Japanese Onion Soup
1/2 stalk celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon ground ginger, I use fresh grated
1/4-1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (to taste)
1 (15-ounce container chicken broth or stock
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups fresh mushrooms, brushed and sliced
1 beef bouillon cube or 3 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives or 2 teaspoons dried chives for garnish
1. In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients except chives.
2. Place over high heat and bring to a rolling boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Continue coking for 45 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and strain out the vegetables.
4. Place a few of the chopped mushrooms from the strained vegetables in the bottom of each soup bowl and pour strained broth over them.
5. Sprinkle soup with chives and serve.