This dish only takes about 15 minutes to throw together, and bakes about 2 hours. These beans can be prepared 1 day ahead and refrigerated; reheat before serving.
Savory Baked Beans
1 pound dried baby lima beans
1. Pick over the beans to remove any small stones or debris; rinse thoroughly. Place the beans in a large bowl, add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches, and soak 6-8 hours or overnight. Drain.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until lightly browned. Add the olive oil, onion, and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent.
4. Add the tomatoes, brown sugar, mustard, thyme, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, stir well, and simmer 5 minutes. Add the beans and broth and stir well again.
5. Cover and bake 1 hour and 30 minutes. Uncover and bake, stirring in more broth if the beans seem dry, 30 minutes longer, until the beans are just tender. Remember the beans can be prepared 1 day ahead and refrigerated' reheat before serving.