BWG is now open to new members.
Most of our members are published authors--some with many publications to their credit. Many
also have manuscripts that are nearing completion or in the submission or publication process. Our goal is to help each other become better writers through hard work, thoughtful critiques, and mutual support.
At our meetings, we work on group projects and read excerpts of our works in progress for the group to critique. In order to be able to give the work of each of our members the attention it deserves, we need to limit the size of our group. At present, however, we are open to accepting new members.
We are looking for writers who are:
1. Compatible with group members and the group dynamic
2. Committed to becoming better writers and to helping others to do likewise
3. Ready to contribute to the group by bringing written work to meetings
4. Capable of giving and accepting thoughtful critiques of written work
5. Committed to continue a regular and sustained participation with the group
6. Ready to support and participate in BWG projects and activities
Membership in the Bethlehem Writers Group is by invitation only. The membership process is as follows:
1. Writers should express their interest in BWG by using the form on the "Contact Us" page.
2. When we are open to new members, we will respond with an email inviting the writer to submit a writing resume, a statement of which BWG activities the writer would want to work on, and a 1500-2000 word writing sample for prose. Poets should submit four poems.
3. BWG will review each application. If we are interested, we will invite applicants to visit up to two meetings to get a feel for how we might suit each other.
4. After the applicant has visited two meetings, BWG will consider extending an invitation to join BWG.
5. If a writer accepts our invitation to become a member, they must pay their dues before attending another meeting. (See dues policy below).
BWG PROJECTS AND ACTIVITIES:
1. Bethlehem Writers Roundtable--the literary journal of the Bethlehem Writers Group
2. Anthologies--editing, layout, cover design, etc.
3. Contest management. (All BWG members participate in judging the contest.)
4. Promotion and Marketing
5. Social Media
6. Website and Technology
7. Bethlehem Writers Workshops (a forthcoming service of BWG)
- Our membership year runs from March 1 through the end of the following February.
- Dues for new members for a full or partial year of membership are $40 if joining between March 1 and August 31, and $25 if joining between September 1 and the end of February.
- Renewing members pay annual dues of $30, due on or before March 1.
- Renewing members have a 30-day grace period after the due date to pay their annual dues. If annual dues remain unpaid after 30 days, their membership will expire.
- Dues for returning members whose memberships have expired are $40 to become reinstated as a member of BWG for the remainder of that membership year, regardless of the date of reinstatement.
If you have any questions about BWG membership, send us a message using the form on the Contact Us page.