Grilled Vegetable Caponata
3 medium eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1. Prepare a medium-hot grill.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Generously brush the eggplant and onion slices with the olive oil and arrange on separate baking sheets. Roast in the oven, turning once, 10 to 15 minutes, until soft.
3/ Transfer the eggplant and onions to the grill and cook, turning often, until nicely browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. Place the raisins in a small saucepan and cover with the wine. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; cook 3 minutes. Set aside to allow the raisins to plump.
5. In a large bowl, combine the raisins and wine, the tomatoes, olives, vinegar, and capers. Chop the grilled eggplant and onions into small pieces and add to the tomato mixture; toss well to combine. Stir in the parsley and slat and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until the mixture mellows, 6 to 8 hours or over night (or up to 1 week).
6. Before serving, taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve warm, chilled, or at room temperature.