My Holly's Folly - A Tomato Chili Sauce
7 pints about
6 quarts peeled and sliced tomatoes
3 large onions, minced
1/2 cup coarse pickling salt
3 cups diced celery
2 large red bell peppers, seeded and diced
1/3 cup whole pickling spice (tied in cheesecloth)
3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
4 cups brown sugar, yes, 4 cups
1. Slice peeled tomatoes into a very large bowl, add minced onions and salt and stir gently. Hands work well.
2. Cover bowl and let stand for a minimum of 8 hours,; overnight is best.
3. Drain thoroughly and place in a large, heavy saucepan with a lid.
4. Stir in diced celery, red peppers, pickling spice bundle, red pepper flakes and vinegar, then cover, over medium heat, bring to a boil.
5. Once boiling, uncover and simmer over low heat until thickened, at least two hour; stir often to prevent sticking.
6. Add brown sugar and stir well; taste for sweetness (if tomatoes are very tart or acidic, you may need a little more brown sugar).
7. Simmer mixture until thickened again, about 25-30 minutes.
8. Remove spice bundle and discard.
9. Ladle mixture into hot sterilized pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace, seal jars.
10. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.