Street, threw open the doors of her home for a special fund-raising event in aid of the recently launched Retired Police Dogs' Benevolent Fund.

Planning permission has been granted for a new Medium Secure Unit to be built at Calderstones Hospital for people with mental handicap, in Whalley. Calderstones NHS Trust has been granted final approval by Ribble Valley Borough Council for the replacement unit to be built. The new 36 bed unit will replace the present one and provide modern, purpose built accommodation to provide a wider range of therapeutic, educational and leisure services and an improved environment offering greater degrees of privacy and dignity.

Gift filled shoeboxes are being sent to poor and needy children in central and eastern Europe. As part of the Operation Christmas Child project, kind hearted pupils at Whalley Primary School have been busily filling the shoeboxes with pencils, pens, toothbrushes, toothpaste, hats, gloves, soft toys, items for girls and boys and many other essential goods, to bring a smile to the faces of children less fortunate than themselves.

Police have been forced to board up cubicles in the gents' section of Whalley's public toilets to stop them being used as a meeting place for gay men. The move follows a string of complaints from concerned villagers about acts of lewdness in the toilets behind the GP's surgery in King Street. Whalley's PCSO Jason Taylor, who has been
investigating the incidents, said he had no choice but to close them!!!

Whalley villagers have joined forces with the Police in a determined bid to improve community safety and crack down on crime. Up to 60 householders have signed up to the Neighbourhood Watch Scheme. The areas covered in the scheme include George Street, Church Lane, Abbots Croft and The Sands. Neighbourhood Watch Schemes have been introduced to help reduce crime, help with solving crime by reporting anything suspicious as well as fusing links between people living in the community.

Children from Whalley Primary School braved freezing temperatures to spruce up a nearby woodland area. More than 30 year 6 pupils from the school put on their wellies and picked up their spades to help Calderstones NHS Trust complete a major tree planting scheme, which has seen almost 5000 new trees planted in Whalley. The scheme has been undertaken on land owned by Calderstones and in partnership with East Lancashire Woodlands Initiative (ELWOOD). It has been carried out to create a new area of woodland in Whalley to complement the existing areas of Mitton Wood and Chew Bank Wood.

Literary treats will be available to bookworms at Calderstones NHS Trust now their new library has opened. The dedicated client library was officially unvailed by the trust executive. Split over two sites at the Whalley hospital, the library will contain books worth £6000.
Purchases have been selected from suggestions made by the clients and include modern and classic thrillers, comedy, action and romance, as well as poetry and factual books. There is also a range of spoken word books including the "Harry Potter" series.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2006

Generous pupils at Whalley Primary School used their Christmas Nativity to boost Derian House Children's Hospice. Youngsters at the school presented a cheque for £100.00.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Comments