Using Astronomy to Teach Physics
· Exciting discoveries and technologies in astronomy and space science are rich in ideas and physics that can enhance physics instruction at any level.
· Our modern conception of the universe should be part of every student's education.
· Physics students should understand the physics that underlies this conception.
What Needs to Be Done?
· Examine strategies, share ideas, and plans for enriching the teaching of physics with research results from astronomy, astrophysics, and space science.
· Prepare a list of action items – texts to write, problems to compile, modules to design, web materials to use, ideas to develop.
· Be inspired to write articles for the March 2012 American Journal of Physics, a special issue on “Using Astronomy and Space Science Research in Physics Courses.”
Develop ideas stirred up by the workshop and
bring them to the Gordon Research Conference on “Astronomy and Physics” in
June 2012 for fuller, more thorough discussion.