B4HPDX Bike Adoption Key Policies
- Each adopter/rider is limited to adopting 2
bikes per year from B4HPDX.
- Each bike has a Refurbishment Processing Fee (RPF) and a Suggested Donation Value (SDV).
- RPF + SDV equals to our estimated intrinsic value of each bike.
- RPF (typically 80% of total value of bike) is a required adoption fee and adopter receives a purchase receipt for the RPF amount paid.
- SDV is in addition to RPF and is voluntary and adopter receives a charitable donation receipt for the SDV amount.
- Any bike where its RPF + SDV total is less than US$100, the bike is eligible for financial aid.
- Adopter of an eligible bike can apply for financial aid based on economic need.
- Financial aid option includes adopter refurbishing the bike together with our volunteers. This on average takes 10 hours; after successful completion the applicant receives the bike at no out-of-pocket cost.
Frequently Asked Questions & Answers
Are any of the bikes
collected going to Africa?
No. All donated bikes to B4HPDX are refurbished by
local volunteers and offered for adoption locally.
Can I trade in a bike for
No. By law, B4HPDX cannot assign a monetary value
to donated goods. Therefore, donations
and adoptions are required to be separate transactions. You are welcome to donate bikes, then adopt
bikes, at our Donation & Adoption Drive events.
What if someone adopts a
bike then sells it on Craigslist?
control what adopters do with adopted bikes. Our policy of no more than 2 bikes
adopted by each adopter per year, a mandatory Refurbishment Processing Fee, and follow-up
process for each adoption, encourages ownership and discourages profiteering
from our charitable service.
What portion of my payment is tax exempt?
The portion of your payment
that qualifies as a charitable contribution is documented on your receipt and in
our financial records. Any purchases or
accessories, fees-for-services, and the mandatory Refurbishment Processing Fee, are not
part of the charitable contribution amount.
Please consult your tax accountant for further information regarding IRS
How can I get a free bike
B4HPDX seeks to promote a sense of empowerment
and ownership rather than a sense of entitlement for each adoption. We believe
each capable adult can be empowered to afford a bicycle. Some kid’s bikes and spare-parts
bikes are available at extremely low Refurbishment Processing Fee. Our financial aid program offers an applicant the option to refurbish a bike that fits individual needs. Through partnerships with social wellfare agencies or based on compelling application, B4HPDX may grant refurbished bicycles at no out-of-pocket cost to the adopter.
Is anyone paid a salary from B4HPDX
event & operation proceeds?
No. B4HPDX is an
all-volunteer organization. There are no paid employees. We pay to purchase spare parts, tools, shop
materials, advertising for our events, etc. We pay vendors or contractors for goods or services.
What if I can’t find a bike
that fits me at your event or shop?
B4HPDX continuously receives public bike donations. Together through partnerships with local bike shops and organizations, we hope to help everyone find a bike that fits physical, economic, and transportation needs.