How long has it been since you made Chicken Fried Steak, mashed potatoes and cream gravy. I can taste it already. This is the perfect meal for a cold snowy or rainy night.
Authentic chicken-fried steak is crunchy outside, tender inside, and served with plenty of cream gravy made from pan drippings. Bring it on!
2 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
1. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon, each salt and black pepper over steaks.
2. Combine cracker crumbs, 1 cup flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper.
3. Whisk together 3/4 cup milk and eggs. Dredge steaks in cracker crumb mixture' dip in milk mixture, and dredge in cracker mixture again.
4. Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. Pour oil into a 12-inch skillet; heat to 360 degrees F. (Do not use a nonstick skillet.) Fry steaks, in batches, 10 minutes. Turn an fry each batch 4-5 minutes more or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack on a jelly-roll pan. Keep steaks warm in a 225 degree oven. Carefully drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
5. Whisk together remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and 4 cooks milk. Pour mixture into reserved drippings in skillet; cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Serve gray with steaks and mashed potatoes.