Simple Boiled Custard
4 cups milk or half-and-half
1. Pour milk into top of a double boiler, and bring water to a boil. Heat milk until tiny bubbles begin to appear around edges of pan. Remove from heat.
2. Whisk egg yolks until frothy. Add sugar, cornstarch, and salt, beating until thickened. Gradually stir about 1 cup hot milk into yolk mixture; add to remaining milk, stirring constantly.
3. Cook custard in double boiler over low heat, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes or until thickened and a candy thermometer register 180 degrees F. (DO NOT BOIL) Stir in vanilla.
4. Pour custard through a mesh strainer in case there are lumps or a tiny piece of egg shell.
5. Serve warm or cold, over berries or plain.