1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
about 1/4 to 3/4 cup all-purpose flour or matzo meal
Oil for frying (canola is recommended)
1. Peel potatoes. Place in a bowl of cold water so they won't turn brown.
2. When ready to prepare the latkas, drain the potatoes. Place potatoes and onions in a food processor fitted with a knife blade. Grate by hand if you want. Pulse until fairly smooth. Drain and squeeze mixture well.
3. Pour 1 inch of oil into a large, deep frying pan. Heat the oil over medium-high heat.
5. Carefully drop about 1/4 cup of the potato mixture into the hot oil.
6. Flatten the pancake slightly so the center will cook.
7. Fry for several minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
8. Drain on paper towels.
Don't forget to serve with applesauce and sour cream.