What! You thought I was kidding about all the green tomatoes I have? This is my favorite Green Tomato Cake recipe. It's spicy and moist....and a great way to use up (get rid of) all those extra green tomatoes. I chop and freeze bags of these so I can make this cake all winter. Frost with your favorite cream cheese or brown butter frosting, or simply dust it with confectioners' sugar.
This also makes great cupcakes.
Green Tomato Cake
4 cups chopped green tomatoes
1. Place chopped tomatoes in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt. Let stand 10 minutes. Place in a colander, rinse with cold water and drain.
2. preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan, or a 10-12 cup Bundt pan.
3. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until creamy.
4. Sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add raisins and nuts to dry mixture; add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Dough will be very stiff. Mix well.
5. Add drained tomatoes and mix well. Pour into the prepared pan.
6. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
Cook's Note: If using Bundt pan cool in pan for 15-20 minutes then turn out on to rack to cool completely.