This site gathers text and translation of certain texts relating to the Bhikkhuni Patimokkha, the code of discipline for Buddhist nuns. It was undertaken as part of research into bhikkhuni ordination by the residents of Santi Forest Monastery around 2009. It is a companion site to our Sikkhamana project.
The texts here in many cases are translated into English for the first time. Unless otherwise noted, translations are by Santipada. In some cases we have used pre-existing translations, and in certain cases offer suggested revisions. Chinese texts are from the CBETA edition of the Taisho canon; Pali texts are from the Dhamma Society’s World Tipitaka Edition. Here are the main texts we used.
- Heirmann, Anne. The Discipline in Four Parts: Rules for Nuns according to the Dharmaguptakavinaya: Part II. Motilal Banarsidass Publishers, Delhi, 2002.
- Hirakawa, Akira. Monastic Discipline for the Buddhist Nuns: An English Translation of the Chinese Text of the Mahasamghika Bhiksuni-Vinaya, Kashi Prasad Jayaswal Research Institute, Patna, 1999.
- Horner, I.B. The Book of the Discipline
- Roth, Gustav. Bhikṣuṇī-Vinaya Manual Of Discipline For Buddhist Nuns, Second Edition. Kashi Prasad Jayaswal Research Institute, Patna, 2005.) (This is available on GRETIL.)
- Tsomo, Dr Karma Lekshe. Sisters in Solitude: Two Traditions of Buddhist Monastic Ethics for Women, A Comparative Analysis of the Dharmagupta and Mulasarvastivada Bhiksuni Pratimoksa Sutras. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 1996.