Ice Cream Ingredients
- 21 oz of full fat coconut milk (1 1/2 cans)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (or) powder for AIP
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 4 egg yolks (omit for elimination phase AIP)
- Dash of sea salt
Cookie Dough Ingredients
- 1/3 cup Otto's cassava flour
- 1/3 cup Organic Gemini tigernut flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or) powder for AIP
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup Tin Star Food's brown butter ghee (or) coconut oil for AIP
- Whisk together coconut milk, vanilla, sea salt, and coconut sugar in a sauce pot over medium-low heat until sugar and salt have dissolved.
- If using, break the egg yolks into a separate mixing bowl and slowly temper in 1/2 cup of the warmed coconut milk, whisking vigorously to ensure the eggs do not scramble.
- Whisk the tempered egg mixture back into the sauce pot and remove from the heat, allowing to cool completely before churning.
- To make the cookie dough, use a food processor or hand mixer to combine cream the coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and fat of choice.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and add to the wet mixture, mixing until a dough has formed.
- If the dough is too wet, stick in the fridge to firm up, otherwise create bite-size pieces of cookie dough with your fingers, placing them on a platter to later drop into the ice cream.
- Once the coconut milk mixture has chilled, pour into prepared ice cream machine and churn 10-15 minutes until beginning to thicken, then slowly drop in the cookie dough bites, allowing the mixture to churn another 5-10 minutes until the consistency of soft serve.
- If you would like your ice cream harder, scoop into a shallow dish and place in the freezer. Otherwise, serve ice cream as is and enjoy.
Almond flour can be used in replace of the tigernut flour.
Make keto-friendly by subbing out the sugar with your favorite sugar substitute and use a low-carb flour such as almond, in place of the cassava and tigernut.