Glance Into Past

The editor of the Butte Record explains the source and background of the new master head. Prior to that only the name of the newspaper appeared at the top of the front page.

“The heading of our paper - was designed by our talented young friend Mighels.* It is not designed to represent any particular fluming company, although the view resembles that seen from Rock Islands on looking up the river. The object was to give a general idea of river mining operations, without fixing upon any particular locality. We might have given a view of Bidwell, but since the fire it has not been in a condition to make a very good show, and we concluded the best plan would be to go at once to the source of our country’s greatness- the bed rock- and exhibit the modus operandi of river mining. The engraving was done by Masers, Anthony and Baker, San Francisco in the excellent style which distinguish the work of those gentlemen.”   George H. Crosette, Editor                                                            *Henry R. Mighels

 

                   A Glance Into The Past: The Beckwith Route. 

Butte Record.  November 12, 1853. Volume 1, No. 1

The digital image below is from an original copy of the Butte Recrod.   By November 1853,  C. W. Stiles had established the first newspaper in Butte County.  Three months earlier, the county seat had been removed from Hamilton to the town of Bidwell. Stiles was a businessman but did not have a newspaper background and by February 4, 1854 he had sold his interest in the Butte Record to an experienced editor, George H. Crosette. Starting with the February 4, 1854, Vol. 1, No. 13 issue of newspaper, Crosette was the editor. Over the next several months he made numerous changes in the newspaper, including the master head shown above.

 

James Beckwith (Beckworth)scouted a pathway across the mountains utilizing a series of existing trails and in 1851, guided the first wagon train across the route. He and others intercepted travelers and encouraged them to take this route through Bidwell’s Bar and on to the Sacramento valley. The trail received heavy use until 1855, when other routes to the Sacramento area became favored.

 

It takes some imagination to visualize the large number of immigrants and livestock traveling this mountain route. After several months on the trail the people and livestock would have been both trail weary and wise by the time they reached Bidwell’s Bar.                         


Posted to Bidwell The Town webpage on 10/25/2015 by YamsHistory

Comments