Home

 
The Bernardo Plantation was established in 1821  by Jared E. Groce II.  He brought around 100 enslaved laborers with him from Virginia and many of them had apparently only been 4 years removed from their homes in Africa.  Mr. Groce became an economic force in pre-republic days and was instrumental in providing Sam Houston's army the respite to provision and prepare to fight Santa Ana.  The site is actually two plantations, the Bernardo Plantation to the south and the Pleasant Hill Plantation to the north.


This drawing depicts the Bernardo Main House as it was at the time of the Texas Revolution.  General Sam Houston received the two cannons shown at the lower right, named the Twin Sisters, at the Bernardo Plantation just days before fighting the Battle of San Jacinto.  Click on the image for a larger view.

 The Bernardo Plantation Archaeology Project was founded by Gregg Dimmick, James Woodrick, and Greg Brown, and is managed collaboratively by the Community Archaeology Research Institute, Inc. (Robert Marcom and Carol McDavid, Principal Investigators); Jim Bruseth with the Texas Historical Commission.; Greg Brown, with Cowboys and Indians Magazine; James Woodrick (Project Historian), Gregg Dimmick with The Friends of San Jacinto, Inc.; and Charlie Gordy with the Houston Archaeological Society.
 

The Bernardo Plantation Archaeology Project has been funded by the Houston Endowment, the Summerlee Foundation, the Summerfield G. Roberts Foundation, and several private donors. In addition, significant assistance (in expertise, time and resources) has been provided by the Texas Historical Commission. We have also received countless hours of assistance from members of the Houston Archeological Society, the Texas Archeological Society, and many other dedicated volunteers. A detailed list of organizations and individuals that have provided funding for the project will be soon be included on this website.

 We anticipate that the field work will take place over the next several years and we are currently seeking further funding.