(Yields 1 1/2-2 dozen)
Sugar Cookie Ingredients
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat shortening, maple syrup, and vanilla in a standard mixer or food processor.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Add the dry to the went and beat until just combined.
- Transfer the dough to a large sheet of parchment paper, use your hands to pat the dough down into a round circle, sprinkle it with flour, and then place another piece of parchment on top of it.
- Use a roller to roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick, then cut into desired shapes, continuing until all of the dough is used.
- Put the sheet in the oven and allow the cookies to bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown on the bottom.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, puree coconut milk, maple sugar, vanilla, and shortening in a food processor.
- Add in ottos cassava flour 1 tbsp at a time, then allow the mixture to puree for another 5 minutes until smooth.
- Once the cookies have cooled, frost them with the icing and enjoy.
Add 1/3 cup maple sugar for more sweetness to the cookies if desired.
Replace vanilla powder with vanilla extract in the frosting if not on AIP.