This Chickpea and Date Tagine is a delicious and flavorful vegetarian stew that comes together in just minutes. The balance of savory and sweet is incredible, and it works really well as leftovers too. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yields 4 servings, 7pts+ each
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon corriander
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 14 oz. can of diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 10 dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Cilantro for garnish, if desired
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion and cook 10 minutes until starting to brown.
- Add in garlic, the spices, the tomatoes, and the water, stir to combine, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Finally, add in the chickpeas, dates, and lemon juice, and keep on the stove until heated through.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired, and enjoy!