Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
(Yields 2.5 cups)
- 5 medium apples – peeled, cored, and sliced (about 5 cups)
- 4 small pears – peeled, cored, and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 c apple juice (or water)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey (optional)
- 3-4 dried apricots, chopped fine (optional but a very nice addition)
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the apple and pear slices over medium heat. Pour in the apple juice (or water). Add the fresh ginger, vanilla, cinnamon, and optional maple syrup (or honey) and dried apricots. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and allow to gently simmer for 15-20 minutes until all fruit is tender and slightly caramelized.
- Remove from heat and mash by hand for a chunkier, more rustic sauce or use an immersion blender to purée to desired consistency.
- Serve warm or cool. Store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.