National Hotel

After the town fire of August 2, 1854, the two-story National Hotel was rebuilt on the original lot. For many of the stages entering town the hotel was their first stop. When it was at it’s grandest the rectangular main structure of the National Hotel contained 3,120 square feet and when additions were placed on each end the final 5,808 square foot hotel may have been the largest building in Bidwell. A stable next door provided for the care of horses and mules used by guests. The hotel was located near the south east corner and across from the approximately 150 foot square plaza area. The Skinkle and Lamp Saloon was strategically located diagonally across the street from the hotel on the flat below the courthouse.