This was inspired by the Bourbon County Extension Service newsletter this month. If you see the (optional) after an ingredient, you know I've been working on the recipe. Either way it is very good.
I hate to start using my frozen and canned goods this early, but we have had a short summer this year and first frost has already been here. I used some of my frozen cabbage for this. Wonderful served with kielbasa, ham or pork roast.
Cabbage Noodle Casserole
5 strips turkey bacon (I used regular bacon)
1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove and set aside.
2. Add oil or butter, salt and pepper to the skillet with the bacon drippings. Add chopped cabbage, peppers, onions, and tomato, if using and stir until coated. Cover and cook 7-10 minutes.
3. Crumble bacon and add to cabbage. Stir in noodles.
4. Spoon into a greased 2 quart casserole dish; cover and bake 25-30 minutes at 325 degrees.
5. Remove from oven. Spread sour cream over the top and sprinkle with paprika.
6. Bake 5 minutes more.