Hacking Hall

This magnificent Jacobean mansion stands at the point of where the rivers Calder and Ribble meet. Recently restored it has many windows at the front. The hall was built by Thomas Livesey, father of Sir Thomas Walmesley's mother, in 1607 and later added to by Judge Walmesley of Dunkenhalgh. The original timber framed manor house stood on the moated site of Chete Yard, a position to the side of the building.

The principal room of the first floor of the east wing was formerly panelled in richly carved oak, one compartment bore the arms of the Judge. The panelling was removed some time before 1875 and taken to The Dunkenhalgh.

The great barn at Hacking was a tithe barn built the convent at Whalley.

THE BRONZE AGE MOUNDS

Two large mounds stand near to the boat house, both of which are man-made. The one by the barn was excavated by Rev. J. R. Luck of Stonyhurst College in 1894. An urn was found which dates back to 1250 B.C. and contained the cremated remains of a body. Also found were a young manís skull and a flint knife as well as two other childrens skulls.

The burial is one of an important person, probably a local chieftain is buried near the ancient natural ford at Jumbles Rocks which must have been used by early man.

The second, larger mound, is known as Loe Hill and has only recently been declared man-made.
No major excavation work has been carried out on the mound and its purpose remains uncertain.
 
** STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION **
Comments