Remember the other day when we made homemade pork sausage? This is the perfect recipe to use when you make it. If you don't have homemade, store bought (Jimmy Dean) is fine.
You can assemble this dish the night before through Step 4 (do not add broth), and refrigerate. Stir in broth before baking. You can also cut the recipe in half.
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Toast 1/2 cup chopped pecans in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until toasted. Remove pecans from skillet.
2. Brown sausage in same skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Remove sausage from skillet using a slotted spoon; reserve drippings in skillet.
3. Melt butter in hot drippings over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and saute' 10-15 minutes or until celery is tender.
4. Remove 1 seasoning packet from rice mixes; reserve for another use. Combine sausage, vegetable mixture, remaining seasoning packet, rice, and next 2 ingredients in a lightly greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Stir in chicken broth until well blended.
5. Bake, covered, at 325 degrees 1 hour or until liquid is almost absorbed. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle chopped, toasted pecan on top.